• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2022 Dallas Airshow Collision

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am suggesting that the lack of "joining" or extracurricular social interaction in the lives of many Americans is a tragedy revealed in many ways not good for society.
It's always difficult for the older generations to understand that society and people's choices and behavior will inevitably evolve. This all has a Polly Anna "kids these days" sentiment that isn't particularly useful in understanding behavior. I'd also check your sources about teen suicide rates. CDC stats disagree with your claim.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's always difficult for the older generations to understand that society and people's choices and behavior will inevitably evolve. This all has a Polly Anna "kids these days" sentiment that isn't particularly useful in understanding behavior. I'd also check your sources about teen suicide rates. CDC stats disagree with your claim.
Yes, they will evolve. Yes it is hard to understand, that is why it must not be ignored. Not all evolution in this regard is good. I didn't say "teen" suicide. And as the discussion has progressed I tried to make clear I wasn't truly talking about kids in terms of youth, but was originally trying to be humorous in reference to the long standing observation you mention above.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This isn't exactly a new problem, I've seen quite a few accounts of Vietnam-era veterans not wanting to join the VFW and American Legion because the older members looked down on them for fighting in a losing war. That is the reason the Vietnam Veterans of American was founded with the motto "Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."

Yeah I think this is an important point: it wasn’t this current generation that caused a decline in participation at these types of places. They were already dead when i was a kid decades ago. Boomers, Gen X would have been who wink might be looking at here.

I think younger generations are actually joining lots of groups and activities, they are just a lot less traditional and formalized in nature as something like VFW or whatever else. That difference IS probably generational, owing to ease of access to others/group organization via technology, possibly a more widespread distaste for institutions in general, etc. I think that might be what you are seeing Wink

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Is there an actual study of some kind that shows the 18-30 year olds, or whatever age group we are talking about, join fewer things? Looking at the younger Millennial and older Gen Zs around me, I see plenty of book clubs and recreational sports leagues (and spouses groups) and similar, in addition to the many virtual groups in which they participate. Hell, the workouts de jour seem to be Crossfit and Peloton, both of which have a strong social component.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Is there an actual study of some kind that shows the 18-30 year olds, or whatever age group we are talking about, join fewer things? Looking at the younger Millennial and older Gen Zs around me, I see plenty of book clubs and recreational sports leagues (and spouses groups) and similar, in addition to the many virtual groups in which they participate. Hell, the workouts de jour seem to be Crossfit and Peloton, both of which have a strong social component.
Indeed there has. You could spend a few bucks and read Jean Twenge’s excellent work “iGen:Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy—and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood—and What That Means for the Rest of Us” or you can just speed read the article linked below and be just as smart! All kidding aside, the book is a summation of several studies that find that “kids these days” have issues like every other generation but their lean toward connectivity is stunting their growth.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Reading the past few pages about fraternities and the like has been interesting. I wonder if a lot of the negative comments about all of it are from people who’ve never participated in any of them?

I say that because I’m a lifetime VFW member and also bowl in a weekly league in town. The VFW is definitely an older demographic but it’s shifting younger, and in my league I’m one of the older guys, at 40, amongst 38 4 person teams.

The biggest problem I see with places like the VFW is the facilities themselves are older and it’s not as attractive as the sports bar in town. I like the VFW because beer is cheap and conversation is good, but they don’t typically have two dozen flat screens and hot bartenders.

You don’t necessarily have to join but if you hear of a steak burn or pancake breakfast at a VFW, Legion, etc, near where you live I encourage you to go. I bet you’ll actually have a better time that you’d expect, and will meet some cool people too.

HuggyU2

None
I drove by the American Legion chapter in Laguna, CA earlier today.

Wow. I wish I had time to stop and go in. This place looks nice!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Why are all the docents at the CAF museum old dudes? Is there a problem with hanging around aircraft in a great environment and educating the public?

It seems like that are designed for guys who have their own airplanes, an extreme passion for aviation, senior airline schedules so they can spend all of their free time hanging around the hangar with their lives revolving around the happenings at the museum.

From someone who went through the application process to be a docent at decently sized museum on the east coast… The actual docent part would have been great however the administration of the museum wasn’t designed for anyone who didn’t treat their volunteer work as a 7 day a week full time job. As soon as I passed my interview and get the job I’m getting no less than 10 emails a day from the museum director who in, typical retired admin O4 fashion, leads by keyboard… every time the man had a thought, or an itinerary change, or some new opportunity, get an email. No distro lists, or text groups for target personnel things applied to. The expectation was that each email would be reviewed and responded to, creating time suck in my day to day routine. It was maddening and drove me to realize there wasn’t enough time in my world to commute to my 11 day off regional airline job, drive three hours a day each round trip to meet the museum expectations of min days/hrs available per month (as well as daily emails) and spend time with family.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently joined a women's philanthropic organization where the average age is probably 75. (My opportunities to be the youngest person in a room are dwindling, so it's nice to be the youngin' in the group.) I joined because I saw the "basic value", but also because the organization is evolving with the times. The group of 50 years ago wouldn't have been a good fit for me. The group of today is, even though there are still some aspects that feel a little antiquated to me. Those don't overshadow the rest of it. They used to be very Christian-focused, but knowing that's not how younger people tend to operate, they've moved away from that. Meetings used to start with a prayer, but now that has become an inspirational reading, which might be from a non-Christian religious book, or even entirely secular sources, for example. They also have side activities like book clubs and wine tastings. The group evolved and that is drawing in some younger (relatively speaking) members. They didn't just say, "take it or leave it, and once you are here maybe you can change it if you want", because they know that's a bad bargain few will take.
I have a sneaking suspicion I know of this organization thanks to my mother and grandmother. :)