• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not a "spouse", but seemed appropriate.

UHundergrad

Ok, here's the story. I'm currently a Junior at UH in Houston, Texas. I'm happily engaged to my high school sweetheart. However, I'm coming into being selected for my advanced rotc course for my remaining 2 calendar years at this university, and I'm a little worried. I have no real problem with the fact that I probably will get deployed as an army aviator. My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much. So, I've looked into become a Coast Guard aviator, and I'm really intrigued by it. My only question is about married couples in the CG. Do they have any perks like the Army has for married couples? I guess I'm hoping mainland deployment as an option, but I'm probably spitting in one hand and wishing in the other.
Thanks for reading and all replies are appreciated.

Post Script: Sorry for the length.:sleep_125

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, here's the story. I'm currently a Junior at UH in Houston, Texas. I'm happily enganged to my high school sweetheart. However, I'm coming into being selected for my advanced rotc course for my remeaning 2 calendar years at this university, and I'm a little worried. I have no real problem with the fact that I probably will get deployed as an army aviator. My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much. So, I've looked into become a Coast Guard aviator, and I'm really intrigued by it. My only question is about married couples in the CG. Do they have any perks like the Army has for married couples? I guess I'm hoping mainland deployment as an option, but I'm probably spitting in one hand and wishing in the other.

What perks does the Army offer married couples?

NavyWife2001

If your fiancee' loves you as I am sure she does, she will understand you being away for 6-9 months at a time. TRUST ME...none of the wives want their husbands gone, but I know that is what will make my husband happy. :)
I bet if you talked to her about it, she might just surprise you with her response! :)

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are a few coasties in my advanced class. I'm 90% sure if you go through the Coast Guard you'll have to deploy on a ship before you go through flight school. You should look into the details before you make a big decision.

Also, was your plan from day 1 to go into the military? I mean, is this something new that your fiance was faced with all of a sudden, or did it 'come with the package', so to speak?

Have you talked to her about it much up to this point? Like said in the above post, sometimes you can be surprised with the amount of support your wife/girlfriend will give!

UHundergrad

No, this has been the package since I met her. I know what you are saying about "love triumphs all" and what not. In all reality is just a big decision I'll have to make after alot of talking. About all the other issues, I can find on my own. Google is my friend. Thank you all.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

supplywife

Adyson Elizabeth born 2/25/2007
OK, so here is my 2 cents, from a wife's view...

If you being in the service was a package deal when you guys got engaged, then she is most likely expecting that you will spend some time away. Trust me, none of us "want" our husbands to leave, but that is the career that we chose as a family and I would do anything to support that. I think that is what most wives would say also. So, it is a decision that you two definitely need to talk about and make sure you are on the same page. My husband joined through the Navy BDCP program and spent his first two years of service in finishing college (similar to what you have described) so we had two years to plan and prepare. As for benefit differences between the branches of military, I'm not real sure, but I would imagine them to be all very similar. Good luck!!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marysville, eh? I think someone must be on the Abraham Lincoln out there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, here's the story. I'm currently a Junior at UH in Houston, Texas. I'm happily engaged to my high school sweetheart. However, I'm coming into being selected for my advanced rotc course for my remaining 2 calendar years at this university, and I'm a little worried. I have no real problem with the fact that I probably will get deployed as an army aviator. My problem is with my fiancee. I can't deal with leaving her as a choice. I can't look her in the eye and tell her I'm making a decision that will put me away from her for 9 months or more, and making her worry that much. So, I've looked into become a Coast Guard aviator, and I'm really intrigued by it. My only question is about married couples in the CG. Do they have any perks like the Army has for married couples? I guess I'm hoping mainland deployment as an option, but I'm probably spitting in one hand and wishing in the other.

Sorry for being blunt, but that is my nature. It sounds as though you need to sack up before you join any branch of the service. Come on, dude: "I can't tell my GF because I'm scared, I can't ask my relatives for fear of what they might think or say." Need I go on? Pick a service because that is your dream, and don't compromise on that just because you suspect your chick won't like it. At least discuss the issue with her so you have everything out on the table and you'll know exactly how she feels. You're all up in your head, man. I'm not even going to go down the whole HS sweetheart issue. HS romances belong in HS - not adulthood.

Brett

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I have to agree with Brett here UHundergrad. You should probably re-examine either your career choice or your relationship. I've been in the Navy for 18 years and done 6 deployments.... that's 3 years away from my family (not even taking into account the countless detachments of days to weeks to yes, even months at a time....) The military isn't for everyone, and being a military spouse certainly isn't for everyone. There is no shame in it if it isn't for you, but do yourself and everyone around you a favor; if you do it, do it for the right reasons and do it to the best of your ability.

Incidentally, the Coast Guard does deploy, and does have remote duty stations. Your questions might be better received (and more accurately answered) if rephrased slightly and posed in the USCG forum.