• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS, chances and decisions

Fire17

Thanks for the help guys,

I have been lurking the forums the past few days obtaining answers to most of my questions.... I only wish that there was a fast forward button on my college! something like the universal remote control from Click...

Danin

A bit tired from the whole process, so any help, advice would be great and much appreciated.

Info:
I graduated a few months ago from a top tier school with a 3.35 GPA in Economics and International Relations.

Have volunteered in community since High School. Some of which include; teaching ESL to immigrant parents, building homes for people who are homeless, fundraising money for orphans in China and rape victims in Congo.

When it comes to leadership, I have managed a business since I was 14 which lead to great success. I have also opened up my own business in college where most of the proceeds went to charity to help rape victims in Congo. I have also countless internships in investment management and marketing (abroad and locally).

I have about 8 LORs. One from a colleague, manager from past internship, mentor of 5 years (president of a international company), friend from college, executive director from non profit organization, 1 professor, 1 former Director of NATO and one from a Navy 3 star Admiral.

I know my LORs are pretty solid, my leadership skills and volunteer experience are pretty strong but......the ASTB....

So here is the bummer. I am not good at taking tests. I took the first test, had a week to prep in between 2 volunteer jobs and scored a 39 (form 5). I retook it and got a 44 (form 3). During the second test, I did not manage my time wisely with the MATH which kicked my bum and then my computer froze which took up more time. Anyways, I am not a dummy considering I got into a good school and graduated with a good GPA. But I do recommend studying real hard. I'm happy for all who did so well on their ASTB but I definitely will stick with the 44 for now and hope they look at the full package and see my potential to serve. If not I will be retaking it again. But for those who did not do well on their ASTB, honestly, you are not the only one out there. Keep trying!!! But anyways, I'm not going for Pilot so definitely not an Air Warrior, I'm more looking for Intel, Information Warfare, Logistics.

What do you guys think of my chances of making it? But no worries, I will update. Best of luck to all. I'm just happy to get this mess of my chest.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
A bit tired from the whole process, so any help, advice would be great and much appreciated.

Info:
I graduated a few months ago from a top tier school with a 3.35 GPA in Economics and International Relations.

Have volunteered in community since High School. Some of which include; teaching ESL to immigrant parents, building homes for people who are homeless, fundraising money for orphans in China and rape victims in Congo.

When it comes to leadership, I have managed a business since I was 14 which lead to great success. I have also opened up my own business in college where most of the proceeds went to charity to help rape victims in Congo. I have also countless internships in investment management and marketing (abroad and locally).

I have about 8 LORs. One from a colleague, manager from past internship, mentor of 5 years (president of a international company), friend from college, executive director from non profit organization, 1 professor, 1 former Director of NATO and one from a Navy 3 star Admiral.

I know my LORs are pretty solid, my leadership skills and volunteer experience are pretty strong but......the ASTB....

So here is the bummer. I am not good at taking tests. I took the first test, had a week to prep in between 2 volunteer jobs and scored a 39 (form 5). I retook it and got a 44 (form 3). During the second test, I did not manage my time wisely with the MATH which kicked my bum and then my computer froze which took up more time. Anyways, I am not a dummy considering I got into a good school and graduated with a good GPA. But I do recommend studying real hard. I'm happy for all who did so well on their ASTB but I definitely will stick with the 44 for now and hope they look at the full package and see my potential to serve. If not I will be retaking it again. But for those who did not do well on their ASTB, honestly, you are not the only one out there. Keep trying!!! But anyways, I'm not going for Pilot so definitely not an Air Warrior, I'm more looking for Intel, Information Warfare, Logistics.

What do you guys think of my chances of making it? But no worries, I will update. Best of luck to all. I'm just happy to get this mess of my chest.
I'm reminded of a great Tosh quote:
"Don't you love it when people in school are like, 'I'm a bad test taker.' You mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? I can totally relate see, because I'm a brilliant painter minus my god awful brushstrokes. Oh, how the masterpiece is crystal up here but once paint hits canvas I develop Parkinson's."

Anyways, good luck!

Danin

I'm reminded of a great Tosh quote:
"Don't you love it when people in school are like, 'I'm a bad test taker.' You mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? I can totally relate see, because I'm a brilliant painter minus my god awful brushstrokes. Oh, how the masterpiece is crystal up here but once paint hits canvas I develop Parkinson's."

Anyways, good luck!

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get.

Rev

pilot
Thanks, I need all the luck I can get.

What board are you applying for?

The reason I ask, if you aren't applying for the July board you have plenty of time to retake the ASTB for a third time. Soon they will be releasing a new version and it will 'reset' your test limit.

Danin

What board are you applying for?

The reason I ask, if you aren't applying for the July board you have plenty of time to retake the ASTB for a third time. Soon they will be releasing a new version and it will 'reset' your test limit.
Well I am going for the July board. I am not the pickiest but I am trying to go for Intel. But from the sound of things from this forum, Intel seems pretty darn competitive. But cant quit before you try, right? If things dont work out, I will retest, mark my words.

Rev

pilot
from the sound of things from this forum, Intel seems pretty darn competitive.

Your recruiter is not getting the info from NRC, they are NOT accepting Intel applications, they are auto rejecting them, several on this forum have already been auto rejected (not being seen by the board)

Looks like you will have plenty of opportunities to prepare and retake in the future if Intel is your goal. Hopefully (and by your post it sounds like you aren't) you don't have to worry about the age limit. If you are however, I suggest looking into something other than Intel.

Danin

Looks like you will have plenty of opportunities to prepare and retake in the future if Intel is your goal. Hopefully (and by your post it sounds like you aren't) you don't have to worry about the age limit. If you are however, I suggest looking into something other than Intel.
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. Well since my major/ work experience also focused on finance/ business, I do have other options I'm looking into such as Information Warfare (also heard to be very competitive), Business Management, Finance Accounting and Computer Science. Hopefully the options will help but we will see. I will update. Thanks again.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. Well since my major/ work experience also focused on finance/ business, I do have other options I'm looking into such as Information Warfare (also heard to be very competitive), Business Management, Finance Accounting and Computer Science. Hopefully the options will help but we will see. I will update. Thanks again.

IW is a technical field, they specifically look for CS, EE, etc.... the board feedback is no calc or calc based physics is a significant negative factor, and they have a goal of zero for FY13.

exNavyOffRec

Well I am going for the July board. I am not the pickiest but I am trying to go for Intel. But from the sound of things from this forum, Intel seems pretty darn competitive. But cant quit before you try, right? If things dont work out, I will retest, mark my words.

Supply was going to be in July, but that isn't happening now.
Intel/IW/IP was going to be August, but they are pro x'ing people as they are closed