• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC and USNA

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Still - if you're not 100% raring to go to Annapolis, then don't. I can't emphasize this enough. You have to really, really want to be there, because frankly, a fair amount of the time, it's a seriously sucky place to be. Your personal motivaton is the only thing that will keep you there.

Troof x1000. Can't say it enough.

koolaiddrinker

"Strategic Planner" Hahahahahahaha
pilot
BTW: I'm a girl

From a "girl" Academy Grad:

-In my experience/opinion (based on 12 years in the fleet (OMG has it really been 12 years)) there is no difference in the opportunity/qualification of naval officer from any commissioning source. Your performance will depend on whether or not you have the right mix of intelligence, common sense, nerve, stamina and desire to do your job.

-Part of the "shock and awe" of USNA for you would be the experience of being an extreme minority. I have no interest in starting a diversity thread here, but there is a significant adjustment to being the only female in a squad, class or club. It can be overcome and I had a good experience at USNA. However, you will have a significantly more normal college social experience going to a school with a more normal distribution of males and females. Just saying. Women have attended the Academy and have excelled. But, it does start the clock earlier in your career for living in a predominantly male, testosterone laced environment. (And I'm to the point that I prefer a mostly male working environment, but for the love of all that is holy is the constant farting in the cockpit really necessary?).

-I would not trade the friends I made at USNA. That is primarily the reason that I don't say "I wish I'd done ROTC." However, I agree with most of the posters here who said that if your heart isn't set on Canoe U, there are other programs that will get you to the same place in the same amount of time that maybe you would enjoy more.

Good luck whatever you choose.

BeerMe

OP- You'll be happy with whatever source you choose to commission. USNA wa sgreat for me and I'd always recommend over the others.

AW Mafia-- Sorry I offended everyone with my opinion and made all us "Academy guys" look bad. I have pride in my school and wouldn't have gone/stayed there if I didn't think it was the best.

I'm sure each person feels their respective commissioning source was the best route for them and others as well.

I didn't attack anyone or claim to be better--hell I know many superior officers from all commissioning sources--just said that in my opinion there are better opportunities at USNA. I didn't realize that would ruffle so many Instructor/Fleet LT/DH feathers. I respect your opinions, and don't resort to calling you "asshats" or "assholes" for having them.

That's all I have left to say to say in the matter.

Have a great weekend.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
-I would not trade the friends I made at USNA. That is primarily the reason that I don't say "I wish I'd done ROTC." However, I agree with most of the posters here who said that if your heart isn't set on Canoe U, there are other programs that will get you to the same place in the same amount of time that maybe you would enjoy more.

I was an NROTC MID and I feel the same way about my college buddies... I have some great friends that became nearly extensions of my family... I feel the same way about them that my girlfriend does about her company mates... the advantage that Koolaid and other USNA grads have is they get to serve with their college buddies.

My buddies are in areas where I will never be...

That being said I went to a small NROTC unit and while I didnt dislike my fellow MIDs I was closer to my civilian friends... your NROTC experience may be very different than mine.

As an aside you may also want to contact the Berkley unit and talk with them about their situation. Being in Berkley they have some challenges that many other units dont have to face. I have spoken to a few grads from the program and they said their experience was different from many other units.

And on a personal note: I have noticed LOTS of people who didnt go to USNA (mostly OCS but also from NROTC) that talk a lot of sh!t about the Academy. As an NROTC graduate, I think I am one of the few who still wishes I had been accepted to USNA. I still think I would have enjoyed my time at Navy... And even the Ensigns who say they hated it are very proud of where they came from, even if they would never admit it.

I would only ask that if you go, finish it out... dont accpet an appointment and then drop out, because there is a well qualified applicant that didnt get the oportunity to go to Navy who would have graduated.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'll say this about the Academy though; the networking is UNREAL. I remember getting to API and already knowing (or knew by the time I left) at least half of A-pool and it's only gotten larger as I progressed. Not only do I know a lot in the aviation community, but I know guys all over the fleet. Granted over time you'll build your friends, but Academy guys do have a leg up.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I would only ask that if you go, finish it out... dont accpet an appointment and then drop out, because there is a well qualified applicant that didnt get the oportunity to go to Navy who would have graduated.

Well said. So many times it pissed us off when some shitbag was let in (not saying anyone here is) or when someone left because they didn't like it. Remember, if you don't want to be there, someone else does.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'll say this about the Academy though; the networking is UNREAL. I remember getting to API and already knowing (or knew by the time I left) at least half of A-pool and it's only gotten larger as I progressed. Not only do I know a lot in the aviation community, but I know guys all over the fleet. Granted over time you'll build your friends, but Academy guys do have a leg up.

Same can be said about the friends all middies (from NROTC and USNA) make on cruise. I ended up living in primary with a guy I was on 2/c cruise with, and I think almost everyone from my 1/c cruise ended up here in Meridian. It's a pretty small world no matter where you came from.

lmnop

Pill_Hacker said:
Those from bigger Universities also get more opportunities to network with civilians and other business professionals for the post-Navy world.

Just curious, have your former classmates/buddies/profs been pretty helpful for you in your transition from the service?

lmnop

Pill_Hacker said:
I can't tell if you are trying to be facetious, but I am not in the service. However, I have already reaped the benefits of networking with classmates and alumni, helping me with being granted an opportunity to join the service, gain excellent professional experience as well as expand my 'connections' into other, larger, professional organizations. With that said, had I had the opportunity to go to the USNA (didn't even try), I would have taken it.

Yes, I was being facetious. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that you might not have the experience to arrive at a conclusion about which route is better when it comes time to make the transition to civilian life. While I stay in contact with a few people from college, I've found that professional contacts I've made through the Navy are much more relevant for life after uniform. I realize that isn't the case for everyone, but it's what I've seen with most of my peers.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Pill_Hacker said:
I realize that they probably are, but all I was trying to get across is that going to a civilian institution exposes you to another peer group that you wouldn't see through USNA. No worries, I do know that I don't know anything :p

I think you were right on the money with that comment.

Im not trying to find a job in the private sector, but my college experience exposed me to some people who are now well on their way to becoming people I would call in the future. Most of these folks are 25 so they arent in a position to help out yet.... but at age 35 (when my commitment is up) there are plenty of people I met in college that I would likely get back into touch with...

nombrescreeno

I think the general consensus is that it doesn't matter where you come from - a dbag will still be a dbag

I'm sure there's pros and cons of networking and name for your school (Naval Academy vs. other universities out there) so if you're worried about that, weigh the schools you are going to. Some schools have bigger names and alumni base than others, and in some regions of the country, all the big college grads will come from one or two big name schools and that's networking/name in itself. USNA is definitely a big name and it would certainly be a bigger name for a civilian than a random state school. On the other hand, for instance, if you get into Stanford - a top 10 school in the nation - your school's reputation and all that will be fine (and of course, in the end after you get experience, how you perform and act will matter even more than the school you went to).

Also, having known high school friends that went to the Academy, make sure you are absolutely committed to it. You don't want to drop out after taking the spot of someone who might have wanted it more but didn't get the opportunity to do so.

Personally? If you aren't sure about going to the Academy, don't go. People go to school and a new environment and can change rapidly - hell, I would barely recognize myself from my pre-college days to when I graduated. It's great you want to join the Navy, so find out about NROTC at the schools you are applying to, and go kick butt at the school you choose. And yes, work hard, and play harder - you won't get another chance to live like an undergrad

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AW Mafia-- Sorry I offended everyone with my opinion and made all us "Academy guys" look bad...in my opinion there are better opportunities at USNA. I didn't realize that would ruffle so many Instructor/Fleet LT/DH feathers. I respect your opinions, and don't resort to calling you "asshats" or "assholes" for having them...That's all I have left to say to say in the matter...

Oh, fuck you, New Guy, and fuck off with your "it's my opinion, I'm entitled to my opinion" bullshit. You came off like a pompous Academy ass before, and you're still doing it now. If your four years by the bay didn't get you used to being told to shut the fuck up while grownups are talking, then learn real fast or your time in TRACOM and the Fleet will be unpleasant.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
To emphasize something Fester said... you do have the right to your opinion, but when outclassed as a brand-new ENS or any FNG of any rank, voicing said opinion is not always/rarely/possibly never a good idea. For example, my opinion on this whole USNA vs civilian college thing is