• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

Trev82

pilot
which is why i'm surprised they're holding the flight physical until RIGHT BEFORE you ship to OCS....either way your gonna have to get it done sooner or later and throughout your aviation career so it will always be there. Good luck doc

Conaway

Well I hadn't done the X-rays, but this is the first I hear of it.:confused:

It's nothing to stress over as long as you've never had any major health problems that could be picked up by xray. If you smoke, stop. Not that stopping will make the tar in your lungs go away in time, but if you do smoke and you tell them you've stopped smoking, that might help.

Keep in mind that is worst case scenario

That's just one more thing to put in the back of your mind and stress about.

Don't over think it. It's not that big of a deal unless you know ahead of time there is something that is going to hold you back. There are occasional rarities like this one kid that was with me in PNS. He found out he had a very small blind spot in his left eye, so small he never noticed it. It was automatic disqualification for flight, unwaiverable, and only known in 1% of the population. The good news for him was that he could still be an officer, he just couldn't fly. Something like this is extremely unlikely to happen.

bradler

It totally sucks, because I will be moved out of my place and quit my job by then. So if for some reason something were to DQ me I would have to come back here and start over. The eye exam, is it the same as the one done for MEPS or for your package? Besides being the same as the full MEPS physical what else is different for a flight physical?

Conaway

It totally sucks, because I will be moved out of my place and quit my job by then. So if for some reason something were to DQ me I would have to come back here and start over. The eye exam, is it the same as the one done for MEPS or for your package? Besides being the same as the full MEPS physical what else is different for a flight physical?

What consists of the flight physical? I thought it was basically what we did at MEPS, the eye exam and measurements.

No, they do ALOT more. Eye exam (which sucks because you can't see for 4 hours afterwards), chest xrays, hearing test, physical exam (turn and cough), anthropetrics (the measurements you're talking about), and I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else. It took about 8 hours to do the whole thing.

I never went to MEPS, just PNS for the full flight physical. I don't know the difference, but it is very extensive. They test for clarity, depth perception, night vision, color vision, near/far sightedness, glaucoma, and more.

Trev82

pilot
MEPS was a long time ago for me i did that several years ago, but for the flight physical they perform the color blind test, the depth perception (which o sticks out among the others in that row), they do the pressure test (blow some air at your eye), they dialate your pupils, etc... um they had me do a sinus cavity xray this latest time which was new, along with chest xray, dental, urine sample, blood test, hearing test, prostate exam (i believe thats what that was :( , there may have been a few other tests..

Ground&Pound

I supposed to find out if I’ve been selected to 196 in less than a week and the suspense is killing me! Anyone else out their feel my pain?

OCSCAND

I read you loud and clear Ground&Pound. I think my OSO is getting pissed cause I keep calling every other day. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

Conaway

Just found out that I was selected SNA to OCC-196 and I am curious, what happens next? I know that I need to head down to p-cola for a flight physical, but do I have to formally accept the selection? And is there anything else that has to happen before September?

First of all, congrats!

A Sh!t load of PT..... Thats about it other then the 30 day pre-ship PFT and signing your orders after filling out that little questionare they make you do.

What he said and...Don't over do the PT, but don't slack. Stay strong, stay healthy, keep doing pull ups and crunches. I assume you lift weights, so keep doing that, and run your ass off. Don't over do that either, you don't want shin splits before going. Get boots if you haven't already and start running in them once a week, just enough to break them and get your feet past the initial blistering, b/c they probably will. Mine just came today so I'm going to start trail boot runs very soon.

You also have to fill out a direct deposit form with your bank. I know it's not for MyPay cause we won't have that till after commissioning. I heard before that everyone was getting checks at OCS, but with this form I am assuming we get direct deposit now. Don't forget your candidate knowledge. I've started mine and there's a lot of shit, so I would get a move on with that stuff. It's not difficult material at all, just a lot to know. I think that's about it. Oh, and if you know anyone who knows how to drill, assuming you can't drill yet, ask for help. You can just ask your OSO or OSA for help with that. Just one more thing you can do to lessen the stress. Hope to see you there! S/F

Lonestar

see thats what i don't like, you get selected your all joy, you make arrangements with your job, you inform your family of the fantastic life changing news, then you take the flight physical and boom you find out your not going. Keep in mind that is worst case scenario, you just tell your self that your in tip top shape your eyes are good to go and you'll have nothing but smooth sailing...

This happened to me almost exactly one year ago. I was pre-selected in April 2006 for OCC 193. The flight physical that August found my left eye barely out o range of 20/40. That means NPQ SNA. News to me as Meps, cyclopegic, and two other tests that year showed me at 20/20. I had PRK done and in June of this year, before submitting for the 195 board, I sat in that same damn chair with the same flight surgeon that NPQ'ed me before and read 20/20 each eye. I'm now headed to 196. It's been a long year.

docholiday

This happened to me almost exactly one year ago. I was pre-selected in April 2006 for OCC 193. The flight physical that August found my left eye barely out o range of 20/40. That means NPQ SNA. News to me as Meps, cyclopegic, and two other tests that year showed me at 20/20. I had PRK done and in June of this year, before submitting for the 195 board, I sat in that same damn chair with the same flight surgeon that NPQ'ed me before and read 20/20 each eye. I'm now headed to 196. It's been a long year.

Would they have let you stay as ground or was it just "later, maybe next time"?

Trev82

pilot
Lonestar good to hear you stuck with it, perserverance pays off, i know. Look foward to meeting you at quantico. The cyclo test almost screwed me too, it was only until they dialated my eyes that i passed...i was at the upper limit.. =/

Lonestar

Would they have let you stay as ground or was it just "later, maybe next time"?

I would have had to reapply for NFO or ground. The last board had already selected me for 193 so I was sol for that class and would have had to apply for later ones.