• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC/USNA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey I know this is getting old everyone, but I've had alot of mids perspectives from USNA, but I'd like to hear what some NROTC mids have to say. Here's my situation... Although I haven't been denied from USNA for the class of '09 yet, my name was submitted and I have been selected for the Naval Academy Foundation. Essentially, I do a year of prep school, and more or less I get into the Academy for the class of 2010. However, on tuesday, I just found out I got a NROTC scholarship to Penn State (Navy Option). Please, anyone offer me some insights. Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Hey I know this is getting old everyone, but I've had alot of mids perspectives from USNA, but I'd like to hear what some NROTC mids have to say. Here's my situation... Although I haven't been denied from USNA for the class of '09 yet, my name was submitted and I have been selected for the Naval Academy Foundation. Essentially, I do a year of prep school, and more or less I get into the Academy for the class of 2010. However, on tuesday, I just found out I got a NROTC scholarship to Penn State (Navy Option). Please, anyone offer me some insights. Thanks.
The question you want to ask yourself is whether you want to enjoy your college experience. I know lots of Academy guys that have said they would have just gone to a regular college if they had it to do over. I'm sure there are also lots of people who feel differently, but you have to ask yourself if you want to endure 4 years of ass pain just for the "experience." Once you get to the fleet, being an Academy grad doesn't get you a better parking spot, faster promotion, or the key to the executive washroom. More often than not (at least in aviation), Academy guys are the butt of readyroom jokes. Food for thought.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
well here we go again...

i did NROTC and had a good time.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Well i jsut typed this whole thread and now it didnt post so here goes again.

I got and appointment and an NROTC scholarship and i have never regretted the decision to go NROTC. You get free school, with a small stipend (tax free 250 a month, 300, 350, 400 senior) and you get to live a normal college studnets life well somewhat normal. PT at 6am twice a week sucks but at leats its free school. Also the end result is exactly the same. You get the same commision either way. Same chance of getting aviation, and same chance of promotion throughout your career. Also you have the option of transferrign schols and keeping our scholarship ant the new school. Further more, many NROTC schools (not mine though U of Illinois) will have scholarships available that cover room and board so it can then be a really good deal Bottom line you get to live a normal college life

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did NROTC. I'm glad I did it. You couldn't have paid me to go to the USNA. That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
NROTC here as well. I would do it over again in a heart beat. Here are a few reasons why, some may sound like BS, but I am being serious.

1- not only do you get to experience the "college experience", more importantly you have to learn how to deal with peers who don't care about your group project, they are only here so that they can get their degree and take over daddy's multi mill company. Or other **** like that, you get the point. Believe it or not, there are going to be lazy asses like that in the navy that you are going to have to lead and motivate. Good practice!

2- you learn how to deal with the ULTRA liberal professors, who truly believe that this country is imorral, corrupt and abusive.

3- You do not have to go to class! This is important, not just for the obvious reasons but for a few others. You learn to time manage and figure out what is really important. IE, I have a huge paper due, but I have to go to this BS frosh history class for 3 hrs.... screw it, I am staying home and doing the paper. Or more likely, screw it, I am staying in bed and sleeping off this hang over LOL.

4- You don't have to eat, breath, sleep and talk about the navy all the time. You get to be a somewhat normal college student. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time later to "live" the Nav.

Anyway, I am rambling. I loved NROTC... averaged 40+ days a season on the ski slopes for 4.5 yrs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
NROTC all the way. All the reasons have pretty much been hit on. Don't believe the hype that any one commissioning source is better than any other.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: you learn to take care of yourself. By this I mean you learn how to deal with bills (rent, utilities) and budget your money. This may seem like an annoyance in college, but youre better off learning it early than after you've already been commissioned and have to learn how to sign a lease etc....

snizo

Supply Officer
There is only one USNA. There are a lot of ROTC units. You get one undergrad college experience. Pick your school for the school - location/sports/social life/academics/etc. 100 different NROTC units mean 100 different combinations of each of these. Don't lump all NROTC units in to one block and weigh them all together against the USNA because each one is different. Find the school that matches your interests best and go there (even if it is the academy).

I have heard many people say they regretted picking the Academy over ROTC. I have never heard the opposite.

bigspy007

I dealing with the same problem...the Naval Academy Foundation and an NROTC Scholarship to Texas A&M...I'm turning down appointments to West Point and Kings Point. I'm between the Foundation and NROTC....I'm leaning towards the Foundation. I talked to mids from NROTC and the academy, and I think the academy is a better fit for me, but it just depends what you want. I don't think one source makes better officers, bad ones will come from both...but the academic program for what I want to major in is better at the academy.....but I really just hope I get in this year...although in the long run the extra year won't be to bad.
Also I know Mids at the Academy who have no regrets about turning down NROTC....they love the academy and the experience, but then I do know mids who hate the academy to.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Note: there are very few mids who hate NROTC. Those that do, well, they tend to filter our as time goes on.

I'm a freshman cadet with AFROTC, but I think this can apply to the Navy. Personally, I was really gung-ho Academy last year. I thought that ROTC was nothing compared to the Academy, but you get out of ROTC what you put in. I pledged with Arnold Air, and when we were done I could do twice as many push-ups (easily over 100), I could sprint faster than when I was in track, and I could run long distances faster than during soccer. Then this semester I started cross-training with Army ROTC and they taught us jui-jitsu, MOUT, assaults, recon, etc. All the challenges are voluntary though. In fact, I found out that I was only the third AFROTC cadet to ever do Desert Rangers with Army ROTC and the first to do the Ranger Run (a 12 mile run with a 35 lb ruck-sack), which was followed by a 13-hour Field Training Exercize. I guess last year they got inserted by Blackhawks for a two-day FTX in the boonies, but the HH-60s are deployed right now. Like I said, you get out of it what you put in.

It pays off, I'll prob get an F-16 ride this semester and I'll prob be an OPFOR at a Nat'l Guard training exercize in Little Baghdad in Yuma at the end of May. I have a friend at USAFA, and he hasn't gotten a chance to do any of this. Then again, my story probably isn't typical of most cadets (IE: I have been a lucky bastard).

I won't reitirate what everyone else said about college being fun as hell and the leadership/social skills you gain, but I can personally attest that I have matured (socially) more this year than all four years of high school combined (even though I was always trying to build leadership, etc.). I've also never had so much fun or worked so hard in my life. I have no idea what life is like at the USNA, but I do know I love ROTC.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Ace, keep that up. The AFROTC cadets when I was in college were nasty and unmotivated. Good to hear that you're actually interested in combat and warfare, instead of R&D (which of course is necessary, but DAMN that ROTC unit was not very "warrior-like").

Status
Not open for further replies.