• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS requirements question

exNavyOffRec

I briefly spoke to both. There's nothing negative in my background.
well by the book they cannot turn you away, you meet the requirements per the PA, and people with lower GPA's than you were picked up on the last board. You have a few routes to go, you can send them an email saying you desire to apply and see what they say via email, if they say you are not qualified you can then contact your congressmen and they will experience some pain, or you could tell them that while you know you do not have the highest GPA you know people that were picked up with lower GPA's and you wish to work on an application, take the ASTB, and gather your LOR's and see what happens, if they say no then you can go the causing them pain route, or you can look for an OR out of your area, either way you go work via email to have a paper trail, and get names.

wnnabpilot

i recently emailed an officier recruiting station in Jacksonville, FL. The email i sent and the response i got are below.

"I'm interested in becoming a Naval Officer. Currently I am a student (junior) at the University of Central Florida. My expected graduation is May of 2013, I will be graduating with a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I recently went to an enlisted recruiting station looking for information on becoming an officer but was turned away due to the fact that my GPA is currently a 2.7. Unfortunately my first several semesters of college weren't my best but I made the changes that I needed to make and am now doing well. I have heard from several sources that others with lower GPA's and less technical majors have made it through, so i have not lost hope yet. I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance you could provide to me to make this happen. I look forward to hearing from you."

"Unfortunately in today's economy and how many people that are applying a 2.7 for ANY degree is not competitive at all. I don't know where you are getting your information from all the data we get from the past boards the average GPA of applicants getting selected is 3.0 or above. Sorry for the bad you still have time to get your GPA up and if you would like to fly you have to be degree complete before you can apply for an Officer position."

So I guess the next step is to contact a congressmen or maybe look for another Recruiter? NavyOffrec, I don't suppose you had any luck finding a point of contact around Orlando? I noticed in the email he said average GPA is 3.0 and above so obviously there are ones below I'm not sure if i should bring that up or not.

BackOrdered

Contributor
So I guess the next step is to contact a congressmen or maybe look for another Recruiter? NavyOffrec, I don't suppose you had any luck finding a point of contact around Orlando? I noticed in the email he said average GPA is 3.0 and above so obviously there are ones below I'm not sure if i should bring that up or not.

You still have more than enough time to have a chance and this recruiter, while correct, didn't communicate that with you well.

Because you don't have a degree yet and have over a year I assume to get your final GPA, the recruiter didn't feel it would set you up for success to start an officer package now. Once you graduate and score that 3.0+ I'm sure you are capable of, he will do business so don't be discouraged. Most that apply for OCS as juniors shoot for BDCP like stats and you have to have insane stats in this day and age to be considered for that program.

exNavyOffRec

You still have more than enough time to have a chance and this recruiter, while correct, didn't communicate that with you well.

Because you don't have a degree yet and have over a year I assume to get your final GPA, the recruiter didn't feel it would set you up for success to start an officer package now. Once you graduate and score that 3.0+ I'm sure you are capable of, he will do business so don't be discouraged. Most that apply for OCS as juniors shoot for BDCP like stats and you have to have insane stats in this day and age to be considered for that program.

According to his previous post he graduates in less than 6 months.

exNavyOffRec

i recently emailed an officier recruiting station in Jacksonville, FL. The email i sent and the response i got are below.

"I'm interested in becoming a Naval Officer. Currently I am a student (junior) at the University of Central Florida. My expected graduation is May of 2013, I will be graduating with a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I recently went to an enlisted recruiting station looking for information on becoming an officer but was turned away due to the fact that my GPA is currently a 2.7. Unfortunately my first several semesters of college weren't my best but I made the changes that I needed to make and am now doing well. I have heard from several sources that others with lower GPA's and less technical majors have made it through, so i have not lost hope yet. I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance you could provide to me to make this happen. I look forward to hearing from you."

"Unfortunately in today's economy and how many people that are applying a 2.7 for ANY degree is not competitive at all. I don't know where you are getting your information from all the data we get from the past boards the average GPA of applicants getting selected is 3.0 or above. Sorry for the bad you still have time to get your GPA up and if you would like to fly you have to be degree complete before you can apply for an Officer position."

Email back and tell him that the info came from the Program Manager for Pilot/NFO programs (which isn't me) via an active recruiter who also had a few people selected for Pilot who's GPA was below 3.o and that while you GPA is below the competitive profile there were those selected with similar GPA's but they had really good ASTB scores and that you would like an opportunity to take the ASTB to see if you could be one of those people who might have a lower GPA but high ASTB. You could also mention that a recent email from NRC said a person can apply up to one year from graduation for DA programs

The above would give him a chance to redem himself, keep all emails from him for use later, let us know what he says.

BackOrdered

Contributor
According to his previous post he graduates in less than 6 months.

I read "My expected graduation is May of 2013" in his email conversation with the officer recruiter.

All the same, NRD Jax recruited me and I think that is a little harsh of a response coming from those guys.

wnnabpilot, what are your grades looking like in 6 months? Above a 3.0?

exNavyOffRec

I read "My expected graduation is May of 2013" in his email conversation with the officer recruiter.

All the same, NRD Jax recruited me and I think that is a little harsh of a response coming from those guys.

wnnabpilot, what are your grades looking like in 6 months? Above a 3.0?

Good catch, missed that, I wonder if he adjusted his grad date again?

Jax OR's have been known to be like that for the past few years, they won't even give the nuclear trained officers who fly down from Millington to give tours any assistance.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Good catch, missed that, I wonder if he adjusted his grad date again?

Jax OR's have been known to be like that for the past few years, they won't even give the nuclear trained officers who fly down from Millington to give tours any assistance.

I was NRD Jax's BDCP "ward" for 2 years in college and stashed there after OCS for 6 months. I don't have a bad thing to say about that time. If what you say is true, I'm sorry to hear that.

wnnabpilot you appear to have time and 3.0 is not far off. If you want it bad enough, I wouldn't worry as time is an ally for you to improve. I would just do whatever it takes in a year to prove to NRD Jax they missed out on a promising Officer Candidate.

exNavyOffRec

I was NRD Jax's BDCP "ward" for 2 years in college and stashed there after OCS for 6 months. I don't have a bad thing to say about that time. If what you say is true, I'm sorry to hear that.

wnnabpilot you appear to have time and 3.0 is not far off. If you want it bad enough, I wouldn't worry as time is an ally for you to improve. I would just do whatever it takes in a year to prove to NRD Jax they missed out on a promising Officer Candidate.

I know several people that have been assigned to NRD Jax, I believe when the changeout happened is when the attitude down there changed to "its all about me"

wnnabpilot

tiz84, Im pretty far into my degree program so that 2.7 is heavily weighted, my last semester here i wont even be full time anymore since im running out of classes. I think even if i made straight A's from here on out I would still be in the 2.9 range.

NavyOffRec, I emailed back Ill keep you posted.

To clear up any confusion about my grad date, mine is may 2013. I think people were getting it confused with user Mchales Navy grad date of May/August

exNavyOffRec

tiz84, Im pretty far into my degree program so that 2.7 is heavily weighted, my last semester here i wont even be full time anymore since im running out of classes. I think even if i made straight A's from here on out I would still be in the 2.9 range.

NavyOffRec, I emailed back Ill keep you posted.

To clear up any confusion about my grad date, mine is may 2013. I think people were getting it confused with user Mchales Navy grad date of May/August

Thanks for the clarification.

You should be good to apply for the Oct/Nov board given your graduation date.

McHale's Navy

sighted nothing..sank same.
I know several people that have been assigned to NRD Jax, I believe when the changeout happened is when the attitude down there changed to "its all about me"
I was on the phone with someone from NRD Jax earlier today. Although it sounded promising, I was told that I couldn't go through them because I'm not in their district. Apparently it's called "poaching." Back to square one again. Also, where can I register for the ASTB?

exNavyOffRec

I was on the phone with someone from NRD Jax earlier today. Although it sounded promising, I was told that I couldn't go through them because I'm not in their district. Apparently it's called "poaching." Back to square one again. Also, where can I register for the ASTB?

You must be in NRD Miami's area then.