• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not a "spouse", but seemed appropriate.

UHundergrad

As pointless as this post may be, I feel it's important to me.
Brett, your talking about my fiancee, my future wife. Please don't judge my relationship that you have little knowledge of. As for "sacking it up", I'm doing more than fine in that aspect of life. Besides, my original question was nothing close to the conversation it is now. "Does the CG offer anything different than other branches of the military?" Answer, no. Thank you, I'll move on with my life. Please don't go out and criticize my commitment to service or my fiancee. Now, flame me away, I've made my peace.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As pointless as this post may be, I feel it's important to me.
Brett, your talking about my fiancee, my future wife. Please don't judge my relationship that you have little knowledge of. As for "sacking it up", I'm doing more than fine in that aspect of life. Besides, my original question was nothing close to the conversation it is now. "Does the CG offer anything different than other branches of the military?" Answer, no. Thank you, I'll move on with my life. Please don't go out and criticize my commitment to service or my fiancee. Now, flame me away, I've made my peace.

Dude,
You brought exactly that up for microscopic examination and comment....so don't knock the remarks.
G

My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much.....Thanks for reading and all replies are appreciated.[except Brett's, edited for clarity by Schnugg]

ELCID05

UHundergrad,

Listen man, I know that sometimes you can ask a question on this forum and you take some heat for it but you need to understand these gentlemen are speaking to you with good intentions and with years of experience.
I am newly married and in flight school. My wife is in law school so we are apart a lot of the time anyway but she lived with me this summer. I can tell you from experience that just because you are in the states that doesn't mean you will see each other and that doesn't end in flight school. Some of the older guys can chime in about what work-ups are like. The point I'm trying to make is that if your fiance is looking for a marriage where you will be home in time for dinner each night then the service is probably not the right path for you. Being away from your family comes with the territory in these jobs regardless of what branch of service you choose. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about being a JO in flight school while married if you want to PM me. Good Luck.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much.

Why tell her? Sometimes the hardest situations can be solved by avoiding them altogether.

For example: It is the night before you leave on a six-month deployment, what do you do? Nothing. If she asks you where you are going say something like " we're out of milk and I'm going to the store." Odds are she won't know that its a lie until you're too far away to get in trouble. :D

Seriously though, she probably is the root of all evil and maybe a deployment could show you that you aren't so " happily engaged." Cheers!

-HD

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Ok, here's the story. I'm currently a Junior at UH in Houston, Texas. I'm happily engaged to my high school sweetheart. However, I'm coming into being selected for my advanced rotc course for my remaining 2 calendar years at this university, and I'm a little worried. I have no real problem with the fact that I probably will get deployed as an army aviator. My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much. So, I've looked into become a Coast Guard aviator, and I'm really intrigued by it. My only question is about married couples in the CG. Do they have any perks like the Army has for married couples? I guess I'm hoping mainland deployment as an option, but I'm probably spitting in one hand and wishing in the other.
Thanks for reading and all replies are appreciated.
Post Script: Sorry for the length.:sleep_125

If you've known this girl since highschool and been in Army ROTC for a while this probably could have been addressed earlier. Given the readily available access to CNN news cycles, It should not come to a surprise to either of you that going military service often means deployment.

You need to do what is best for you. Don't plan your future around a girl who may not be around forever. If your relationship is that strong, support you when you are in the military, and she will be there when you come back from deployment. You sign up for the service as a choice... when you leave on deployment is entirely up to them, and thus is not your choice- rationalize it that way if you have to...

It sounds like you'd be happier working in a cubicle somwhere doing TPS reports. Perhaps some support job (or something like missiler) in the Air Force might be a good choice for someone in your situation. Its you're life- you are the one, and only the one who is going to have to wake up and look yourself in the mirror every morning and live with being the person you see looking back at you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just love it when someone comes on here asking for help, then doesn't like the honest opinions and advice of people 100 times more experienced then they are, then proceeds to complain about said advice and those who took time out of their busy day to render valuable counsel. If you don't want the truth, put your head back in the sand and carry on.

Brett

jfulginiti

pilot
None
UHundergrad,

Dude, you're to young to get married. If you want to be with this chick forever, cool. But wait a few years until after you're on active duty and been deployed. Then make the decision. Hell, have her move in with you for awhile. But don't tie the knot until you're both sure it's what you really want. Trust me, you don't want to find out mid/post-deployment that you're wife is leaving you. In the 3 years I was at my fleet squadron, we had 5 divorces.... and that was just the officers. One of the guys had been married for 10 years and had 3 kids. FYI, my wife is active duty Navy and we spent our fleet tours at different bases and on opposite deployment cycles. I know what it's like.

Fugly

NavyWife2001

I think that most of all you should just sit down and talk with her. I think it is pretty silly to not let her voice her own opinion on the subject. It almost sounds like (let me go out on a limb) that you want all the guts and glory of being a Navy pilot but maybe you don't want to be away from home so using your fiancee' is an excuse. That is not a bad thing, per se. Lots of people are this way. BUT you have to understand, you will be gone more often than being at home when you are in the miltiary no matter the branch. Maybe waiting a few more years to see where life is taking you would be a better indicator of if you should join or not.
Just my own honest opinion.
Good Luck!

PS..........NOONE is every REALLY "old enough" to get married. ;)
AND the divorce rate is high no matter what the spouses job just so happens to be.

UHundergrad

I realize that I am talking to my superiors, and I apologize for my remarks made earlier. I value all of your opinions, even Brett's, who has apparently and been there, done that. Apologies for remarks made to Steve Wilkins, the founder of this site, apologies to Brett, who has been in since 1990, and apologies to Stubby, who has been in since 1988. I realize that you 3 men have a wealth of knowledge to give, and for me to act in any way close to unappreciative is inexcusable coming from a cadet.

-Mason