• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2010 Board

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I agree, my ASTB score could use some work too. Just seeing a lot of people being selected with lower ASTB and GPAs, just wondering what is in my package that made me a non-select.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the "scores" aspect of you package and not enough on your total package. It might be your motivational statement. Remember this is the only way for the board to hear what you have to offer and why they should select you. LORs maybe another problem. In this economy the boards can be as picky as they want. If you don't have everything they are looking for then why should they accept you? I think individuals getting selected with lower scores reiterate my point here.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I think you are putting too much emphasis on the "scores" aspect of you package and not enough on your total package. It might be your motivational statement. Remember this is the only way for the board to hear what you have to offer and why they should select you. LORs maybe another problem. In this economy the boards can be as picky as they want. If you don't have everything they are looking for then why should they accept you? I think individuals getting selected with lower scores reiterate my point here.

My scores weren't the greatest. . 7/8/8 59, and I have a GPA of 3.0. As two said, it really is the whole person concept. I had some amazing letters of recommendation from some people who knew me very well, and that I've known for the better part of a decade. Being prior service with multiple deployments to Iraq and being a NCO probably didn't hurt either.

If you're happy putting your eggs in the Marine Corps basket, then good for you! Just remember, they are being very selective as well. Work to improve yourself in any way possible.

sdgigles

The silver lining of non-select is that you get another opportunity to express your commitment and "sell yourself" again with the reconsideration letter. I also imagine that applying a second time really illustrates your desire to become a Naval Officer

nativeofsandieg

Yah, when I first started the process, my recruiter didn't even want to compile my package because he said my ASTB was so low. He put so much emphasis on how bad my GPA and ASTB scores were, I figured that was what made the biggest impact on a applicant's package.

MGoBrew11

pilot
@ native,

I doubt the issue is your ASTB. Although I guess the OAR could use improvement, we've all seen much lower line scores get picked up. I'm no expert, but it seems that maybe trying to improve your GPA (if you can) or adding more letters/bolstering your statement might help.

I scored much lower than you on the ASTB (5/5/5 52) and my recruiter insisted that I submit anyways because he thought I still had a pretty good shot. Granted, my GPA is a 3.55, also majoring in History but I tend to think the ASTB is more important.

Hoping to hear back from my NRD tomorrow about my status.

GoVols1998

MPK, if you don't mind me asking, what were the "dings" on your application? Did you have to put in waivers? My board date has already gotten pushed back once because of my own past unsavory activities. I know we are all different people, but your LORs, ASTB, and GPA are all similar to mine, so I would just like to pick someone's brain who has been pro-rec'ed despite their "dings". Thanks.

If you don't feel like answering on here, let me know and I will PM you my email since you can't PM yet.

Brenbuck, good luck to you. Since we are in similar situations as well, I will be pulling for you to hear some good news tomorrow.

bwh06b

FS SNA
So is the pre-OCS PRT still suspended? My OR didn't answer that one when I asked him about scheduling a time to get in for MEPS and knocking that out, as well, so I didn't know what everyone else was hearing at this time.