• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 08 Boards

BullGator

I should be on the January boards. I just re-took the ASTB and scored 5/6/5 49, it's not great but it's better than my first attempt.

I'm a 25 year old female
B.A. Health and Kinesiology 3.2 gpa
M.S. Clinical Exercise Physiology 3.82 gpa
Ran cross country and track in high school and also played soccer.
Aso ran cross country and track and played soccer in college.
First team all conference, second team all conference, academic all conference in cross country in college, as well as team captain.
2006 and 2007 10,000 meter track champion in college
I have a black belt in American Nippon Kenpo, as well as experience in jihatsu-teki-kenpo-jitsu, and Kodokan Judo.
20+hours of community service

I now do triathlons and work at a nursing/rehab facility
Did you submit your package already? When? That's pretty sweet that you know so many martial art types. Good luck.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Did you submit your package already? When? That's pretty sweet that you know so many martial art types. Good luck.

No, I still have a few more things to do before my packet is complete but since the boards are not meeting in Dec. I guess I have a little time. I'll submit in Dec in hopes of being on the Jan boards. Good luck to you too.

Charity

Final Select SNA
One more thing...

I'm having trouble with the motivational statement. What are they looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Lucky for you there's an enormous thread about the subject. Check it out here. My recruiter basically told me to mention topics of leadership, community service, and extracurricular activities. Something that sets you apart from the everyday statement is always good. Good luck!

BullGator

I'm having trouble with the motivational statement. What are they looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
There is a thread titled "Motivational Statement Megathread."
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142053
That has some examples of what people wrote. Remember that the MAJORITY of them are from people that haven't been excepted yet (some were later on), and they are sometimes rough drafts. I suggest submitting a final draft on there if you want to get the best responses (e.g. don't be half-assed and expect them to fill in the blanks).

The statement is about why you want to be an officer, and why you'd be a good one:
1. Be honest
2. It is ok to "brag" here
3. 400 words or less
4. Augment specific examples in when you can.
5. Format (varies ALOT, but this is a rough idea): why you want to seek commissioning as a Naval Officer; What the Navy can do for you; What you can do for the Navy [this is where examples of leadership and other strengths need to be displayed]; Closing paragraph.
--I think there is another Format part besides those three (not including Closing paragraph)... I forgot though: look through the first few pages of that thread, it describes it. My statement was 5 paragraphs (not indented) and about 395 words.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Ok cool, I looked at the tread and got a few ideas. I guess I'm going to have to do some thinking and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help!

BullGator

Ok cool, I looked at the tread and got a few ideas. I guess I'm going to have to do some thinking and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help!
Mine took much longer than expected, with all the proof readings and all, so don't put it off because it sounds like an easy/short essay. It is very important from what I understand.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Mine took much longer than expected, with all the proof readings and all, so don't put it off because it sounds like an easy/short essay. It is very important from what I understand.

Agreed. I sent mine out to friends and family for review once I finished it up. It's nice to get a few extra sets of eyes on it, because what makes sense to you might not to someone else. I think mine was over 400 words, but not by too much. I doubt someone will go in and count them, but don't go overboard. My recruiter said just make sure it fits in the box provided. At 400 words the space was only about half way full from what I remember.

Also, I didn't see if you mentioned your letters of recommendation yet. You should ask for those soon if you haven't already. It would probably be good to get one from a team coach / karate sensei (or whatever they're called :icon_tong). Give them at least a few weeks to put it together.

Unfortunately for me, I gave everyone too long and they just kept putting it off. It kinda pissed me off to hear that they hadn't started within a month after telling them, and then again after I said I need it in 2 weeks, and finally in a few days. A few of them just threw something together in what looked like 15 minutes of rough drafting. I was hoping the LOR's would be a strength in my package, but it turned out to be the worst. So yeah, give them time, but remind them and give them a deadline when you ask so they understand the importance.

If someone asked me to write them a letter recommending them to be an officer in the military I know I would make sure to do my best, for their sake, but I guess not everyone feels the same way.

grant_davis

I had a good bit of trouble with my statement... Lucky for me there are some people on this site with a LOT of good information. (Some even sit on the board)... I had what I thought was a great essay sent it to get looked at by a bunch of different people; they all said it was great EXCEPT the person who mattered. (The one that sits on the board)... I had to re-write the damn thing like 5 time and even after I sent it I am not completely happy with it. (Had to get it in before the deadline).
After talking with a bunch of different people my conclusion is that the essay is a place where you can brag a little but do it in the least noticeable way. The main point of the essay is described on the application… WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A NAVY OFFICER??? If you can explain that in a sincere way while slipping in a few things that set you apart, you are on the right track… Good luck!

To get back to topic.. THE BOARD MEETS IN TWO DAYS!!! Good luck to all.

McBuff

Sees the light
I'll reiterate; the statement took me much longer than I thought. Get cracking on it now so you have plenty of time to rewrite it. At the same time though, try not to get psyched out by all you read on this board. Just answer the question that the application asks and you'll do fine. Good luck and I hope we don't have to compete!

Charity

Final Select SNA
Thanks for all the good advice. It makes me nervous but I think I can do it. I might have a few more questions as I begin writing. Thanks again!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I had a good bit of trouble with my statement... Lucky for me there are some people on this site with a LOT of good information. (Some even sit on the board)... I had what I thought was a great essay sent it to get looked at by a bunch of different people; they all said it was great EXCEPT the person who mattered. (The one that sits on the board)... I had to re-write the damn thing like 5 time and even after I sent it I am not completely happy with it. (Had to get it in before the deadline).
After talking with a bunch of different people my conclusion is that the essay is a place where you can brag a little but do it in the least noticeable way. The main point of the essay is described on the application… WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A NAVY OFFICER??? If you can explain that in a sincere way while slipping in a few things that set you apart, you are on the right track… Good luck!

To get back to topic.. THE BOARD MEETS IN TWO DAYS!!! Good luck to all.

They don't meet on Saturday. You're waiting til Monday! :D

Gills

I have the worst ASTB score ever recorded. Any chance for SWO? my recruiter thinks yes because of my GPA and LORs.

Submitting for: SWO
GPA: 3.78 History Major, Spanish Minor (Oakland University) And studied at Oxford University (England) for one semester.
ASTB: 39
LOR: 2 from professors, 1 from employer, 1 from Rear Admiral in intel.
Extra Curriculars: History Honors society president.

grant_davis

I have the worst ASTB score ever recorded. Any chance for SWO? my recruiter thinks yes because of my GPA and LORs.

Submitting for: SWO
GPA: 3.78 History Major, Spanish Minor (Oakland University) And studied at Oxford University (England) for one semester.
ASTB: 39
LOR: 2 from professors, 1 from employer, 1 from Rear Admiral in intel.
Extra Curriculars: History Honors society president.

Have you used up all of your retakes? If not I would say you just look lazy. If you use the information on this site you can easily raise that score. If you have used all of your attempts than I would say go ahead and apply. Your GPA is definitely strong and there is no point in not trying. I have seen on this site people getting accepted with questionable scores. Best of luck!