• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC Boards?

docholiday

When I first started training on pullups I was at about 14 but then I started doing pyramids. What I do now is do as many as I can on my first set. Then I'll do like 8 to 10 for the second set and start pyramiding down. I also lost some weight, about 15 pounds, that helped alot.

Trev82

pilot
From what I understand, if you are PLC they are much more lenient on your PFT. But if you are OCC then they are harder because they expect you as a graduate to have everything already in order. According to some of the people I have talk to, a 285 or better is a guaranteed selection. But I have heard of PLC guys getting selected with a 255 or so. I also had a Possession of Alcohol when I was 18. But they said that it shouldn't hurt me and I think it helps if it is not on your record.

You are accurate on them being more selective towards OCC applicants and when i stated a 280 is what your shooting for that was more for OCC'ers now your statement that a 285 is a guaranteed selection is definitely not true...there is no way they're going to guarantee your selection based soley on your physical fitness test.

NavySeabee26

As far as pull ups, I use a backpack with 30 lbs in it. My routine starts off with a warm up set of ten with no weight. After that set is complete, I do five sets of 5 using the full 30 lbs. I then take out 10lbs and do 3 sets of 10. Lastly, I do my set with no weight and try to perform 15 reps.

This took me from 15 pull ups to 21 in six weeks.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
As far as pull ups, I use a backpack with 30 lbs in it. My routine starts off with a warm up set of ten with no weight. After that set is complete, I do five sets of 5 using the full 30 lbs. I then take out 10lbs and do 3 sets of 10. Lastly, I do my set with no weight and try to perform 15 reps.

This took me from 15 pull ups to 21 in six weeks.

Weighted pull-ups are definitely the way to succeed.

My approach, which follows, has allowed me to achieve 30+ pull-ups.

My first four sets I use a 45-lb plate, typically doing 12-14 reps, then 10, 8, 7.
I then switch to no weight for four additional max-rep sets.
Then I'll do four sets of both over and under hand lat-pulldowns.
I'll finish with four sets of heavy rows.

Trev82

pilot
oh RC is a stud...i believe i've seen him say he was 300'er, i pale in comparison at a measley 285.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
oh RC is a stud...i believe i've seen him say he was 300'er, i pale in comparison at a measley 285.

Haha, I'm assuming you're referring to me Trev? I can only hope that I'll be a 300 Pt'er when Sept/Oct (?) comes around. My run time was a 19:20 last time it was tested ultimately leaving me with a 292. I've been working very hard trying to whittle it down, but I believe I'm flirting with over-training and consequently should probably back off for at least a week or so.

Trev82

pilot
i don't know i'm running around 15-20 miles/week and will probably keep up the heat until early sept, probably cool down around the 15 or 18th to give myself some rest..

Rustbucket

The Marine Corp is hurting for new bodies and there are fewer people to meet that demand.

Just like the quote says, the USMC needs numbers. So don't kill yourself before going to OCS by trying to become a PT stud. They will give you all the opportunities to improve your PFT score there. The worst thing you can do is to over train before getting there! OCS is a brutal place for the body so don't weaken it before you even get started. The terrain is not forgiving and a simple strain can quickly become a tear. I know far too well the consequences of that!! Don't stop running, but cut back, and give yourself a chance to rest before going.

Conaway

get one from a current or past employer a professor a coach and a mentor

I've already handed in all my PIQ's. A Marine reserve LtCol, high school ROTC instructor retired AF Colonel, employer that was also a close friend, church youth director from high school, and the Assoc. Dean from my business school, whom I had 3 classes. I could easily get another one from a professor I had that was a Marine Maj. Do any of you see any reason for me to get a PIQ from him to replace one of the others?

Trev82

pilot
Some people find it redudant getting excessive LOR's, my personal opinion however is having a diverse set of LOR's representing various fields can only be beneficial, a Marine Major is definitely a plus...so ask yourself why wouldn't you get it?

Just my .02

Conaway

Good point, but don't they only submit 5 PIQ's anyway? I guess maybe I should get it and see if they will add it to my package anyway.

sharp452

Question guys,

I'm graduating in late December this year and what to go to OCC-197. Does anyone think that this is possible or will I have to go to a later one like 198 or 199? When is the latest that I have to get my package in so I can go to the Jan class?