• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Application Timeline

C_CN

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question as to what an average "timeline/step-by-step" would look like, from the very beginning to when you actually go to OCS.

I've met with a recruiter, and they asked me basic questions about what I'd be interested in doing, and why I'm joining etc. I then set and took the OAR test on Jan 4. They said they'd get back to me on the next steps, but I'm wondering about the whole.. filling out an (actual) application thing. I haven't filled out any kind of forms (on my basic stats, unless they have all that from when I spoke on the phone with the people in Richmond), haven't signed anything, they haven't mentioned anything about what kinds of documents I'd need (though they did mention background references, not letters of recommendation)...no MEPs date set, etc.

so it just feels like I still have a lot left to "check off", so to speak.

is this normal, and I'm just over-worrying?

Thanks!

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
What if your OR doesn't like responding to emails? Mine hasn't responded to a phone call or email since 20151118. Thinking about heading up there in person and seeing if she still exists. *sarcasm*

Philly@9

I am in the same boat. It is very frustrating to say the least. Im going to visit mine as well... I just hope that he is doing amazing work behind the scenes to get me selected.

While I haven't been rushing my process, it's been about half a year for me. I know they are extremely busy so I only try to contact them when something is due or I need to know my next step. Relax and search around the forum, there are a lot of threads in here that have information you might be looking for.

exNavyOffRec

What if your OR doesn't like responding to emails? Mine hasn't responded to a phone call or email since 20151118. Thinking about heading up there in person and seeing if she still exists. *sarcasm*

I have seen OR's transfer and not turn over all their applicants, so you never know.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I try to check in with my recruiter once every two weeks or so, even if it's just to say "Hey did you receive x y and z I sent you and what else should I be working on?"

The forms aren't too bad and you can churn through them in 2-3 days or so if you set aside the time. The things that take the longest time are getting medical records and recommendations. Look through this form and for every YES you have, start working on requesting the medical documentation. Then if you want to give your LOR writers some lead time ask them to look through the DD370 (but don't have them send it to you since it needs to go directly to your recruiter).

If you can get on top of the medical stuff then that will really help. I had several months to work on it while waiting for my LASIK 6 month checkup but even then it took me another month after I was technically eligible to get all my documents together and submit them to MEPS (currently waiting to hear back).

Last edited:

BravoMyles

Applicant
@Hopeful Hoya I actually have a question on the LOR's if you don't mind. From what I can gather, I just get people that are willing to do them and give their contact info to my OR, then he contacts them. Is that correct? If so, how many contacts should I get that are willing to do it?

I think other than waiting on MEPS, the LOR stuff is all I have left outside of signing the tattoo forms and whatnot (no tattoos here, too afraid of my mom because she's a scary lady, but I have to sign saying I don't have any).

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
@BravoMyles You can email them with the form/instructions, that's what I did, and its OK as long as the completed form goes to your recruiter. You need a minimum of 3 LORs. You need them for jobs you've had within the last three years (not sure if it's just the three most recent ones or if you need one for every single job you've had in the last three years), and if you haven't had three jobs then you need to have people do character references for you (same form). You can obviously do more than 3 LORs but for SNA the Board only briefly scans through them so just submit the three strongest ones.

Philly@9

Try to get LORs from the highest ranking people either civilian or military that know you well and will say great things about you. You never know what the boards will do. Some might read them and others might do a quick glance. It's best to have the best LORs that you can just in case they do read it. For instance if you worked in a small company and personally know the CEO, get a letter from that CEO not just a supervisor if you can.

zack13usa

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question as to what an average "timeline/step-by-step" would look like, from the very beginning to when you actually go to OCS.

I've met with a recruiter, and they asked me basic questions about what I'd be interested in doing, and why I'm joining etc. I then set and took the OAR test on Jan 4. They said they'd get back to me on the next steps, but I'm wondering about the whole.. filling out an (actual) application thing. I haven't filled out any kind of forms (on my basic stats, unless they have all that from when I spoke on the phone with the people in Richmond), haven't signed anything, they haven't mentioned anything about what kinds of documents I'd need (though they did mention background references, not letters of recommendation)...no MEPs date set, etc.

so it just feels like I still have a lot left to "check off", so to speak.

is this normal, and I'm just over-worrying?

Thanks!

Up to couple months and mine was fairly quick

C_CN

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I haven't heard or contacted my recruiter...I only did so about 3 days after I took my OAR because I was worried about my score..he said not to worry about it and that he'd contact me for the next steps. So I'm sure I'm not personally bothering them.

I'm just anxious because I feel like Jon Snow in that I know nothing about what (or if) I should be prepping/getting documents together. But I will take QuicknRandom's advice and just look around the forums..and kind of work on things that I know I'll have to have (LoRs and personal essay, I think he said).

again, thanks!