• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC SNA stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I have PMed some of you about this topic and I felt that maybe it is a good idea to share this knowledge with everyone else. For those of you either in NROTC still or those who have recently started living the dream that is the SNA, what sort of stats did you have while in NROTC? GPA, ASTB, Aptitude Ranking, any activities, etc. Also, any advice you could offer to those of us who are applying this ('05) year would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your help.

beau

I would say just worry about you. Selection is always changing and the only way to make sure you get what you want is to make sure you do as well as possible before selection. I can tell you that right now that Pilot slots are not a easy to get as two years ago. Just make damn sure you keep that GPA above average and most importantly keep a positive attitude.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WHAT IS THE AVIATION SELECTION TEST BATTERY (ASTB)?

1. The ASTB is a method used by the Aviation community to aid in the selection of potential Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers. It is based upon the characteristics of successful officers within the Aviation community. It is also very large part of your service selection ranking against other potential aviators.

2. Q: What are these arbitrary grades?

A: Six scores are taken from your ASTB test. The first five areas are graded on a curve with one (1) being the minimum score and nine (9) being the highest. The OAR is irrelevant for NROTC Midshipmen. These are the categories and possible scores:

AQR: Academic Qualification Rating 1 - 9
PFAR: Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating 1 - 9
FOFAR: Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating 1 - 9
PBI: Pilot Biographical Inventory 1 – 9 (Not Used Anymore)
FOBI: Flight Officer Biographical Inventory 1 – 9 (Not Used Anymore)
OAR: Officer Aptitude Rating 20 – 80 (Not Used for NROTC/Academy)

3. Q: What do they mean?

A: The three AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR scores predict future performance. The PBI and FOBI scores predict attrition.

4. Q: How I fit in with my score?

A: The AQR, PFAR, FOFAR, PBI, and FOBI scores fall within certain stanines. Take a look at the following table to see where you stand. If you can't figure out the statistics, your score was probably not very good.

Stanine Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Percentage of test scores within stanine 4 7 12 17 20 17 12 7 4

5. Q: How do I go about taking this test?

A: See a local Officer recruiter or see the Aviation Advisor.

6. Q: How many times can I take the test?

A: You can take the test as many times as you would like, but the last score is the only one that counts. Thirty (30) days must elapse between the first test and the second test. Between the second and subsequent tests at least 180 days must transpire. Navy & Marine Corps Recruiters can Field Score the test and tell you your results immediately. Unfortunately, the Aviation Advisor at the NROTC has to send the test to NAMI for scoring and this process can take up to two weeks.

7. Q: How, exactly, do these scores apply to my service selection?

A: Midshipmen from all 65 NROTC units compete on a national level for the available aviation billets. An aviation service selection score is computed for all physically qualified Midshipmen who would like to go into Naval Aviation. The top candidates are then selected. The following service selection formula is used:

Cumulative GPA 27%
Adjusted Aptitude (Fall of 1/C Year only) 21%
(CNET statistically adjusts aptitude to normalize the subjective grading differences in the 65 NROTC units)
Academic Major 6%
(Based on OPMIS major: Technical (47-66) is 100% of the possible points, Science and Math (36-40, 42-46, 90) is 87.5%, and Non-technical (1-35, 41, 67-89, 91-99) is 75%)
PNS Subjective Evaluation (assigned by CO) 6%
AQR 15%
PFAR (for Pilots) or FOFAR (for NFOs) 25%
Total: 100%

8. Q: What if I have more questions?

A: Please contact your Aviation Advisor to answer more questions!!

9. Obviously, the way to get the best score is to get a 4.0 (4.0 scale) in a technical major, get a 4.0 fall evaluation, impress the PNS, and score well on the ASTB. A full 40% of your ranking is based upon this 2.5 hour test, so you can see how critical this test will be. Remember, the competition is struggling as well.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all of this said...getting 5's or better will give you a competitive edge. YES, GPA counts as well....so study hard and keep that GPA around at least a 3.0. Good luck!
ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ooops: For NROTC guys & gals getting above a 5 is competitive, for all you OCS'ers, getting somewhere above a 7 is considered competitive.....Hope this helps.
ea6bflyr

DISCLAIMER: There is no exact science for getting a flight slot (esp. OCS'ers)....it all depends on the needs of the Navy & Marine Corps. Bottom line is that the higher your scores are the more competitive your package becomes....Good luck!

Is there a min. bottomline GPA?

What if you go to a difficult school as an engineering major and get about a 3.0, give or take .2? On another thread people mentioned needing a 3.5 to be competitive, which is one reason I'm considering switching out of ENGR.

snizo

Supply Officer
The Navy prefers people with technical majors. As stated above, this doesn't count much (6%) right now ... BUT according to our CO, they are looking to change that to weight technical majors more in the near future.

Stick with it if you can. A 3.0-3.2 for an engineer isn't bad ... especially if you are at a highly competitive school. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of other things that matter -- keep your PT and aptitude up for the evals and do well on the ASTB.

Thanks for your help, I'll probably make some very big decisions based on this thread.

Does anyone know how much consideration Marine PLCers are given? Are they graded the same as NROTC, OCS, or in between?

Once again, thanks for the help.

cricechex

One more question, Does the professional Pilot (don't know the politically correct term off the top of my head) bachelor's degree from ERU count as a technical degree?

topgungtv

cricechex,

No it is not a technical degree. The only technical degrees from ERAU are anything ending in engineering.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I have heard that there is no "weight" as far as one school over another. I know that ENG majors get the 6% or whatever but does the school you go to have anything to do with whether or not you will get selected? Also, when are they considering changing the 6%? I am assuming it will count for more if they change it? Thanks again for all the help.

snizo

Supply Officer
Yes they are considering channging the 6% -- and likely will do it. Our CO came back from the last PNS conference and said they were looking at that because the Navy still wasn't getting as many people with technical majors as they want.

Weighting by schools? According to the equations ... no ... but I suppose the only people who could answer that for sure are the people who do the selections...

Status
Not open for further replies.