• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

now selecting V-22's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

I know both the Studs who selected them.....one live right across the street.....i dont know what they think of it yet, because they have no idea how the pipline is going to pan out for them.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
freshy said:
f-14's have ejection seats.

The only thing the v-22 is gonna be "neat" for, is transport. In my opinion we could have put the billions of dollars somewhere else. C-130s are doing fine in that realm. The Osprey was originally designed to be some kinda ch-46 replacement to land in LZ's and get there quick. And I agree it will be neat if that's all the Navy/Marine corps wants it for. But in a hot LZ or any other combat situation you would be better off in the 46 probably or a Huey for that matter. Too bad if you descend too fast the v-22 flips on its back and everyone onboard dies. Oh yeah, and you can't put a friggin door gunner on the thing because you'll shoot one of your nacelles off. And if you are so unfortunate to be one of the Marines unloading in a hot LZ, everyone has to stand up and file out the back slowly, two by two just like in the 46.

You have no idea what you are talking about! Sounds like the same TBS propaganda I heard at TBS and API. Let me guess, you did your research based on the liberal media, who of course hates the Osprey. Get a clue and be a little more open minded...

It'll be your luck that YOU'LL select the Osprey out of Primary.

trongod46

pilot
well ive seen the osprey a few times out at Yuma during WTI a few years back, it was an awesome looking aircraft, as for being dangerous an experimental aircraft will be, i agree with patmack there, lots of room for promotion in a new squadron there, talking about LZ defense, i suppose the Z-model Cobra would probably launch first get on station if applicable. I think the 22 is not going to used that way in my opinion, more of recon insertions in unknown areas that arent exactly on fire at the time, read up some 4GW stuff to get a better feel.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, it's not as frowned upon as most these TBS/API guys think, especially here in the HT's. Very few I've talked to are totally against it, that includes instructors.

I'd fly it....

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
E5B said:
You have no idea what you are talking about! Sounds like the same TBS propaganda I heard at TBS and API. Let me guess, you did your research based on the liberal media, who of course hates the Osprey. Get a clue and be a little more open minded...

It'll be your luck that YOU'LL select the Osprey out of Primary.

1. I'll be happy to fly anything that says "Marines" on it!

2 Like I said before, I'm no expert on the osprey.

3. You guessed wrong as to where I did my research, it was mostly from publications from Boeing and Bell Textron. But since you mentioned it, the liberal media like the "red ribbon panel" had some good arguements.

trongod46

pilot
on the USMC official website there is a story with SOTG and ANGLICO fast roping out of an OSPREY doing some field evals on it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I dare say that nearly 100% of the most severe critics have never even stood inside a static aircraft, much less operated out of it. EVERY unit and observer who has actually ridden in or operated in the thing has been abolutely blown away by the capabilities. For example, one of the beefs in the media has been that it has too much rotorwash to FAST rope out of. All the Marines who've roped out of it say it's the best, most stable platform they've ever seen.

It has some shortcomings, the gun being perhaps the most noticable. However, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. This thing is lightyears ahead of everything else out there. To those who say you'll never see a cold-LZ in real life, you're high. MOST LZ's are cold. An insert into a hot LZ means something's gone wrong. Medevacs will go into hot LZs, but this means you're surrounded by friendlies and won't be lighting it up with .50 anyway. This isn't to say it never happens, but get Apocalypse Now out of your minds. The job is to counter threats, and I'd say that speed and stealth will probably be more effective for an assault aircraft than a gun 90% of the time.

Ya'll should be fortunate enough to select this bird.

Reactions: E5B

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I dare say that nearly 100% of the most severe critics have never even stood inside a static aircraft, much less operated out of it. EVERY unit and observer who has actually ridden in or operated in the thing has been abolutely blown away by the capabilities. For example, one of the beefs in the media has been that it has too much rotorwash to FAST rope out of. All the Marines who've roped out of it say it's the best, most stable platform they've ever seen.

It has some shortcomings, the gun being perhaps the most noticable. However, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. This thing is lightyears ahead of everything else out there. To those who say you'll never see a cold-LZ in real life, you're high. MOST LZ's are cold. An insert into a hot LZ means something's gone wrong. Medevacs will go into hot LZs, but this means you're surrounded by friendlies and won't be lighting it up with .50 anyway. This isn't to say it never happens, but get Apocalypse Now out of your minds. The job is to counter threats, and I'd say that speed and stealth will probably be more effective for an assault aircraft than a gun 90% of the time.

I asked specifically about Hot vs. Cold LZ earlier. Thanks for the answer!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Phrog ... question for ya ... i was shooting the sh1t with my XO the other day while watching an Osprey land here and he said he had heard the Osprey the Corps was buying was not pressurized, which we both took it as it couldn't fly above 10k unless all the troops were on O2? is that really the case?

also, we both were surprised at how quite it was. it taxied to our line & it's more quite then all the Helos i've heard before.

s/f

phrogdriver said:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No, it's currently not pressurized in back. However, remember that the time limits above 10K are for aircrew, not pax. The aircrew do get O2 via masks. Most fit people can stay from 10-13K almost indefinitely without ill effects; the 10K rule is a very conservative number for the special demands on aircrew. However, we would like to eventually be able to fly a lot higher, though, so some pressurization would be great. Maybe Boeing will help us out with the later.

Oh yeah, to go back to a couple of earlier posts. The aircraft usually flies with 4, but it usually doesn't need that many guys, so you may see the usual crew go to 3.

The other weird point someone raised was that it uses a ramp, like a 46. How else do 24 Marines get out of an aircraft? Though the damn windows? Sliding doors are fine for a Huey with 4 guys, but for a larger bird, ramps are the fastest way out. Also keep in mind that this is a naval bird that has to take shipboard cargo via forklift. Aircraft with sliding doors can't take forklift cargo while turning. A small detail, but believe me its a big deal during ambhibious resupply.

Also, EVERY helo can be subject to vortex ring state during slow a/s, high rt of descent. The V-22 is the only bird that warns you before you enter it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey phrog, think they'll fit a ramp gun on it like they do on 53's?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Phrog ... i understand that 10k limit is for aircrew, i guess what i'm getting at is it seems like a waste of capability to have to fly under 13k, right in the heart of manpads, when it could cruise 15k or higher. i know Helos have to deal with it but they fly at 50 feet which limits the line of sight for those manpad shooters. i'll be interested on the new tactics that will have to be developed for this platform

what's your thoughts?

the more i read about the Osprey & talk with it's pilots, the more i like it ... though i still don't think i want to fly it.

S/F

phrogdriver said:
No, it's currently not pressurized in back. However, remember that the time limits above 10K are for aircrew, not pax. The aircrew do get O2 via masks. Most fit people can stay from 10-13K almost indefinitely without ill effects; the 10K rule is a very conservative number for the special demands on aircrew. However, we would like to eventually be able to fly a lot higher, though, so some pressurization would be great. Maybe Boeing will help us out with the later.

Oh yeah, to go back to a couple of earlier posts. The aircraft usually flies with 4, but it usually doesn't need that many guys, so you may see the usual crew go to 3.

The other weird point someone raised was that it uses a ramp, like a 46. How else do 24 Marines get out of an aircraft? Though the damn windows? Sliding doors are fine for a Huey with 4 guys, but for a larger bird, ramps are the fastest way out. Also keep in mind that this is a naval bird that has to take shipboard cargo via forklift. Aircraft with sliding doors can't take forklift cargo while turning. A small detail, but believe me its a big deal during ambhibious resupply.

Also, EVERY helo can be subject to vortex ring state during slow a/s, high rt of descent. The V-22 is the only bird that warns you before you enter it.

Reactions: E5B
Status
Not open for further replies.