• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSW Standardizing on Glock 19

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
To open up a can of worms, but I've heard some O-6 non-helo types say that Navy helos guys don't deserve medals for valor. True story.
This has been a theme of debate for decades - I don't know the answer and this deserves a more discrete thread in Private Naval Aviators. The theme is well known in the leadership forums at NHA every year. It's a really complex issue.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If NSW adopts the Glock 19, does that weapon get issued just to the operators, or to anyone (incl. support staff) attached to a NSW unit?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A combat mentality for a combat mission most helo folks will never, ever perform.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A combat mentality for a combat mission most helo folks will never, ever perform.

While I agree that the likelihood of a regular Navy helo squadron to go in to Iran with guns blazing is pretty small, I do think that the mentality can be trained to.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Modern service pistols - like a Glock, Sig, M&P, are from what I have seen, all repayable and serviceable at a small unit level. Rarely do parts wear out on these firearms. And armorer skills are easily taught hands on with basic tools and with instructional videos.
Except these are Sailors maintaining weapons that don't belong to them. Stateside this is easily solved with open purchase authorization, but how do you suppose ships maintain supplies for their small arms on deployment?

Peace there - but we have not seen it in the number of medals awarded for Valor - the Navy is way behind the other three services. And frankly thats what in the end drives public popularity and budgetary wins.
I don't think that the service chiefs, the SECDEF, the Senate Armed Services committee, any other members of Congress, or the President is looking at personal award counts when deciding how to appropriate money to the services. I would also argue that anyone who forms their opinion regarding the worth of each service by awards for valor also doesn't know or care enough about the military budget process to actually influence it.

As for the lack of warrior culture in the United States navy...
Most Sailors are not warriors erm, warfighters. Never have been. They keep the ship afloat, they operate the gear, but they know very little if anything at all about tactics and operations. That falls to the officers. I know that's the cool term to throw around these days but the guys working on the boat and maintaining aircraft are mates and technicians. Answers I hear from junior Sailors to "Why did you join the Navy:"

-I wanted money for college.
-I wanted to learn a trade.
-I wanted to get away from my hometown.
-I wanted to serve my country.

Answers I never hear:
-I wanted to blow shit up.
-I wanted to get lots of medals.
-I wanted to be a warrior/warfighter.

The last thing we need is over-compensating leadership beating their chests about being warriors warfighters and making life more difficult just because that's what makes a warrior warfighting culture.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Expanding circle.

While I agree that the likelihood of a regular Navy helo squadron to go in to Iran with guns blazing is pretty small, I do think that the mentality can be trained to.

Training for a mission that you'll probably never perform is a waste of OPTAR dollars and Airframe hours, not to mention the maintenance man hours to support the flying. Also, it's a moral killer when you spend long hours, late nights and weekends at work for absolutely no reason other than training and chasing readiness for a mission you'll probably never do.

Just ask the VP guys- they've got a good bit of misc quals that will likely never be used, but still clog up the readiness matrix and waste everyone's time and energy just to say they can do if ever needed.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Expanding circle.

Training for a mission that you'll probably never perform is a waste of OPTAR dollars and Airframe hours, not to mention the maintenance man hours to support the flying. Also, it's a moral killer when you spend long hours, late nights and weekends at work for absolutely no reason other than training and chasing readiness for a mission you'll probably never do.

Just ask the VP guys- they've got a good bit of misc quals that will likely never be used, but still clog up the readiness matrix and waste everyone's time and energy just to say they can do if ever needed.

I'm not saying there needs to be incessant training for missions that won't ever occur. I just see a pervasive mindset of too much time and energy spent dealing with the admin part of the Navy at the expense of actually being awesome at the tactics we need to know.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
All this talk of Glock 19's has got me wanting to buy a 19 Gen4 at the D.C. gun show on Sunday.

P.S. Regarding Navy valor, (seen as an outsider) I think it's a different form of warrior ethos. The danger is more subtle than door-kicking in Fallujah. Someone earlier in the thread said "haze gray and under way." It's the mindset of taking off across open ocean in your Grumman Avenger with 1 torpedo, no GPS, and maybe not enough fuel to return. It's the mindset of living and working 24-7 undersea in a steel tube that is perfectly safe most of the time... but where one accident can kill the entire crew with no hope for rescue, and it's happened a dozen times in history (all countries). Hospital Corpsmen are a different story, but they are U.S. Navy nonetheless.

P.P.S. The admin side of the Navy served a huge purpose in the 17-19th centuries. If you miscalculated your rations or fresh water needs before you set sail, you were SOL and people died. Captains faced mutiny if they ran out of ___. It's different than land armies that can subsist on local populations (which we still do today, by the way).

Last edited: