• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS requirements question

wnnabpilot

I'm a junior in college studying aerospace engineering with a 2.7GPA (I wasn't the best student my first few semesters of college but have improved significantly). I recently spoke to an enlisted recruiter about information on OCS. She told me that my GPA was too low and that the minimum was 3.0-3.5 to be referred to an officer recruiter. I've read on here about people getting in with lower gpas in simpler majors that this. Does the information she gave seem accurate to you guys and do you have any recommendations?

TXSooner07

None
I got in with a 2.95 GPA in an easier major (Psychology) and there are plenty of others in similar situations. My recommendation would be to find the Officer Recruiter yourself without having to work with an enlisted recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

I'm a junior in college studying aerospace engineering with a 2.7GPA (I wasn't the best student my first few semesters of college but have improved significantly). I recently spoke to an enlisted recruiter about information on OCS. She told me that my GPA was too low and that the minimum was 3.0-3.5 to be referred to an officer recruiter. I've read on here about people getting in with lower gpas in simpler majors that this. Does the information she gave seem accurate to you guys and do you have any recommendations?
That recruiter is full of BS and I don't mean Bachelor of Science, you need to find an Officer recruiter and take the ASTB you do good on that you should have a decent shot, they will also look at how you have progressed through college. If you want PM me what major city you are near and I will send you the info for an OR.

also... on the last board people were picked up with 2.7 GPA's for pilot.

andrewreuther1

That recruiter is full of BS and I don't mean Bachelor of Science, you need to find an Officer recruiter and take the ASTB you do good on that you should have a decent shot, they will also look at how you have progressed through college. If you want PM me what major city you are near and I will send you the info for an OR.

also... on the last board people were picked up with 2.7 GPA's for pilot.
NavyOffRec,
Thank you for all the great info you have posted on here, much appreciated!....I am about a year away from my degree and would like to get in touch with a OSO. If you have contact information for an OSO in the San Diego area that would be great. I have tried the " find a recruiter" tool on the Navy's website and only get a 1800 number that never picks up. I also tried to find one through the local enlisted recruiting office but they wont refer me to an OSO. I am new to the forum so I am not able to PM but if you feel more comfortable to you can email me at andrewreuther1@gmail.com
Thank you for your help
Andrew

Sonog

pilot
I got pro rec'd with a 2.6 undergrad gpa in engineering. But I also made sure the rest of my application was as good as can be, and I also had the luck of a board with a very high selection rate.

wnnabpilot

ah i was wondering how to PM here i see you need 50 posts, NavyOffRec, thanks for the reply i sent you a message through the conversation option because i didn't see how to PM but im not sure you saw it. Im located in Orlando, Florida (i attend University of Central Florida) any help with finding an officer recruiter would be greatly appreciated. also my email is wnnabpilot@hotmail.com

SoOthersMayLive

pilot
When the boards look at you they aren't looking at your package and thinking "oh, this kid has a 2.97 GPA.". Its more of a "well, he may not have a 4.0, but he played baseball in school so he knows how to be part of a team, he volunteers at a soup kitchen so he is involved in the community, all of his letters of recommendation say that he is a stellar candidate, and he tested through the roof on the ASTB". In summation, don't worry what the enlisted recruiter says, go to an officer recruiter and get a good evaluation of where you stand right now and what you can do to improve your chances.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I got picked up with a 2.605 GPA in Mechanical Engineering. Unlike other accession sources (NROTC, Academy) the OCS folks are being pulled from a far broader pool of people, so the "whole person" idea is factored in more highly. Also, the answer will always be "No!" if you don't apply.

My $0.02 from all two of my days as a salty Naval Officer.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I got picked up with a 2.605 GPA in Mechanical Engineering. Unlike other accession sources (NROTC, Academy) the OCS folks are being pulled from a far broader pool of people, so the "whole person" idea is factored in more highly. Also, the answer will always be "No!" if you don't apply.

My $0.02 from all two of my days as a salty Naval Officer.

Just graduated eh? Congratulations, and welcome to the butter bar club.

mid1510

That's because we're all just "stick monkeys" right? :D

Your words not mine :). But seriously, having chosen NFO over pilot, I never saw the point in NFO v. pilot arguments.

You are all (for me, eventually) aircrew...and I see that roughly half of the Rhino, Prowler, and Hawkeye squadron are commanded by NFOs.

It's gotta beat the hell out of being a swo....

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
It's gotta beat the hell out of being a swo....

Dunno, but I wouldn't trade flying for just about any job out there.

I can definitely see the appeal in being an NFO in some communities. Helos obviously don't have NFOs, so my knowledge on your designator is limited only to what I hear and read about. Though I think neither side can completely understand the other, having not done the other's job, we can at least have a healthy respect for the amount of work that goes into earning those wings and putting them into action in the fleet.

And to the OP: You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to be a naval officer, or an aviator, but be prepared to develop some DAMN good study skills along the way. It's sink or swim, especially at first where the material is shot at you like a firehose. Just put in a good package, apply, work hard, and don't give up no matter how much life sucks, because it definitely will, even when flying. But yes, it's worth it :)