• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 08 Boards

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Why would they want to do that? If what you are saying is true they will be forcing themselves to select less qualified candidates to meet the numbers. The high guys with better packages will be waiting in line behind people with crappy ones who happened to apply sooner.

You are not making any sense. They look at the whole package, there are people who get selected with lower gpa's and lower ASTB scores than you and vice versa. Always have and always will, but it does not mean the people selected are more qualified or less qualified.

There are people with 3.8 GPA's and 9/9/9 ASTB's that will get non-selects. There is no way to game the system...just apply as often as you can and see how it plays out.

Goob83

None
50 is an arbitrary number, we don't know the actual numbers and so far I have only heard of NFO applicants getting tabled: that is another reason why yesterday I asked if anyone submitted by October 31st and did not make the November boards.

They are cancelled because of the holidays directly after; as Goob said (an OR) most are cancelled, according to another OR (aemartin on NavyOCS.com): the CEC boards will still meet in December. Aemartin also stated that in order to be seen for the January boards, you must have your package submitted by December 15th.

you are correct. But I know the numbers cause i see the names one buy one. For pilot they are stacking just not as many applicant to stack.

Goob83

None
you are not making any sense. They look at the whole package, there are people who get selected with lower gpa's and lower astb scores than you and vice versa. Always have and always will, but it does not mean the people selected are more qualified or less qualified.

There are people with 3.8 gpa's and 9/9/9 astb's that will get non-selects. There is no way to game the system...just apply as often as you can and see how it plays out.

brilliant!

BullGator

There are people with 3.8 GPA's and 9/9/9 ASTB's that will get non-selects. ...
I see what you are saying from the whole person/package point of view, but I highly doubt that someone with those stats would be turned down, unless you are talking about PAO selections...

You are not making any sense. They look at the whole package, there are people who get selected with lower gpa's and lower ASTB scores than you and vice versa. Always have and always will, but it does not mean the people selected are more qualified or less qualified.

There are people with 3.8 GPA's and 9/9/9 ASTB's that will get non-selects. There is no way to game the system...just apply as often as you can and see how it plays out.

Im not just talking about grades/astb I mean the whole package.

Assume that the quality of packages(overall, whatever that means) stays the same. If they only allow 50 packages instead of say 100 that are in on time, and they pick which packages get to the board on a first come first serve basis then there should be 1/2 as many "quality" packages that get to the board. This will mean that they have to lower their standards to meet quotas.

Does this make sense?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I see what you are saying from the whole person/package point of view, but I highly doubt that someone with those stats would be turned down, unless you are talking about PAO selections...

No, what if the motivational statement is AFU? What if they can't punctuate themselves out of a paper bag? What if they have a felony or did cocaine? What if they had a dui? What if the recruiter put in a word that said "This candidate would not make a good naval officer." ? What if he said in his moto statement that he can't wait to fly jets so he can use that experience to go into the airlines?

The list is endless for someone of those stats to get a non-select.

Goob83

None
Why would they want to do that? If what you are saying is true they will be forcing themselves to select less qualified candidates to meet the numbers. The high guys with better packages will be waiting in line behind people with crappy ones who happened to apply sooner.

SO you have info if only 50 go to board and they select 25 that is 50% rate. I can guarntee you the other 10 of the 25 not select were good on paper but did not measure up to the 25 selected at that board. While we are on that the 25 selected at this board may not have cut the mustard at the previous board for that or the one after. It is timining bad thing is we never no if an applicants timing is right or not.

I will tell you if you think ASTB score is everything I have had folks with 40 5 5 4 get SNA while 74 999 did not make it. Same with SWO 35 taken 66 not taken. ASTB scores are good but are not the only thing that makes an Officer.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Im not just talking about grades/astb I mean the whole package.

Assume that the quality of packages(overall, whatever that means) stays the same. If they only allow 50 packages instead of say 100 that are in on time, and they pick which packages get to the board on a first come first serve basis then there should be 1/2 as many "quality" packages that get to the board. This will mean that they have to lower their standards to meet quotas.

Does this make sense?

You are thinking too much, the board is different all the time, who knows what the selection board is looking for at that time? There are some objective things such as stats, but there is a lot of subjectivity that goes into the selection process too. You can't look at it as some type of math equation. They look at the packages in front of them, and select from those. It's as simple as that. The next month they look at the packages in front of them again...that's how it goes.

If you're that worried, just bust your ass and get it in. The earlier the better.

BullGator

My bad on the ASTB subject. I was just assuming that if someone did that well they would be exremely motivated and interested also. First problem here: assuming. :) It also, as we all pretty much know, has alot to do with timing: the Navy's needs and your competition that month.

Goob83

None
ok I will depress you a lilltle more. I have 10 at the next board and probably 10 in line for JAN. I will bet my life 17 of them will be selected. so your odds just went down.

BullGator

ok I will depress you a lilltle more. I have 10 at the next board and probably 10 in line for JAN. I will bet my life 17 of them will be selected. so your odds just went down.
Could be depressing-type info, unless they aren't applying for SNA?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

LOL. The destroyer of dreams. +1 :D

Some of you guys need to chill out and stop worrying so damn much.

Stop trying to speculate so much and realize that if you get in you get in and if you don't you try again. Now go have a drink.

Goob83

None
LOL. The destroyer of dreams. +1 :D

Some of you guys need to chill out and stop worrying so damn much.

Stop trying to speculate so much and realize that if you get in you get in and if you don't you try again. Now go have a drink.

BEERBEER BEER YES BEER:eek::eek::D:D