• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korea Just Attacked South Korean Island w/ Arty. 4 DEAD. "Vipers" Scrambled

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you're saying that it's OK to wrap H-bombs with cobalt and irradiate the Chinese side of the Yalu river for decades?

http://hnn.us/articles/9245.html

In interviews published posthumously, MacArthur said he had a plan that would have won the war in 10 days: "I would have dropped 30 or so atomic bombs . . . strung across the neck of Manchuria." Then he would have introduced half a million Chinese Nationalist troops at the Yalu and then "spread behind us -- from the Sea of Japan to the Yellow Sea -- a belt of radioactive cobalt . . . it has an active life of between 60 and 120 years. For at least 60 years there could have been no land invasion of Korea from the North." He was certain that the Russians would have done nothing about this extreme strategy: "My plan was a cinch." (12)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I doubt it; those crossing would just inundate the hospitals with cases of radiation sickness.

I never said you had to treat them. Just put radiation warning signs up in multiple languages. Have a lead lined tunnel that proves to be the only safe way to cross.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Show me a 10 foot fence and I'll show you an 11 foot ladder."

"Show me a radioactive wasteland and I'll show you..." naww, doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway..

@schoolbubba, we'll just have to wonder what might have been but it would've turned out ugly- for any or all of the conjecture in the other responses. For what we did then and how it turned out since, back in 1950 who would have predicted the madness of the Kims, the hermit kingdom, and sixty years of stalemate?

Let's say that a Yalu apocalypse would have ended the war then and there--now compare Japan/two nuclear bombs/international opinion with Korean War/stretching the UN Security Council resolution into nuclear scorched earth--there would've been a lot of "fallout" (no pun intended) among our international friends and allies. Remember, during the Cold War the eastern and western blocs both tried to make friends in proxy wars by insisting that they were the true good guys (and the other side was the bad guys who killed millions of people...). Having used 30+ nukes, our side of the story would have been a tougher sell, even if half of our "friends" back then were in it for the foreign aid and just pretending to like capitalism/freedom/western values.

Then again if we had gone that way sixty years ago, by now we might all be BSing why we hit them so hard and created a wasteland instead of just letting it end in a truce.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
For those interested, Wiki-leak recently leaked documents show some interesting background on this subject. Interesting reading for arm-chair pols.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Nor do I. Nor do I want contents nor even the issue discussed herein. Stupid of me, not sure where my head was at the moment.

I think the issue ought to be discussed, as it's a very important one. So long as we are able to stick to the issue, and not the content. I mean, whistle blowers are afforded protection here in the U.S. Some people see the release of classified information like this as being necessary to live in a free state. (I'm not saying I do. . .just stating an opinion) Though I believe transparency is necessary, I don't believe that much good can come from releasing classified discussions between state department members concerning their private and professional assessments of foreign heads of state. (No, I haven't read the articles, but it's pretty hard to ignore the stories when they're on the front page of most news sources.)

I suppose the question I would pose, to what degree ought our government be transparent? How can we prevent further leaks like this, at least from an individual standpoint, what can we do to make sure that private Jack Mioff, or seaman Joe Snuffy doesn't do something like this again.

Just to add to this. . .from an e-mail I received:
Army Reserve Leadership said:
WIKILEAKS IS NOT AUTHORIZED

As you may have seen on the news recently, a new cache of classified
documents has been released on the WikiLeaks website.

As a security reminder to all Soldiers, individuals should not access the
WikiLeaks web site to view, download, or print any information which is
potentially classified. All personnel are reminded that the accessing of
classified information on an unclassified network, either on government or
privately owned computers, could constitute a security violation or place
our national security at risk.

In accordance with Executive Order 13526, classified information shall not
be declassified automatically as a result of any unauthorized disclosure
and will remain classified until it is formally declassified by an
appropriate authority. Therefore, information on the internet which is or
appears to be classified should be handled as such until it is properly
declassified. The unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized retention, or
negligent handling of classified information may result in termination of
security clearance, termination of employment, or prosecution.

Finally, personnel are reminded that the following of proper security
procedures is an individual responsibility, and is not to be taken lightly.