• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The last main event, the 12 mile hump, down - 8 days to go. I fear Monday and Tuesday of next week will be a long one as we'll likely be rehearsing for graduation all day :sleep_125

Oh well, almost there.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
So, how was the 12 mile hump? You graduate this week?

The 12 miler wasn't bad. It helped that we secured for a few hours of liberty afterwards for Thanksgiving. And yes, today was graduation and commissioning. Semper Fidelis. I'll see if I can't post a few pictures taken at the museum later.

Conaway

Congratulations to everyone on graduation and commissioning today. I wish I could have been there with you all.

mc282000

Congrats to RC and anyone else who graduated with him. Does anyone know if Trev82 made it through?

What happened Conaway? You didn't graduate?

So, you guys from 196, can we get some updated gouge on everything at OCS these days? PT, Leadership, Academics, graded events? I'm really anxious to hear if you felt prepared by the gouge on the site or if things have changed.

Conaway

Congrats to RC and anyone else who graduated with him. Does anyone know if Trev82 made it through?

What happened Conway? You didn't graduate?

So, you guys from 196, can we get some updated gouge on everything at OCS these days? PT, Leadership, Academics, graded events? I'm really anxious to hear if you felt prepared by the gouge on the site or if things have changed.

No, I got the boot on week 9. But I hope I can still help those who are trying to go so they don't make the same mistakes I did.

PT - PT becomes more intense up through week 6. We didn't PT very often, but when we did, some of it down right sucked. I don't know how everyone else's staff ran them, but mine run us pretty fast on some of the fartleks. I'm going to say a 6:30-7 min pace between stations in the later weeks. The first 3 mile run you do on week 2 is a test. They push you to see what you will do: make it or break it. In the first 5 weeks, it's all conditioning. When the week 5 PFT comes around, that's when you will be in the best shape. After that, you are introduced to the endurance course and combat readiness test. This is where you start getting stronger, but it wears on your body and by the time week 7 and 8 roll around, your body is breaking down and your legs just pretty much hurt or ache all the time. Humps: They are mostly in the dark, the shorter humps are harder because of terrain and the longer ones, 9 and 12, are easier because they are mostly on the roads and your body is much stronger by now. The best preparation you can do here is by doing fartleks before you go. Hill runs are plus as well. Get your body used to 30+ minutes of intense exercise and you should be good to go. The rest will come with time. I wouldn't suggest worrying about preparing for humps because they work your body into everything. You wouldn't want to break down your legs humping on your own before you get there. Instead, do leg workouts in the gym. It will save your feet. That's another thing: be sure to take care of your feet and legs. When you go to sleep at night, put your legs up for at least 20 mins. Ice if you need to, get some motrin from the corpsman to relieve any swelling. You will find you that you will experience aches and pains with your legs that you've never felt before. Be attentive to your body's well being.

Academics - are not difficult. Just learn to manage your time affectively and do it quickly. If you can get ahold of the history and learn it before hand, that will do you wonders. It's not that it's hard, because well, it's history, it's just so much material to read in a short amount of time that if you know it before you get there, it'll just be review for you. That goes for any of the academics. Also, if you can get a good grasp on the 5 Paragraph Order before going, that will save you lots of time as and you can help other people with it. Fireteam movements would be another good thing to familiarize yourself with as well.

Leadership - LRC1 I felt was the most difficult because it was our first graded leadership event. Once that was over, you are able to get a better handle on what to expect. I wouldn't worry about these too much. They give you plenty of opportunity to develop your skills here. As far as billets go, make sure you pay attention to what those who go before you do wrong. You will be very successful if you learn from others mistakes. If you are one of the first to have a billet, they will be more lax because they understand you aren't sure what to do, just roll with the punches and do the best job you can and keep your bearing. If you have a billet later in the cycle, they will expect you to know what you are doing, so make sure you are attentive earlier on.

Intangibles - I found these are as important, if not more important than the preceding subjects. If you remember nothing else, heed this: You are the lifeline for the person to your left and right. No matter how tired you get. No matter how much your body hurts. Remember that these guys/gals around you are going to be your family for the next 10 weeks and if you graduate, the rest of your career/life. Treat each other like you have been best friends since kindergarten because whether you believe it or not, what goes around, comes around. Everyone is doing the same things you are. Everyone else is freezing cold too. Everyone else is just as exhausted. Everyone else is sick of playing stupid games. Everyone else wants those gold bars as bad as you do. Don't get caught up in the monotony of "wondering when this is going to be over" because when you're crawling through the night individual movement course, you're not the only one thinking "how much this sucks!" There's one thing that the SI's can't do, and that's stop the clock.

I hope this helps. Good luck future Officers of Marines.

bradler

Conaway... well yes we all graduated on Friday... and yes Candidate Sickcall made it... I can't believe that. I will cover some brief gouge.

Alright, all the stuff I bought before going... i.e. moleskin, tape, socks... you don't really need because they give you everything you need (when I say give I mean you buy in the small and large bag issue). All the other stuff if you do bring is luxury.. more comfortablle socks for example. They give you 6 pairs of the brown issue socks that have no cushion so I will recommend buying foxrivers. I had 4 pair and never had one foot issue. Buy the riteintherain books and go with something bigger then the 3x5 one I had... I oftern wished i had a bigger book to right more in. But don't get anything that won't fit into a cargo pocket. Also the head lamps are a must because they allow you to do stuff at night i.e. like pack you ILBE pack for humps, or IP you blouse and that stuff without holding a moonbeam in one hand. Also thought it is not a big deal if you don't have a red lamp lens, but that might depend on the staff. The only time it does matter is if you are in the field, YOU CAN NOT USE ANYTHING BESIDES THE RED LENS THEN (cause that is just tactical).

Academics, ok all the test are written on a 9th grade level... every test except one is multiple choice. When you get your knowledge.. study it... cause if you don't study when you get time.. you will have to do it when you get rack time. Not a big deal but if you suck at studying.. I suggest you get on here and see if anyone has their old knowledge book and see if you can get your hands on it. To pre study.

PT... well it wasn't so bad if you come in shape. The first few weeks is just simple running and they didn't start amping it up till after week 5 and the first drops are gone. The endurance run was the hardest for me. Running in boots and utes, carring a rifle, and a war belt with 2 full canteens. for 3 miles, with obstacles along the way. You get winded pretty quick. But it is all mental cause the course itself is not hard just thinking about carring the gear.

Well there is a enormous amount of gouge I could share... I did just graduate on Friday... if you want to know anything PM... so I don't feel like I have to write a whole book... Later

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THAT GRADUATED AND ARE 2ND LT'S.

CHARLIE CO. 4th PLATOON WINS AGAIN, (WE WON PUGIL STICKS, DRILL,THE LOG RUN AND THE ROYAL MARINE AWARD) AND SOME HAVE BEEN RUMORED TO SAY WHEN WON GRADUATION.. HAHA

SEMPER FI

Trev82

pilot
Aww back home watching my chargers and relaxing after of course i inhaled several homemade breakfast burritos. mc282000 yes i did make it through, as did RC, it was a grueling 10 weeks and if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to PM me. I can give you great advice on everything from leadership to academics and pt. I ended up 30th overall in the company and 1st in my platoon for PT, though keep in mind that means NOTHING. Overall it was a good experience and i'm glad i succeeded but even more excited to be finished. I'm back home in SD getting ready to start PTAD with my OSO so as to not eat up all my leave. Anyone have any input on the upcoming BRAVO class for TBS and if everyone who graduated with 196 will class up>? Good luck to everyone in 197 and once again feel free to ask me any questions.

Trev82

pilot
radler did you defer your commission? We never met up at OCS but i did see you around, i was in Alpha 4 so i was just upstairs from you. Oh and as far as wooded engagement that was a crock you guys kept recycling your heavyweights so when we were still sending out 185lb guys they were going up against your 200lb'ers, but regardless that was some fun sh!t, oh and the field meet was just embarrassing =)..see you at TBS

mc282000

Aww back home watching my chargers and relaxing after of course i inhaled several homemade breakfast burritos. mc282000 yes i did make it through, as did RC, it was a grueling 10 weeks and if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to PM me. I can give you great advice on everything from leadership to academics and pt. I ended up 30th overall in the company and 1st in my platoon for PT, though keep in mind that means NOTHING. Overall it was a good experience and i'm glad i succeeded but even more excited to be finished. I'm back home in SD getting ready to start PTAD with my OSO so as to not eat up all my leave. Anyone have any input on the upcoming BRAVO class for TBS and if everyone who graduated with 196 will class up>? Good luck to everyone in 197 and once again feel free to ask me any questions.

Glad to hear you made it Trevor. Do you know when you have to report to TBS yet? Are you going to be working with the Captain on a M-F 9 - 5 type of basis or what? Hope to see you in her office one of these days. I've contracted for 197/198 when the board meets in a couple weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to all who posted the requested gouge. Appreciate the insight and encouragement. Again, congrats to those who made it.

jdnew

The best thing to bring in my opinion, is a HEADLAMP!!!!! It is a must have. You are so much more productive after lights. I brought a bunch of crap that I didnt need. The one thing I wished I had was a headlamp.

Trev82

pilot
headlamp is a must, honestly everything else not so much. However, boot socks are a good idea, and some bates lites are also a good idea b/c they aren't issued and they're freakin comfortable and light.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The best thing to bring in my opinion, is a HEADLAMP!!!!! It is a must have. You are so much more productive after lights. I brought a bunch of crap that I didnt need. The one thing I wished I had was a headlamp.

After lights? I can count on one hand how many nights I had to get up after lights and they were all because of billet responsibilities, i.e., liaising with candidate Co staff and ensuring they knew what needed to be done IOT have the following day(s) run smoothly.

I'd say save your money on all that "nice" gear and just pick up a pair of bates lites. Your small and large bag issue will take care of all the necessities besides a laminated 5 paragraph order and some rite-in-the-rain paper.

Plus you won't have to worry about all that trash during pick-up.