• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korea Just Attacked South Korean Island w/ Arty. 4 DEAD. "Vipers" Scrambled

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
With a very young son taking over in the North Korea this is a pretty convenient way for the Kim family to ensure that lil' Kim takes his proper place as the head of the world's most spectacularly retarded country.

Fixed it for you :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fixed it for you :)

north-korea-is-best-korea.jpg

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Yep they sent a 31 man commando team to assassinate Korea's president in 1967 or thereabouts.

Yes, close.

But lets connect the dots.

On January 21, 1968 a 31 member raider team from DPRK was in place and was to execute a plan to assassinate Pres Park in the Blue House ... ROK/USFK discovered and foiled the plot, but running gun battles with cells of the raider group ensued for almost two days. Several other raider teams were in ROK, but after the failure at Blue House it is thought that most of the other teams retreated back across the DMZ

On January 21, 1968, the USS Pueblo was conducting operations about 25 miles off the coast of DPRK, Wonson harbor. Two DPRK sub-chasers closed within 400 yards of Pueblo, exchanged signals, and left.

On January 23, 1968 while attempting the depart the area, 4 sub-chasers, supported by MIG-21's and other craft, surrounded Pueblo, opend fire, kill Seaman Hodges, boarded, captured and took Pueblo to Wonson.

Meanwhile in South Vietnam the Tet Offensive was well underway .........................

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
That timeline makes sense. No wonder so many of those incidents aren't well known. Of course up until the recent sinking and shelling, people don't quite remember the other naval skirmishes the two have had in the last decade

According to the news, looks like SK's defense minister resigned, and the SK and US are going ahead with their plans to continue naval exercises south of the location on Sunday, so it will be interesting to see what NK does this time that we're around

SkywardET

Contrarian
Fastest way to get the US out of Korea is to get rid of the threat that keeps us there. If China really has the long-term in mind, which they are famous for, maybe they will stop being obstinate and clear the way for a non-loony government in NK.
Well the removal of a neighboring hostile force did not secure our withdrawal from Germany. I don't think we'll pull out of South Korea until we can no longer afford to be there.

I do agree that this is probably not the Chinese. The little kiddo that's inheriting his own shitstain country needs to show the world that he's just as insane as his dad.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...But lets connect the dots....
+ whatever ... BZ, MC ... it's nice to see that someone has a grasp (AND MEMORY!!!) on the history of the Korean Peninsula in 'modern times' ... :)

I guess you had to live through it to 'know it' ... ROK in Vietnam, Banner, Blue House, Pueblo, Pueblo again, Hodges, Tet ... and here I though Google would catch most of these well-meaning boys up ... :sleep_125

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... I guess you had to live through it to 'know it' ... ROK in Vietnam, Banner, Blue House, Pueblo, Pueblo again, Hodges, Tet ...

And live through it I did, January 2, 1968 thru about May 1970. Almost daily. Embarassed with some of the things I did. Sad part I did not make a difference when I should have.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I often wonder how differently the world would have turned out if MacArthur was allowed to nuke the little bastards on both sides of the Yalu when he had the chance.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I often wonder how differently the world would have turned out if MacArthur was allowed to nuke the little bastards on both sides of the Yalu when he had the chance.
Yeah, because that's just what we needed; Dresden with nukes. What's a few glowing holes here and there if we win? :rolleyes:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

And get us involved in n all-out shooting war with the PRC and the USSR? Remember, by then the Soviets had set off their first nuke so it may not have been a one way nuke-fest......

Even more recent instances of North Korean attacks include the bombing of a South Korean delegation in Rangoon, Burma in 1983 and the bombing of KAL Flight 858 in 1987. Attempted infiltrations into South Korea and Japan were exposed by the grounding of a submarine in 1996, the entanglement of another in a fishing net in 1998 along with two vessels caught off the Japanese coast in 1999 and another sunk in 2001.

A pretty good list of North Korean 'provocations' up 'til 2003 can be found in this paper.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

Wars always turn out great in the imagined world where they stand there and take a beating. Unfortunately in the real world they get a vote and tend to fight back.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
And get us involved in n all-out shooting war with the PRC and the USSR? Remember, by then the Soviets had set off their first nuke so it may not have been a one way nuke-fest......

Even more recent instances of North Korean attacks include the bombing of a South Korean delegation in Rangoon, Burma in 1983 and the bombing of KAL Flight 858 in 1987. Attempted infiltrations into South Korea and Japan were exposed by the grounding of a submarine in 1996, the entanglement of another in a fishing net in 1998 along with two vessels caught off the Japanese coast in 1999 and another sunk in 2001.

A pretty good list of North Korean 'provocations' up 'til 2003 can be found in this paper.

China and Russia were already well on the course to their split; after Uncle Jo passed on, Kruschev only accelerated the schizm between Asian Commies and the Russkies. Whether the Russians would have come to the rescue of their Chinese friends is up for debate.

After all, allowing the regime to stand vice kicking their teeth in when we had them on the ropes has really worked out well for us in the 60 years since then, right?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
China and Russia were already well on the course to their split; after Uncle Jo passed on, Kruschev only accelerated the schizm between Asian Commies and the Russkies. Whether the Russians would have come to the rescue of their Chinese friends is up for debate.

You need to look at your timeline a little closer, the split didn't happen until 1960 and Stalin didn't die until the close to the end of the war in 1953 so they were still as close as they were going to get, especially after they were still flush from their victory on mainland China the year before. If MacArthur had had his way those bombs would have dropped well before Stalin passed. The 1949 'Joe-1' test and the Berlin blockade still loomed large in the minds of US leadership and dropping nukes might have opened up at least one more front of the war (Taiwan), maybe more.

After all, allowing the regime to stand vice kicking their teeth in when we had them on the ropes has really worked out well for us in the 60 years since then, right?

Had who on the ropes? The North Koreans but certainly not the Chinese, and it was them that MacArthur (and the JCS) wanted to drop the bombs on.