• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS graduate (SWO) AMA

Since we go from ROM to boot camp, do they just place all of our luggage and ROM clothes in a protective area until we finish?
Yeah so you place all of your stuff In the lucky bag room, you get access to it during holiday stand down, and graduation week. The candidate officers could be kinda rough when it comes to the handling of your bags, if you got anything fragile like your laptop make sure you have a protective carrying case.

Csniffen08

Yeah so you place all of your stuff In the lucky bag room, you get access to it during holiday stand down, and graduation week. The candidate officers could be kinda rough when it comes to the handling of your bags, if you got anything fragile like your laptop make sure you have a protective carrying case.

Thank you!

Do they do the initial weigh in still at start of OCS or do they do one in ROM before hand?
They do it at the start of Indoc Phase, I guess my suggestion for people coming into OCS pretty fat because they couldn't get in shape beforehand is just water fast throughout RoM. There were a few people that got attrited simply because they were too fat. I've done prolonged fasts before and lost weight really fast that way.

Csniffen08

Might be a dumb question, but for shower use during OCS do you recommend bar soap with a container to store it in or are you allowed use a loofah with body wash?

Roorayroy

I have a few questions. Thanks for any insight you can give!

1. I've seen reference to running days vs. strength training days. Does strength training mean barbell and dumbbell lifts?

2. How did people generally fare on the PFA planks and did they ever institute that 2 second pushup cadence?

3. For recovery, does NEX sell any foam rollers or is there easily accessible ice?

4. Are goggles authorized for 3rd class swim?

5. If asked for a song during RLP, do you actually sing or just shout the lyrics?

Last edited:
I have a few questions. Thanks for any insight you can give!

1. I've seen reference to running days vs. strength training days. Does strength training mean barbell and dumbbell lifts?

2. How did people generally fare on the PFA planks and did they ever institute that 2 second pushup cadence?

3. For recovery, does NEX sell any foam rollers or is there easily accessible ice?

4. Are goggles authorized for 3rd class swim?

5. If asked for a song during RLP, do you actually sing or just shout the lyrics?

1: oh boy I would have loved to be able to actually life barbell and dumbell lifts, otherwise I wouldn't have lost so much muscle and gained so much fat lol. But Strength days are a HIIT bodyweight circuit of whatever you can do without equipment I.E. push ups burpees, leg lifts etc.

2: a lot of people started to get near max scores on the planks for my class, I started maxing my out towards the end as well and I started with around a 2:45 time in the initial strength test.

3. Yeah you have access to ice and the next sell foam rollers and muscle rollers, you also have access to a SMART clinic where they give you some physical therapy sessions. Sometimes the rollers are sold out also your room has to be inspection ready so you can't just leave those lying around and they have to fit inside the lockable drawer. Also, you'll be able to take some from the desk in the main hallway, should they not all be taken.

4. goggles are not authorized for the 3rd class swim, I failed it the first time around the passed it on the second go and I am a real bad swimmer.

5. I do not think anyone got asked to sing during RLP, however you will have to sing them for the OPI inspection which is the last uniform inspection you get (8th-week inspection).

ryjsn11

What were the responsibilities of being the section leader? Did you have to do stuff like call out cadences, etc.

What were the responsibilities of being the section leader? Did you have to do stuff like call out cadences, etc.
Being section leader, you just basically direct the plan of the day. You tell the company what time you guys gotta get to certain areas, post them out of their hatches. Get the count get them going, you can call cadence if you want past indoc phase typically companies have certain people to do it. It's pretty easy, you can mess up, you'll just get worked out no big deal.

Meyerkord

pilot
Might be a dumb question, but for shower use during OCS do you recommend bar soap with a container to store it in or are you allowed use a loofah with body wash?
Honestly, whatever you want. I don't think they'd give you any trouble bringing a loofah. As long as you don't leave it lying around during the day you should be good.

GodSpeed1997

Going to OCS in October and just wanted to get a gouge on what the longest run might be individually and in formation? What’s the pace like when running in formation and what would you say the weekly mileage is like? Thanks in advance

Going to OCS in October and just wanted to get a gouge on what the longest run might be individually and in formation? What’s the pace like when running in formation and what would you say the weekly mileage is like? Thanks in advance
What's up bro, when I was going through it I only ran maybe no more than 10 miles a week. when it comes to running information it's not too bad there are slow groups and fast groups, just go with the slow groups. To be honest, even though I came into OCS pretty fit I tend to run with the slow group because it's just easier on your body in the long run, and OCS PT isn't meant to make you in good shape it's just there to make you miserable. Unless you are out of shape you really don't have much to worry about. But maybe I'm pretty biased because pre-OCS and post OCS I'm an avid gym rat. Hope your shins are conditioned for running plenty of folks broke their shins/legs somehow and got disqualified. if you're not used to either jump roping or running you should start bro.

DCman1018

What's up bro, when I was going through it I only ran maybe no more than 10 miles a week. when it comes to running information it's not too bad there are slow groups and fast groups, just go with the slow groups. To be honest, even though I came into OCS pretty fit I tend to run with the slow group because it's just easier on your body in the long run, and OCS PT isn't meant to make you in good shape it's just there to make you miserable. Unless you are out of shape you really don't have much to worry about. But maybe I'm pretty biased because pre-OCS and post OCS I'm an avid gym rat. Hope your shins are conditioned for running plenty of folks broke their shins/legs somehow and got disqualified. if you're not used to either jump roping or running you should start bro.
As an instructor at OCS I find everything you say to be accurate. haha