• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC and USNA

sdhitt

I'm in the process of applying for an appointment at USNA and an NROTC marine option scholarship at UCSD. I went to NASS this summer and since then my heart hasn't really been into attending the academy, but my dad is getting on my case about how I'm better off if I do attend the Academy. Is there a big difference career-wise between ROTC and USNA grads in the military and in the civilian world?

sickboy

pilot
Long story short, no one cares how you commission. It's just a topic of conversation. Either way, you're still going to TBS.

Civilian world, I wouldn't know, but USNA is designed to produce officers, not civilians.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
No. A year into being an ENS/2nd Lt, no one can tell the difference anyways. You'll still be retarded either way, just like the rest of us.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other than the big brass knuckle, no. No one can tell, no one gives a shit. You have no better chance of becoming a pilot either way, no better chance of becoming a Flag, nothing.

If you've seen USNA and weren't that thrilled, and "your heart's not really into it," you'll be gone before Plebe Summer's even over. Saw plenty of those kids, and the ones who were there because Dad wanted them to go, never lasted long. Dad's not going there, you are. Go where you want to go.

I almost said, "Ensigns are all equally worthless," but three years at Schools Command have taught me that there are in fact many, many fine shades of worthlessness among Ensigns.

BeerMe

If you go to USNA, you won't have to go to OCS....

If you go to UCSD, you won't have to go to USNA.

I hated Summer Seminar, but just graduated from Annapolis this past May and wouldn't have traded it for anything. I don't care what any of the haters on here say, if you take full advantage of all it has to offer, USNA is a superior commissioning source.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'll say this, NASS is an introduction and gives you an idea of what you will be dealing with at the Academy, but it's not complete. There's so much more to the school. I'm willing to answer any questions you have about it (07 grad) with no bull answers. Like Uncle Fester said, if you're not into it, it's going to be a hell of a time. One thing about the Academy is that you have to WANT to go there since that's really what'll get you through the shit times (and they are there).

MasterBates

So how is USNA "superior"..

Just curious. I had a superior good time on BDCP, came and went as I pleased, and make more money than my USNA peers due to an extra year and change of service.

sdhitt

Thanks for sharing your opinions with me, it means a lot. As a follow-up question, how would you rate the NROTC program at Berkeley? How well does the program prepare for OCS? I'm applying to Stanford, but I'm worried that the program is not that strong since all the mids are so far apart.

Crowbar

None
how would you rate the NROTC program at Berkeley? How well does the program prepare for OCS? I'm applying to Stanford, but I'm worried that the program is not that strong since all the mids are so far apart.

Any NROTC unit will provide you the opportunity to earn a commission. Picking a school based on the perceived reputation of its current NROTC program might seem like a good idea, but as with everything else, luck and timing will come into play. A new MOI or AMOI can come in and turn a 'bad' program 'good' or a 'good' program 'bad' in no time. What seems like the perfect program now might be a clownshow by this time next year and vice versa. If you want to pick a school because it has a certain academic program with a good reputation, that's different. That's built up over years or decades and typically won't change overnight.

I know in the end you're going to do what you think is right, just be aware of how quickly and drastically a unit can change.

An obvious academy grad said:
I don't care what any of the haters on here say, if you take full advantage of all it has to offer, USNA is a superior commissioning source.

That's just, like...your opinion, man.

20080828174558!The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg

nombrescreeno

My advice:

Follow the school you like and see yourself enjoying. Work hard at said school, and party harder. You only get to be an undergrad once, and everyone wishes they could be an undergrad one more time..

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When I applied to STA-21 I talked it over extensively with my CO and XO (both Acadamy grads). My biggest question was why were so many Admirals from the Acadamy and so few from elsewhere...and this was their response:

In the past (50's, 60's, 70's, maybe 80's) those attending a military academy were considered elite simply because they were getting to attend a college (read: any college) espcially for free. The competition to get in was tough, and graduates were expected to make a career out of the military (think Adm. Mullen types). The Navy used the Academy as a primary commissioning source because not many people could afford to go to college.

Today, college is much more accessible to a larger percentage of the population. That said, the Navy has extended its officer recruiting to STA-21, BDCP, OCS, ODS, etc...since more people can afford to go to college the Navy has a much larger recruitment pool. As we see our peers move through the ranks, less Academy grads will hold top spots as the officer pool becomes populated with other commissioning sources.

The bottom line was that for a long time, the Academy was the most significant source breeding career Naval Officers, now, that is not so much the case. Today, your commissioning source doesn't make a bit of difference.

d3west86

DON'T do something (like go to the naval academy) just because you DAD wants you to. You have to really want to go for you own reasons, otherwise you'll be miserable.

At one time my dad tried to force me to go to USCGA (of course because he did). I did NROTC instead, and now I'm commissioned. No big deal; I just took my own path. Make your OWN choice as to which you would like to attend -- there are Pros and Cons to each.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
DON'T do something (like go to the naval academy) just because you DAD wants you to. You have to really want to go for you own reasons, otherwise you'll be miserable.

Ditto on this sentiment in so, so, so many ways. You're a big boy now, and daddy's already had his chance to do what he wanted. Even if you have to be "tough" with him, tell him what you think is best, tell him you respect his opinion (if applicable), and tell him what you are doing. Other than Mr. Superior's you've gotten good advice here.

@ BeerMe: Please continue to repeat that throughout the next year.

Pilot123

pilot
It is funny to read this thread. My dad wasn't too hip on me going to USNA when I applied. He figured I was doing it for him and not because I wanted to. Kinda the opposite of what is going on here.

Hawk12

None
It is all up to you, if you don't want to go to USNA then don't. We all end up in the same place at the end, it is simply a matter of getting there. I personally have throughly enjoyed NROTC. I've done well enough to pick up a mid-year scholarship from my CO whereas I didn't even think about USNA due to high school grades and the lifestyle just didn't appeal to me.