• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O1-E Prior Enlisted Pay

Wannab_a1525

Can anyone help me out? I am looking for the instruction that determines the difference between an "O1" and an "O1-E". I'm newly commissioned, prior enlisted - 4 yrs. of active duty and 6 yrs. of reserve duty. This civilian at NSIPS says that I don’t qualify for "O1-E" because I don't have enough enlisted active duty time. I've tried googling it and the people at PSD are no help.

utak

Check out the Military Basic Pay for fiscal year 2007. There's a list of all paygrades and their corresponding pay. I do know for a fact that it lists O-1E pay, and it states it for over 4 years of current active duty (they don't show the pay for anything less like 2-3 years cause it doesn't qualify). Once you get that, go back to PSD and show them.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I was in your situation a few years ago and tried to fight the same battle. The pay manual clearly stated that if you are not over 4 years of active duty as an enlisted person, you don't get the extra pay. In my case, one day would have put me in that 'over' category.

See page 1-10, paragraph 2 of this link. http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/07a_01.pdf

Wannab_a1525

Thanks feddoc -

do you know if AT (Annual Training) counts towards the active duty time?

According to PSD you have to have "Over" 4 yrs of Active service. Basically 4yrs and 1 day (1461 points). so i guess i'm kind of screwed unless i go on ADT or ADSW...

Wannab_a1525

Thanks for the input Coldnavy. That is true in most cases, but after reading the instruction that feddoc posted, there's many variation to the O-1E rule. The one you stated Cold, is in Paragraph 1. As I read on Paragraph 5 applies to me. From the above link from feddoc, in section 010103, sub-section A, Paragraph 5, it states:

"5. Creditable Service for Certain Reserve Commissioned Officers. Effective January 1, 2002, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, and O-3 who are paid from funds appropriated for Reserve personnel, and credited with 1,460 points for retirement computed under 10 U.S.C. 12732a(2) service as a warrant officer and/or enlisted member are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E."

This allows any service member getting off active enlisted duty (providing they have completed exactly 4 yrs of service (which equals 1460 points) and is in a drilling status and being paid from Naval Reserve funds, is entitled to the O-1E through O-3E rank.

gaetabob

pilot
Wannab,
I'm in a very similar situation to you...I did 45 months of active duty, and then 2 years of reserve time. I'm now an active duty ENS trying to get O-1E. Counting all my points, I have 1533, but that includes my drills (only 46 months of active points). Do only active points count towards O-1E, or do all points count?

Wannab_a1525

gaetabob -
I think to Qualify you have to do at least 1460 points of "Enlisted" service (active or reserve) anyway you shake it. You just have to be in a "Pay status" from the Naval Reserves. Your AT's count and so do your drills. Now this is me saying this, if you have more than 1460 points prior to commissioning, than you should qualify for O-1E. Scroll back up to the link that feddoc posted. I just re-read it, and I think either paragraphs 5 or 6 on page 1-11 apply to you (paragraph 5 more so). It was a pain to get the dumbass's a NSIPS to listen. I told my XO and he call Millington (PERS) directly, he talked the lady in charge of Officer conversion and pay, and she took care of it in like 30 mins. The problem lies with the person who did you’re enlisted to officer conversion. A lot of the PS's (PN's) or YN's have never dealt with "E to O" conversions for DCO/LDO's. So when they plug in your new officer rank, they put in "O-1" by default, instead of "O-1E". I would hit up the person in your command or unit who did the "E to O" conversion and let them know what’s wrong, maybe they can fix it on there end. When your "O-1" to "O-1E" gets fixed watch your pay, it will get really messed up. Just remember there's a pay difference between "O-1" & "O-1E"s. If you need anything else drop me a IM.

laurahare

Does any one know if the 3 months of OCS, being paid an E5, counts as enlisted time towards O1E pay? I have 3 years 10 months enlisted time, and that would put me over the time frame to qualify for the O1E. Just wondering, not too hopeful though!

MasterBates

If the policy has not changed, yes. There were 2 in my OCS class that got over the 4 year mark at OCS. This was Summer/Fall 01.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I hope my time at OCS counts I have 3 yrs 364 days of previous AD time in the Army and if the 10 weeks at USMC OCS counts I will have well over the 4 years requirement. Plus the 7 years time in service I will make bank!!