• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O1-E Prior Enlisted Pay

3army_brats

Help!!!

Hello, I know this is a really old thread, but I am desperate for some help. My husband is having a very difficult time getting E pay even though we both think he is eligible. He has gone to several different people, finance, etc trying to get this resolved.

My question is: does the 1460 point rule only apply to active duty soldiers? It doesn't say that in Chapter 3 of Volume 7a, but that is what everyone is telling him. He was enlisted in the Army reserve for 10 years and then commissioned into the active duty Army. Everyone is saying the only way to get E pay is to go from reserve enlisted to reserve commisioned or active duty enlisted to active duty commissioned. Is this true?

At the time of my husband's commission he had 1572 points as he was activated quite a bit throughout the 10 years. Does anyone have any information that could help me. He is deploying VERY soon and we were hoping to have this resolved, as we have been working on it since August of 2010 and I don't think anyone will listen to me once he is gone.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Jen

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Hello, I know this is a really old thread, but I am desperate for some help. My husband is having a very difficult time getting E pay even though we both think he is eligible. He has gone to several different people, finance, etc trying to get this resolved.

My question is: does the 1460 point rule only apply to active duty soldiers? It doesn't say that in Chapter 3 of Volume 7a, but that is what everyone is telling him. He was enlisted in the Army reserve for 10 years and then commissioned into the active duty Army. Everyone is saying the only way to get E pay is to go from reserve enlisted to reserve commisioned or active duty enlisted to active duty commissioned. Is this true?

At the time of my husband's commission he had 1572 points as he was activated quite a bit throughout the 10 years. Does anyone have any information that could help me. He is deploying VERY soon and we were hoping to have this resolved, as we have been working on it since August of 2010 and I don't think anyone will listen to me once he is gone.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Jen

I understand that you both think he is eligible but to make sure I would look into this first website and read up on what entitles him to this pay. Start at page 1-9... It says service not creditable... Click on the link and research further.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_01.pdf

I clicked on a link in this pub to get the information above.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_57.pdf

I found this publication here under military pay policy and procedures Active Duty and Reserve Pay.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/

So basically start at the first and look around to see if you can find your answer. But if there is a problem it may have to do with time and how it is calculated from what the government is considering creditable time and not creditable. I understand what you two calculated his points as and the amount he needs but what is PSD saying to him? They will be the ones correcting this issue and you need to start documenting what is going on.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Hello, I know this is a really old thread, .....words
Points are points that is all that matters and that the minimum active duty time was met. The best thing you can do is snag the latest DD214 your husband has and check out the total active time (Block 12 d.). If the national guard or reserves owe your husband a DD 214 like they have to me a couple of times, get that sorted out.

As far as I know there is no "consecutive" time requirement (something that is often asked by reserve side). Have that member 4 copy of the 214 handy when your husband processes and when getting all lined up with a pay clerk make sure he brings it up and presents his paperwork. He can also look at his LES and see what his TIS is (>4 etc).

Reference this document if you need to plea your case it outlines credible time http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07aarch/07A01p.pdf.....the whole active time vs retirement points is actually the same thing. If one day is one point then 4x365=1460, right? So if he has the amount of points you stated (1572) he should be in the clear.

Also this document outlines what service counts towards retirement points
http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07b/07b_08.pdf

So that being said I guess if it isn't shown as active time on your husbands DD 214, get his statement of retirement points, have a memo typed up by personnel command that it is valid, copy the section of these two regulations, and your processor should be able to get this going.

This should help too:
5. Creditable Service for Certain Reserve Commissioned Officers.
Effective January 1, 2002, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, and O-3 who are paid
from funds appropriated for Reserve personnel and credited with 1,460 points for retirement
computed under 10 U.S.C. 12732(a)(2) service as a warrant officer and/or enlisted member are
entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.

That about sums it up, you are covered from the above.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I have a somewhat related question for anyone that's received O-1E pay before. Are you eligible for back pay? A guy I know has been at Pensacola for a few months now, and he was told it would be a few months before the extra pay would take effect. Well, sure enough, about 2-3 months after he graduated from OCS, he received O-1E finally...but none of the back pay for the months it took them to process. I'm sure I can wait a month and ask him if he ever got it, but should he? (the correct answer is he SHOULD, I'm just wondering if he will -- and consequently, will I)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I have a somewhat related question for anyone that's received O-1E pay before. Are you eligible for back pay? A guy I know has been at Pensacola for a few months now, and he was told it would be a few months before the extra pay would take effect. Well, sure enough, about 2-3 months after he graduated from OCS, he received O-1E finally...but none of the back pay for the months it took them to process. I'm sure I can wait a month and ask him if he ever got it, but should he? (the correct answer is he SHOULD, I'm just wondering if he will -- and consequently, will I)

If you are eligible from day 1 you should get paid from day 1...not the day PSD finally gets around to entering the right paperwork/codes.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
If you are eligible from day 1 you should get paid from day 1...not the day PSD finally gets around to entering the right paperwork/codes.

Concur. The PS is supposed to enter an effective date with the pay change that should match his commissioning date. The DFAS system will take care of calculating and reimbursing the underpaid amount. I had to fix my OHA when they didn't upgrade it to LT. I got six months worth of back pay on the very next paycheck. The downside is, if you ever owe money due to overpayment, that will be deducted just as quickly.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I have a somewhat related question for anyone that's received O-1E pay before.

Sometimes it helps to cite the exact "chapter and verse" of the governing instruction. If you're working by email, consider attaching a copy of said instruction to the email, type out the math (preferably in long hand), and cc or forward it to your boss (yes, talk to your boss face-to-face first). Kinda mean? Sure. Effective? You bet.

Do your best to keep the tone polite and professional... which should go without saying... and if the PSD worker made an honest mistake then it doesn't hurt to tell them thank you once they fix your pay.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The downside is, if you ever owe money due to overpayment, that will be deducted just as quickly.

Slight thread jack...

They will take it back very quickly but.....you can ask to have it spread out over a number on months. I think 20 is the max. It is not automatic. There is a form to fill out but you damn sure will have to ask for it. They won't offer it up front for some reason.

samifuml

I am in the process of submitting a commissioning package with the Marines. I have been in the reserves for over five years. Does the government recognize that time in the reserves at all in terms of pay? (Would they still pay me as a Lieutenant coming straight out of college with no experience?) *I do have some periods of active duty. . . basic training, summer/annual training courses, a deployment . .

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
You'll be paid as an O-1 with over 4, which is currently $3502. I have 8 years in as an enlisted reservist, totaling 3 years, 11 months and change of retirement points. Which means. . .I'm still just an O-1.

samifuml

eas7888,

I am a bit confused. You have more time in the enlisted reserves than I do yet you're saying I would get the O-1E pay and you wouldn't? If you could explain how you came to that conclusion that'd be fantastic.

If anyone else has any insight on this, feel free to chime in.

Thanks

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The problem is, O-1E is all based off of retirement points. Because I enlisted as a soldier in a reserve component, I acquired significantly less retirement points, despite two deployments to Iraq, I fell just shy of having enough retirement points to qualify. If I had served more time on active duty, then I would qualify.

samifuml

eas7888,

I think I might be labeled as an O-1 as well. I have less time in the reserves than you and only 1 deployment. Its crazy to think that someone like you with 8 years in the reserves would still only get regular O-1 pay. I would've that those 8 years would've counted for something.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Well, I do have O-1 maxed out, so that's a bonus. . .but yes, over the span of my career, had I elected to take some ADT or ADSW orders, I would probably have a significantly higher balance in my bank account in a few years. . .or possibly a better motorcycle? But you have to look at it this way: in order to get what you want, you have to make sacrifices. In my mind, commissioning when I did was well worth not waiting.