• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSW Standardizing on Glock 19

Hair Warrior

Contributor
SIGs don't have external safeties either though.

And if Seaman Snuffy is carrying a pistol, he is carrying it in a holster. So if he shoots himself in the foot, the dumbass drew the weapon while on duty to start messing around with it.
If Big Navy is super worried about it, they can write the reg to say Seaman Snuffy shouldn't carry the Glock 19 around with a round in the chamber unless it's FPCON Delta or whatever threshold they want.

There's risk in not having a round in the chamber, though. Just a different kind of risk than issuing a weapon with a trigger safety.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Time and time again the Navy shows its ass when it comes to weapons proficencies of the mark 1 mod 0 sailor, thanks to a TRA mentality of the leadership and an overall lack of gun culture compared to services where individuals have to qual in multiple weapon systems yearly.

As a pilot, I've shot twice for quals/deployment requirements in almost 12 years, and I still shoot better than most of the sailors we have ISFing as their "cranking" duty.

The idea that we as an institution hold handing the weapons and shooting skills of our sailors on the same level of importance as cleaning tables and washing dishes on the mess decks is pathetic.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Time and time again the Navy shows its ass when it comes to weapons proficencies of the mark 1 mod 0 sailor, thanks to a TRA mentality of the leadership and an overall lack of gun culture compared to services where individuals have to qual in multiple weapon systems yearly.

As a pilot, I've shot twice for quals/deployment requirements in almost 12 years, and I still shoot better than most of the sailors we have ISFing as their "cranking" duty.

The idea that we as an institution hold handing the weapons and shooting skills of our sailors on the same level of importance as cleaning tables and washing dishes on the mess decks is pathetic.
I am applying for 1835 and I fully expect to never fire a weapon (except on my free time with my own guns).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am applying for 1835 and I fully expect to never fire a weapon (except on my free time with my own guns).

Qualify ATTWO On your first ship, you'll get to shoot a few dozen rounds and have a better time on watch than standing OOD in port during shitty weather.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SIGs don't have external safeties either though.

And if Seaman Snuffy is carrying a pistol, he is carrying it in a holster. So if he shoots himself in the foot, the dumbass drew the weapon while on duty to start messing around with it.
I thought seaman Snuffy was carrying a M9. Isn't the SIG M11 only for aircrew and special issue? Not that most aviators are any better with a handgun that has no safety.

When I was on active duty aircrew carried .38 Special revolvers. When we qualed we shot both .38s and 1911s, but the issue for our vest was supposed to be .38.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW. Did everyone notice the NDAA authorized the transfer to and sale by CMP something like 10K 1911s?

BigRed389

None
If Big Navy is super worried about it, they can write the reg to say Seaman Snuffy shouldn't carry the Glock 19 around with a round in the chamber unless it's FPCON Delta or whatever threshold they want.

There's risk in not having a round in the chamber, though. Just a different kind of risk than issuing a weapon with a trigger safety.

For a lot of FP watchstanders, the 9mm is a secondary weapon. I wouldn't want my secondary weapon chamber empty.

I thought seaman Snuffy was carrying a M9. Isn't the SIG M11 only for aircrew and special issue? Not that most aviators are any better with a handgun that has no safety.

When I was on active duty aircrew carried .38 Special revolvers. When we qualed we shot both .38s and 1911s, but the issue for our vest was supposed to be .38.

Yup, still M9. However, what I'm trying to point out is that for SN Snuffy to shoot himself (or bystanders) at all with an issued weapon is because he took it out of the holster. And if it's out of the holster, it should be because it needs to be used.

In other words, if you can't trust your sailors not to keep their weapons holstered when they don't need to use them, you probably shouldn't issue them handguns at all.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Qualify ATTWO On your first ship, you'll get to shoot a few dozen rounds and have a better time on watch than standing OOD in port during shitty weather.
Hmm. That sounds great. However, I doubt I would ever get to serve on a ship. The "5" in 1835 is for Reserve, and my impression is that, if we mob, it's rarely on board a ship. I don't know that I would get to qual with a weapon at all, unless I deploy to a warzone (probably no earlier than LTJG/IDWO pin).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BTW. Did everyone notice the NDAA authorized the transfer to and sale by CMP something like 10K 1911s?

Yes. And CMP keeps sending out emails asking people to stop calling them until they know more. I think people were calling before it was even signed.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yes. And CMP keeps sending out emails asking people to stop calling them until they know more. I think people were calling before it was even signed.

I'm guessing it will be near impossible to get one? I've always wanted a 1911 but not enough to justify spending $800 on a decent mid-range one (yet).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't get an email from them regarding any aspect of this, calling or otherwise. I get other stuff from them. Ill have to get on the preferred customer list I guess.

danpass

Liked (not loved) my Gen 2.

Did NOT like my Gen 3. Even after an extractor change the damn brass was still hitting me in the face.

I should have gotten a Gen 4. Much better grip ergos.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't get an email from them regarding any aspect of this, calling or otherwise. I get other stuff from them. Ill have to get on the preferred customer list I guess.

The last two regular CMP emails I've received had a mention of this. Actually, I think one of the emails had one other topic point, and then mentioned this. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole point of the email was just to tell people to stop calling.

I'm guessing it will be near impossible to get one?

I'm guessing it's a matter of how quick you get your paperwork in. My first gun was a Colt M1991A1 that I still have today. I don't need another 1911....but I'll admit, it would be hard to turn down a piece of history like an issued M1911.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I doubt the future CMP 1911's will be anywhere near the value of my $600 CMP M1 Garand!