• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS graduate (SWO) AMA

Hey just recently graduated from navy OCS you can ask me any question you would like.
Package stats were as follows. I never rolled (went to H class)
3.68 gpa (psychology)
54 OAR
2 LORs 1 from AmeriCorps supervisor and 1 from a church pastor

Quick Tip
Most rolls and attrites are physical
if you show up in great shape, you're going to have a relatively easy time at OCS, the moment you start thinking about going down this route is the moment you want to start preparing, go to the gym, build some muscle, get your shins used to running, jump roping, and sprinting.
I was never a strong runner but I used to jump rope a lot, thus my shins my conditioned to be able to handle the running.
Pre OCS I was able to do 20 pull ups in a row bw of 185. sets of 10 pull ups with a 45lb weighted plates. dips with 90lb for sets of 10. repping out 405 on the deadlift for sets of 10. Thus overall the workouts for me were annoying more than hard.
Academics
the academics were overall not difficult, it's just that the environment that you are in makes learning hard. Being tired all of the time, having to worry about room inspections, not having a lot of free time to study etc. Say you couldn't pay attention in one class because you were fighting not to fall asleep, you will fall behind and you will have to spend extra time self-studying in order to be able to pass the exam. For myself, I really didn't learn much from the lectures instead I had to rely on my shipmates and self-study to actually learn the material. Some people in my class got the material right off the bat, for me not so much.
Inspections
In my opinion the best part about OCS, every inspection is unique and intense in its own way. It all really depends on who you get as your instructor. Make sure you spend the time studying the knowledge required for these inspections and you'll be good.

Last edited:

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I've been curious about running distances each week. The official OCS website says, "successful candidates can run 15 miles a week", so that's what I'm prepping for. What was your experience with run distances during your time at OCS?

I've been curious about running distances each week. The official OCS website says, "successful candidates can run 15 miles a week", so that's what I'm prepping for. What was your experience with run distances during your time at OCS?
we didn't really run all that much IMO, we ran about 3 miles or did indoor sprints 2 or 3 times a week. I was never a strong runner my run time was about 10:30 for the 1.5 it was all about having your shins conditioned so that they are used to running often and for long distances. I jumped roped for about 30 mins every day and it was enough to prep me for OCS.

Firsr
Hey just recently graduated from navy OCS you can ask me any question you would like.
Package stats were as follows. I never rolled (went to H class)
3.68 gpa (psychology)
54 OAR
2 LORs 1 from AmeriCorps supervisor and 1 from a church pastor

Quick Tip
Most rolls and attrites are physical
if you show up in great shape, you're going to have a relatively easy time at OCS, the moment you start thinking about going down this route is the moment you want to start preparing, go to the gym, build some muscle, get your shins used to running, jump roping, and sprinting.
I was never a strong runner but I used to jump rope a lot, thus my shins my conditioned to be able to handle the running.
Pre OCS I was able to do 20 pull ups in a row bw of 185. sets of 10 pull ups with a 45lb weighted plates. dips with 90lb for sets of 10. repping out 405 on the deadlift for sets of 10. Thus overall the workouts for me were annoying more than hard.
Academics
the academics were overall not difficult, it's just that the environment that you are in makes learning hard. Being tired all of the time, having to worry about room inspections, not having a lot of free time to study etc. Say you couldn't pay attention in one class because you were fighting not to fall asleep, you will fall behind and you will have to spend extra time self-studying in order to be able to pass the exam. For myself, I really didn't learn much from the lectures instead I had to rely on my shipmates and self-study to actually learn the material. Some people in my class got the material right off the bat, for me not so much.
Inspections
In my opinion the best part about OCS, every inspection is unique and intense in its own way. It all really depends on who you get as your instructor. Make sure you spend the time studying the knowledge required for these inspections and you'll be good.
Firstly congratulations on your graduation.
As a SWO after you graduate, do you have another school or you just report straight to your first command?

jtk2132

Pro Rec-Y SWO
@saltytoast what would you say is the average run time? I can run my 1.5 in roughly 11/11:30 currently. I figure I’m going to be on the slower end of the spectrum. Been out for 10 years and getting back into shape and being a little older I’ve gotten slower.

Also I’m assuming the DIs aren’t totally getting in your face due to social distancing? How did all this COVID restrictions affect training? We’re you allowed visitors for graduation?

Meyerkord

pilot
@saltytoast what would you say is the average run time? I can run my 1.5 in roughly 11/11:30 currently. I figure I’m going to be on the slower end of the spectrum. Been out for 10 years and getting back into shape and being a little older I’ve gotten slower
You’ll be just fine. I showed up running a 12:30 and was down to 10:15 by the end. You’ll have people who run it in 8 minutes and people who run it in 16 minutes, so you shouldn’t have any issues blending in with the pack. A lot of times when we ran, one of our class officers would pace the faster runners and another would pace the slower ones. Just hop in wherever you feel like. Everyone ends up scattered by the end anyways

eahmed4

Please do you know by any means how long is BDOC?
BDOC is nine weeks long. Ive gotten conflicting info online. Also have JOOD training as well. Not sure if you have to do that before reporting to your first ship. But overall, it should be about four months of training before reaching your first ship.

Firsr

Firstly congratulations on your graduation.
As a SWO after you graduate, do you have another school or you just report straight to your first command?
I fill be reporting to BDOC then JOOD school I don't report to my ship until after about 5 months of finishing OCS.

@saltytoast what would you say is the average run time? I can run my 1.5 in roughly 11/11:30 currently. I figure I’m going to be on the slower end of the spectrum. Been out for 10 years and getting back into shape and being a little older I’ve gotten slower.

Also I’m assuming the DIs aren’t totally getting in your face due to social distancing? How did all this COVID restrictions affect training? We’re you allowed visitors for graduation?
my 1.5 mile is just about 10:30 and I never really had any trouble with the runs at OCS, I never really got sharked or singled out during PT but that's because I came to OCS in pretty good shape. Most of the people that get yelled at most during PT or whatnot are people that are out of shape/weak. DIs still get in your face quite a bit. But I would say around 10 to 12 min 1.5 is the average.

zarevich

my 1.5 mile is just about 10:30 and I never really had any trouble with the runs at OCS, I never really got sharked or singled out during PT but that's because I came to OCS in pretty good shape. Most of the people that get yelled at most during PT or whatnot are people that are out of shape/weak. DIs still get in your face quite a bit. But I would say around 10 to 12 min 1.5 is the average.
What location is BDOC and JOOD?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Any news on families at graduation, or when they'll start to allow families at the ceremony again?