• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS $100 to $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithS

Anyone know why we need to bring this amount of money to OCS? I'm assuming it's for toiletries that they force you to buy, but is it for uniforms or anything else like that? Any thoughts are appreciated. Any other Nov 9 guys out there? Thanks for the info.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's for the nonessential stuff that you deem as "essential." You'll probably get different answers from different people. If you have a debit or credit card, then many things you can buy using that. You really don't spend any cash until you get liberty. Your uniform issue spending will occur after OCS (they keep track for you). I think $100 would be plenty to start.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Uniforms? How much do you have to pay for uniforms?

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Paul Burke

The money is to pay for the class dues which is normally $20 and then other things like laundry detergent and things like that. The reason you want to bring more than that is because not everyone will be allowed to go to the Exchange to buy needed itens. Your room capatin will go and take the shopping list for the entire room. He can't use your credit card at the NEX so you have to have cash.

Most DI's make you buy the running shoes if you do not run a 10:30 on the in PFA. You'll probably want to go ahead and get them anyways becasue you will pretty much wear out a pair of shoes running. Also, make sure you know whether or not you have a normal arch, or if you are over or under pronated. The wrong running shoes can jack your shins up pretty bad here.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Paul-
Good call on the cash for the NEX; I forgot about that part. I guess it's not for a good month that you can go to the NEX on your own (being secured). One bit of advice that my DI gave us before he left: don't waste money buying new pieces of everything. Your towel/laundry bag/etc. can all be used for your RLP. As long as they are cleaned, stenciled properly, and folded accordingly they will not knock you. That's coming from a DI. Permanent stains are just that, permanent. It's not expected that you can get rid of them. What good does it do me now that I have 4 white towels with my name on all of them?!?

Hartman

kmac and Paul:
What did you guys do with your dirty running shoes during RLP’s? Is there a space for that kind of stuff that’s offlimits to the DI’s?

mattlowery

you'll be able to stow your extra gear in a sea bag room. make sure that sea bag is locked up properly and that you don't hide the combo to the lock so that they can find it. they will dump all your shit if they find a lock combo. and believe me, they will try all sea bags/lockers to see which one it is. as for me, i spent quite a bit on RLP stuff because i screwed it up the first time. so take come extra cash just in case you have to get extra towels, etc. good luck.

Matt

Paul Burke

Ghost_ttu: They are going to send me home unless some kind of miracle happens. I can't redesignate to anything because my gpa is too low and because there are no spots available anywhere. I'll probably try going into the Army if nothing happens here.

williamw

Paul,
Hope you got your miracle and things are working out for you.

Everyone, I have a few general questions if anyone would be so kind as to offer any opinoins....

1. I'm in for aug 17th - anyone know what class number thats gonna be?
2. Does anyone have any idea if there'll be sometime during OCS when I'll have enough weekend liberty, and enough notice that it'd be worth it to have my girlfriend fly down from Chicago for the weekend?

Feel free to post any other advice/etc :)
Thanks
Walt

JTP

What is the deal w/ all this talk about shin splints? Are there people going down there who have never run before, or is it more the conditions you run in.
I'm seeing and hearing that shin splints is a main reason you are rolled. Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

YEAH COME ON!!

RC

I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I could think of would be people have to run in issued shoes, extreme hill running and maybe the shoes suck?

I know one thing, I went running this morning and where I usually run the Army ROTC from the local university was running and timing miles. Ill put it this way(nicely)...the cross country team shouldnt feel any heat at all.

gus

I report Nov. 9th and have all the questions in the world.
All I'm doing now is getting in shape and trying to nail
the memorization. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

elkq

I also report on 10NOV02. In boot camp we had to do the same thing everyone is saying here and if you didnt have cash you didnt get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.