• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC/USNA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
USN99 said:
If a new Ensign thinks they can impose the aforementioned 19th century leadership formula on sailors, they are headed for rocks and shoals. Moreover, the entire U.S. military is unique on the world stage for having an exceptional core of NCOs/CPOs. They are good, they are professionals. If a new Ensign thinks they can be successful without them, they are headed for a much more difficult and much less rewarding professional experience.

An excellent point... and probably the reason why the Academy has senior enlisted advisors in every company. The day-to-day interaction with these experienced chiefs and gunnys is incredibly valuable. As is the day-to-day leadership challenges as shoo said, in your squad/platoon/company etc. And when you aren't sure what to do in a challenge- you go ask the chief/gunny... and the system works. (mostly)

petescheu

USN99-
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that you believe that Annapolis still teaches/practices 19th century leadership? I'd have to fully disagree with you there... I know you have a lot of fleet experience- maybe I'm misreading you?
And any grad of any commissioning source that goes to the fleet thinking they know more than their chief is in for a nice smack in the face no matter what. One of the biggest things I learned in my 4 years was to respect your senior enlisted. That, and take care of your people...

USN99

USN99
None
Shoo24
- The 19th Century moniker was used metaphorically to make the distinction of degree not type.
- Our sailors are neither brain surgeons nor ditch diggers. They are closer to brain surgeons, however; highly skilled professionals.
- And the Fleet benefits from having CPOs who are already skilled and highly experienced leaders.

Fly safe!

navyhornet

Hey. I am also looking at the academy. Right now I am academy all the way and all else is backup. I always thought that ROTC would be boring, but as I read this I see that what you all have to say makes some sense. I believe that it depends on the person.

I'm a sophomore, so I still have a while before I'm making big decisions. If anyone wants to email me, please do! I would love some expert advice!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Read as much as you can here and then ask a question in a forum if you can't find an answer.

Murphdog82

I guess I'm the first academy guy to post on this thread...wow...I'm honored. anyway, I guess I should put it this way: I don't consider myself a cynical person, but while the Naval Academy is an awesome place to be from, it is not an awesome place to be at.
I'm not saying I would have picked another school. Granted I could have gotten the same degree anywhere else, but the experience is obviously, totally different.

I guess you should ask yourself this question: "am I a masochist who wants to be from a prestigious school, or do I want to have fun in college?"

take your pick.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Murphdog82 said:
ok not the first...next time I think I should take a look at all four pages of the thread :D

I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to go for Door letter 2. HAHA. College is an awesome ride. Where else can you pimp on hot freshman while at the sametime drink a cold cup of Miller High Life and play foosball all at once? Yea....boom-shaka-laka!

Murphdog82

Oh C'mon! Wearing a uniform everday and not being able to leave campus on weeknights is great!!!

"I swear it's cool! Just ask my mom!"

2c_stars_at_noo

USNA is a very unique place, but it is not for everyone. Take it from me, I've seen both sides of the coin. I spent three years of high school with nothing but the academy on my mind, I looked at no other schools and probably would have even enlisted and gone through NAPS. I was the perfect canidate and I was informed, I read everything on the academy and the navy I could get my hands on. I knew that if I got into USNA I would be set up for life. To make a long story short I left half way through my first semester plebe year.

The academy offers an excellent education, but you get an extremely narrow veiw of the world. Some of the best officers the navy has ever seen have come from the academym but not all grads are the best officers. I left because the academy was not for me, it hurt like hell to leave but I know I made the right decision.

I still want to be a navy or marine officer more than just about anything else in the world, and I hope they will still want me. I know for a fact that if I had stayed at the academy I would not be the person I am today, I would not like the person I would have become. I would have become a 5 and dive. That is the reason I left, I saw upperclassmen whom I had no respect for and I did not want to be someone like that.

Perhaps USNA is for you, I hope that it is. I wish that it had been right for me, but I am extremely happy with the position that I am in right now. I am a better person for not staying and wasting taxpayers money. You have to think about what you want from your college experience. If you want nothing more than to be completely owned by the navy, go to the academy and take advantage of the education there. If you want more freedom, and to learn how to live in the world outside of the navy perhaps a civilian school is a better place. Remeber that the academy is primarily an engineering school and most of its majors are engineering related. Think about what you want to study, if you suck at math you will just have that much of a harder time.

Anyway, thats enough from me...

The funny thing is, my former classmates will be commisioned next month and I'm still 2-4 years away from that point. Ouch. I'm going to have to salute officers who would have been my underclassmen. :D

motiv8r2007

E-yut!!!
NROTC and USNA

I started out at NROTC and now I'm at the Academy and enjoying every minute of it. First question: Do you mind being busy? Since the first day I step foot in the front door and took the Oath of Office, it's been a busy time. It's also been the most rewarding. I've met friends that I will know for a lifetime, and I'm getting a worldclass education. Depending upon your major, be prepared to give a lot of time and energy to the Academy and the experience. Taking it from a guy who made 4.0's in college and did the whole NROTC experience, I wanted the 24/7 immersion that the Academy offers plus the challenges. I hated my life in NROTC and was looking for more. Wearing my uniform once a week to Leadership Laboratory was not 'military' enough for me. Don't get me wrong, I had to balance paying dorm bills, credit card bills, etc. I STILL DO THE SAME THING HERE. Granted, you're housing and food are paid for- you will have to pay for extra stuff like going to the movies, Washington D.C./Baltimore/New York, skiing/snowboarding, Spring Break, Summer Cruise, etc. Also, if something breaks down in your room, you have to fix it now in most cases or call a work order in. That's how things go with base housing except the turn-around time here is a little faster.

After meeting both Foundation kids and NROTC kids, the NROTC kids were more motivated to be here than the Foundation kids. The NROTC kids had to go through a separate process, apply for a nomination, and sweat not knowing where they'd be going to school the next year. Granted the Foundation kids had to re-apply, but they were put in a different category and were granted more security with the Admissions Dept. The Naval Academy Foundation pays $10k + per student to go to PREP SCHOOL for a year or even possibly just a semester. Of course, the Admissions Dept. isn't going to put them through the ringer. Also in NROTC, you learn some professional knowledge about Navy and Marine Corps platorms that put you a little ahead of your classmates. Even though you get bombarded with information over Plebe Summer and the Academic Year, it is nice to have a good base in that type of stuff.

In ROTC, I felt that the only people actively participating in leadership were the 1/C mids. Everyone else was just there having a good time. Also, I had little knowledge of how a fitness report worked or how special request chits worked, etc. It's just one of those things that come with being in a 24/7 military environment.

My 2 cents: don't do Foundation. Do ROTC and see how you like it. You may do ROTC and decide that the Navy/ Marine Corps isn't for you. I also wasn't accepted my first try and I had to completely re-apply. Not having the security of the Foundation Scholarship definitely motivated me to do well in grades and militarily in NROTC. I'm doing pretty well coming from NROTC ~ (academically and militarily). Over Plebe Summer and the Academic Year, the ROTC kids do much better academically, have a much more positive attitude, and usually get higher military performance grades (i.e. if you get a crappy performance grade, you more than likely get your first choice of service selection- a popular phrase is: "You don't choose SWO, SWO chooses you!!" DISCLAIMER: This is not to knock all the SWOs out there- I'm just implying that the needs of the Navy might not work out for you if you're at the bottom of your class and un-motivated)

GeologyRocks is right about making the Academy what you want it to be. I'm not saying that the Academy is for everyone. You may come up here and find out you don't like it or you may do NROTC at Penn State and like the college lifestyle. It's up to you, man.

Of course, every commissioning source has their share of bad apples, and the Academy does have its sh**bags. But not everyone here is a sh**bag- those are the guys who give this place a bad name.

By the way, no Academy mid has really hinted on this earlier. After you get out of the service, the Naval Academy Alumni Association hooks you up BIG TIME if you're willing to go to job fairs. The Academy ring doesn't necessarily help you in the service, but it can open doors that graduating from many other schools can't. No offense, but firms like Merryl Lynch definitely value an Academy degree when hiring. I haven't met an Academy graduate yet after getting out of the military that regretted that they went here. For instance, just come to a Navy football game and you'll see all the different classes and their tailgaters. You'll not only see the camaraderie they have as a class, but you'll see the amount of success they have obtained as a group. Some of these guys are CEO's and many Academy grads go on to do really well in the business world. :)

If you have any questions, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.