• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Northwest Airlines and Delta Airlines Merger

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Well, after a few years of on and off merger talks between Northwest Airlines and Delta Airlines, it appears that both sides have reached a deal. Delta Airlines will retain the name and has a one year plan for a complete merge. There has not yet been an official announcement, however I have had a reliable "inside source" say that the announcement will be made Friday morning. Also, Continental Airlines and United Airlines have entered merger talks as well.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Could'a, would'a, should'a happened in 1983 .... and would have but for > $1 on the price of a share of stock and which CEO would remain pre-eminent and had the largest penis .....

It would have been the proverbial 800 lb gorilla of the airlines -- foreign or domestic -- for the past 25 years.

Believe it ...

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Could'a, would'a, should'a happened in 1983 .... and would have but for > $1 on the price of a share of stock and which CEO would remain pre-eminent and had the largest penis .....

It would have been the proverbial 800 lb gorilla of the airlines -- foreign or domestic -- for the past 25 years.

Believe it ...

Yeah, well it still will be pretty huge even for todays standards. Which is why I guess United and Continental are starting talks trying to protect their market share.

Nose

pilot
Ironic part of United/Continental is that Northwest will make money off of that too! Still hold the "golden share" of Continental stock.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
From my great unwashed point of view...that's got to be one hell of a challenge to the pilots.

An airline merger seems to me to be like saying...alright...we have this Air Force, and the Navy...you both fly airplanes...why don't you guys just become the same service!:eek:

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
From my great unwashed point of view...that's got to be one hell of a challenge to the pilots.

An airline merger seems to me to be like saying...alright...we have this Air Force, and the Navy...you both fly airplanes...why don't you guys just become the same service!:eek:

I wonder if they are going to keep the Northwest Airbus planes, since Delta doesn't operate them. Northwest just got a bunch of new A-330'S to replace their aging DC-10 fleet. Well, then again, Northwest also has a lot of A-319's and A-320's too. With Northwest's fleet having so many Airbus aircraft, I guess Delta is just going to have to absorb them and suck up the higher costs associated with operating such a diversified fleet. We'll see.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
It's not about whose going to fly what equipment. The problem is, how do you merge seniority lists fairly? There is no way to do it that doesn't fuck someone.

My bigger questions is, if this actually happens, what happens to the retirement of the NWA guys? Delta liquidated their pension, NWA did not. If I were an NWA guy now may be a good time to jump ship with a lump sum retirement check.

Nose

pilot
It's not about whose going to fly what equipment. The problem is, how do you merge seniority lists fairly? There is no way to do it that doesn't fuck someone.

My bigger questions is, if this actually happens, what happens to the retirement of the NWA guys? Delta liquidated their pension, NWA did not. If I were an NWA guy now may be a good time to jump ship with a lump sum retirement check.

NWA doesn't have lump sum option (other than "excess plan" for which only a few qualify).

It will be an interesting marriage. Delta makes more/hour, NWA has better work rules. NWA has pension for senior guys and a targeted "B" plan that favors junior guys who lost everything. Delta just has huge "B" plan to compensate for loss of pension. Both have senior/junior in-fighting. DAL union bubbas more cohesive and more ahead of the game than NWA right now.

Sounds like the opening attitudes between DAL ALPA and NWA ALPA are good. (I'm sure they always are). The fact is, it would be better to merge lists peacefully, then turn attention to getting a fair slice of the $$ that will be divied out to Hedge Funds and Senior Management. Lee Moak (DAL ALPA chairman) is saying all the right stuff wrt "We will get our fair share or you won't have anyone to fly your new airline."

We will see.