• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2022 Dallas Airshow Collision

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There is a massive group of eminently qualified, highly experienced, and incredibly safe aviators flying CAF warbirds across the USA, to include the gentleman pictured who I was privileged to meet today. His face is likely a familiar one to those who post here.. Anyway, as per normal maybe it’s a good idea to keep speculation to a minimum until the professionals can do their jobs - not one of us knows the full picture of what happened in Texas today, nor will we until the investigators do their work.
I concur entirely, but it is quite normal to speculate without insult.

dustydog

pilot
I don’t post much anymore but the older I get the more I realize how small this community is. I heard about this mishap while sitting in Shanghai. The Capt and I both immediately started texting people we knew who were associated with CAF.

croakerfish

pilot
In the last year AAHF instituted new age and medical requirements for pilots. We really do need some younger members. If I was a former military helo guy I would jump at a chance to fly historic aircraft at little to no cost. But kids, these days, they are not joiners. Whether bowling league, VFW, America Leagion or a fraternity.
Man we have way too much shit to do especially if we have kids. I’m not giving up time with my family to do laps in the pattern in some ancient whistling shitcan of death. That’s why old guys are the ones doing it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man we have way too much shit to do especially if we have kids. I’m not giving up time with my family to do laps in the pattern in some ancient whistling shitcan of death. That’s why old guys are the ones doing it.

I get it. Clearly you're not saying I was a bad father when I was Drilling in the Navy, flying with the Sheriff's Office and serving as a Blue and Gold Officer all at the same time? Still not everyone your age has kids. And I'd simply be happy if there were more 45 to 50 year olds with older kids that would get involved and give us a good 10 to 15 years. Better still, a younger parent that could make some of that family time bringing a kid to the hangar to work on legendary aircraft or help out at a veterans event we support. But hey, to each his own. I have no issue with a guy that puts family first as he defines it. But "whistling shit can of death" I take serious exception to. That is an insult to lots of highly disciplined and experienced folks who put their sweat into our aircraft. They love them a lot more than the typical AE3, and has a good bit more experience.

Mos

None
Very sad to hear about this and see the video. As awful as this is, based on the various footage angles, looks like it could've hit people on the ground had it happened a few seconds earlier.

HuggyU2

None
The long-term repercussions of this are likely to be significant for the warbird and airshow community. I have to think that getting insurance for warbirds is going to be tough... and I wouldn't be surprised if the policies limit mass formations or something else.

I see this investigation finding more than a simple "pilot went blind and didn't deconflict" result.

Side note, I know plenty of guys that are younger than 60 and flying WWII warbirds.

In any case, get ready to hear from the lawyers...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The long-term repercussions of this are likely to be significant for the warbird and airshow community. I have to think that getting insurance for warbirds is going to be tough... and I wouldn't be surprised if the policies limit mass formations or something else.

I see this investigation finding more than a simple "pilot went blind and didn't deconflict" result.

Side note, I know plenty of guys that are younger than 60 and flying WWII warbirds.

In any case, get ready to hear from the lawyers...
I'd be curious to see what the claims history is like. With the exception of Galloping Ghost at Reno 2011, I can't remember ground casualties in recent years. I am sure you have better memory on these things. As to hull insurance claims, I am pretty sure AAHF carries no hull coverage. May not even be able to get it. Bet that is common. But reason will not guide this debate.

Guessing the first take on fallout will be ICAS in December. Will you be there?

HuggyU2

None
There has not been a US airshow spectator fatality from a display aircraft since 1954. The Reno event was air racing, and is governed by a different set of rules.

Probably won't make ICAS for the first time in quite a while. I may pop through Vegas Tuesday or Wednesday night and just see everyone at the bar and to see the new venue, though. If I do, I'll drop you a note.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm 51, and none of those things sound like fun to me. The kids are just fine.
Me neither. Just making a point about a well documented trend that appears to change society In discrete ways.

exNavyOffRec

Me neither. Just making a point about a well documented trend that appears to change society In discrete ways.
We have guys in the VFW that do many things together such as fishing, hunting, golfing, cooking, working on classic cars, etc..... and these are guys in their 30's to 40's.

We have several in my post that are great cooks and we exchange recipes for smoking various meats, you never know what connections you can make.