• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC/USNA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Or you can be a 1/C at the Academy doing very well because of that extra year of school, not having to sweat service selection. Yes, no matter what you will end up in the same place, as a Naval Officer, just plus or minus one year. It is only a year...

It is a big decision, and I waited until just about the last minute to tell them yes. I actually considered sending an acceptance to my second choice school as well (would not have been NROTC) just in case. Nothing wrong with feeling a little hesitation. I am not one of those who knew they wanted to go to the Academy since they were 6 years old but for the most part really enjoyed my time there. I liked the atmosphere, the comradarie around the hall, and that everyone was focused on the same mission- getting to the fleet. I do think Academy grads have a much better knowledge of and appreciation for the rest of the fleet than NROTC grads because of the immersion in the culture.

Just my .02 - PM if you want any other Pro-Academy thoughts.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This is true

Yeah I've thought about that too. I mean, an extra year of prep in calc and chem can't hurt, but the thought of it makes me cringe... :scared_12

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
I don't know how often it happens, but we did have a mid here transfer to the academy. It's not like going NROTC is sealing your fate, there might be a chance to feel it out and see if it doesn't provide the atmosphere that you're looking for. Perhaps others can offer more insight into this possibility.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Except it's not a transfer. Everyone has to spend four years at the Academy, regardless of prior credits earned. If you start the Academy with credits and can finish a BS early, you can take some graduate level classes towards the end. It's still extra time spent.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, you could always do freshman year in NROTC. Then, if you still want to go to the academy, just apply during your freshman year. I know mids who left after freshman year to start over again at the academy.

USN99

USN99
None
NozeMan said:
Yeah, you could always do freshman year in NROTC. Then, if you still want to go to the academy, just apply during your freshman year. I know mids who left after freshman year to start over again at the academy.

Nozeman makes a good point. Some other points I would volunteer-
- My son graduated from a military college.
-- I paid handsomely for his education, am proud of him and would do it again for my daughter (she declined).
-- However, I was left wondering what the recreation of 19th century Army barracks life had to to with a 21st century military.
-- Military colleges and academies were 18th or 19th century creations when the U.S. had few colleges and universities. Solid concepts for the times. But the U.S. now has over 230M people, and thousands of colleges and universities. No institution has any monopoly on talent. Also, I read recently in the Naval Institute Proceedings that the USNA has a "quota" system by which some get accepted with lower standards than others.
-- Military colleges and academies are really neat because they let 20 something upperclasspersons experiment as leaders on the underclasspersons, but
-- 20 something cadet/mids compare poorly to veteran NCOs or junior officers when it comes to leadership.
- I turned down a nomination to West Point because I wanted Navy only.
-- Got an NROTC Scholarship and eventually Command and promotion to O-6 ( and two Master's Degrees along the way- including one from an Ivy League University). NROTC didn't seem to hurt.
- My nephew was just accepted to the USNA.
-- He graduates from high school this summer. He did the Foundation last summer. He's pretty enthusiastic.
-- It's what he wants so he should just do it.

Bottom Line. Do what you feel like because if you do every day starts out pretty good and only a few go bad.

bigspy007

USN99- Do you mean your nephew did summer seminar last summer? The Foundation comes after graduation from high school.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
The quota system you speak of is for current enlisted, NAPS students, and minorities. Two of those I completely agree with, there should be seats reserved for current enlisted and NAPS students. At the very least, current enlisted.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Seriously I have never heard anyone at my unit say they wish they went to the academy, but if thats what you want to do go for it. Dont go in thinking ill try this and see if it works. GIve it 100% from the get go, and you will be rewarded with good results. I wouldnt try to "game" it by seeing how NAPS is or doing 1 year of NROTC and transferring. IF you really want it go and get it. Good luck.

Go NROTC

I'm partial to NROTC, since I'm in my FIFTH year. The Academy has a lot of prestige, and they will certainly take care of you. But if you like to have some independence and like to live and learn to act in a more normal military environment, go NROTC.

Also, if you're going aviation, you probably have a better chance with NROTC. I may be wrong, but as I understand the selection process, they split billets between the Academy and NROTC with the rest going to OCS. The Academy is very competitive, and many want to go aviation.

I got my pilot slot with a 3.19 GPA in aerospace engineering with 6's on the ASTB. It wasn't too hard to do, and I had a good time. I also learned more about how to take care of myself. Most people in NROTC have an extra job (a downside, but at least you get to choose it).

Think of it this way: you're probably more motivated to do well than others in NROTC (since you applied to the Academy). This will set you above your peers. You'll get more leadership opportunities and chances to grow as a result. And you will be on the front end of the competitive curve for billet selection.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I didn't realize the stipend increased for NROTC - especially in Junior/Senior years...wow!

I remember when it was $100/month all four years. We almost all had a part time job to cover the basics.

USN99

USN99
None
bigspy007 said:
USN99- Do you mean your nephew did summer seminar last summer? The Foundation comes after graduation from high school.
Yep, summer seminar. Thanks for the update.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I too had to choose between the Academy and NROTC. The main reason I chose NROTC was the fact that GW is known for my major in International Politics, and while the Academy offers Political Science it was not what I really wanted my degree in.

While I have been here, there have been many situations in which I have thought to myself wow, if I had gone to the Academy, I could not be doing this right now...
-Becoming really good friends with upperclassmen and friendly with professors,
-Dating other students at my school,
-Internships and Jobs,
-Going off campus whenever I feel like it,
-Knowing I'm having a blast and ending up in the same position as the Academy crowd...

I am so happy with NROTC. Think of it this way, if you accept NROTC and try it out for the first year and hate it, go to the Academy the following year (you will commission the same time you would have if you had gone Foundation).

Good luck with your decision. I hope this has helped. LG

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
What if he is told he STILL needs to go to foundation or NAPS after the first year at NROTC?
I'm still not changing my advice. I'm all about NROTC. You know you get paid better for NROTC, right? While a $300/mo. stipend seems like less than a $600/mo. paycheck from the Academy, about $500/mo. of the Academy paycheck is applied to repay your uniform issue, and NROTC uniforms are FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.