• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS requirements question

mjv305

ENS SNA
I'm a junior in college studying aerospace engineering with a 2.7GPA (I wasn't the best student my first few semesters of college but have improved significantly). I recently spoke to an enlisted recruiter about information on OCS. She told me that my GPA was too low and that the minimum was 3.0-3.5 to be referred to an officer recruiter. I've read on here about people getting in with lower gpas in simpler majors that this. Does the information she gave seem accurate to you guys and do you have any recommendations?

<---Pro Rec SNA with 2.7... Just make it clear as day that there is more to you than a 2.7 GPA..

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
When the boards look at you they aren't looking at your package and thinking "oh, this kid has a 2.97 GPA.". Its more of a "well, he may not have a 4.0, but he played baseball in school so he knows how to be part of a team, he volunteers at a soup kitchen so he is involved in the community, all of his letters of recommendation say that he is a stellar candidate, and he tested through the roof on the ASTB". In summation, don't worry what the enlisted recruiter says, go to an officer recruiter and get a good evaluation of where you stand right now and what you can do to improve your chances.

That may or may not be the case....! It certainly was not the case for me and I just had a 3.3 GPA and scored like a 48 7/7/6; if I recall correctly (I have never played team sports or was extremely involved with the community). I did have three years of pretty good work experience as a team member and leader, that might have helped as well as some solid LORs. But as we both know, it is all about the whole person and not just the GPA.

I think there is an actual no lower than this GPA magic number.... I cannot recall if it is a 2.o or a 2.4... Anyone knows?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I had 2.6 gpa with Aerospace Engineering as a major. However, I chose to explain my reasons why to the board (legit reasons, not me being lazy and not studying). I also bounced back with half my MS degree in the same major with a 3.9. Its definitely possible and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

exNavyOffRec

That may or may not be the case....! It certainly was not the case for me and I just had a 3.3 GPA and scored like a 48 7/7/6; if I recall correctly (I have never played team sports or was extremely involved with the community). I did have three years of pretty good work experience as a team member and leader, that might have helped as well as some solid LORs. But as we both know, it is all about the whole person and not just the GPA.

I think there is an actual no lower than this GPA magic number.... I cannot recall if it is a 2.o or a 2.4... Anyone knows?

Minimum GPA for aviation programs is 2.5

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
In the Jet/E-2/P-3/P-8 world perhaps. In the Romeo world we have to be both NA/NFO. :p You are in the Sierra, you would not know... Kidding browsef!

We have just as many buttons! ... >_>

And I didn't have many extracurriculars in college, or much volunteer work either. I did go to a military boarding school in high school and did reasonably well in college. Maybe that tipped it in my favor. I have no idea. Not to beat a dead horse, but "Whole Person Concept" is real. A lot of us were (are) not superstars.

McHale's Navy

sighted nothing..sank same.
I think many took extra time off with the holiday so I am still trying to find a good point of contact.
Sir, I wanted to start by saying that some of your recent posts concerning OCS have given me hope. I'm currently a senior at the University of South Florida, majoring in History with a 2.8 GPA. I recently contacted an OR here in Tampa, and was turned away. I was told that the Navy is not accepting anything less than a 3.0 GPA at this time. I'm also currently a Select Reservist, with the full backing of my command. Can you point me in the direction of an OR who will give me the time of day? Please contact me at jrys@mail.usf.edu.
V/R
AD3 Joshua Rys

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
We have just as many buttons! ... >_>

And I didn't have many extracurriculars in college, or much volunteer work either. I did go to a military boarding school in high school and did reasonably well in college. Maybe that tipped it in my favor. I have no idea. Not to beat a dead horse, but "Whole Person Concept" is real. A lot of us were (are) not superstars.

I still can't believe an OR even talked to you with that nasty beard you had.

exNavyOffRec

Sir, I wanted to start by saying that some of your recent posts concerning OCS have given me hope. I'm currently a senior at the University of South Florida, majoring in History with a 2.8 GPA. I recently contacted an OR here in Tampa, and was turned away. I was told that the Navy is not accepting anything less than a 3.0 GPA at this time. I'm also currently a Select Reservist, with the full backing of my command. Can you point me in the direction of an OR who will give me the time of day? Please contact me at jrys@mail.usf.edu.
V/R
AD3 Joshua Rys

when do you graduate? you need to get that GPA up more to be competitive, your next shot at a board would be October/November.