• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS No transgender personnel will serve . . .

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
This was already illegal. The only people authorized to transition under the old policy were people who weren't diagnosed before they joined. Everyone else had to have done so and been stable before they joined.

So you're saying that you think people wouldn't hide the fact that they wanted a sex change until after they were in, so the government would pay for it? Are you high right now?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So you're saying that you think people wouldn't hide the fact that they wanted a sex change until after they were in, so the government would pay for it? Are you high right now?

How many people that work for you do this? Are you really so cynical that you think the only reason people join the military is because they can try to scam the system for their benefit? Do you realize how stupid that argument sounds? Do you really think people will put up with boot camp, training, and the fleet with constant deployments and crummy moral and a military in which most people will discriminate against them and bully them constantly just in hopes that they may have an opportunity to qualify for this surgery?

Are you high right now?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
How many people that work for you do this? Are you really so cynical that you think the only reason people join the military is because they can try to scam the system for their benefit? Do you realize how stupid that argument sounds? Do you really think people will put up with boot camp, training, and the fleet with constant deployments and crummy moral and a military in which most people will discriminate against them and bully them constantly just in hopes that they may have an opportunity to qualify for this surgery?

Are you high right now?
Yes. And no.

But you're right. Boot camp was sooooo hard. Gender reassignment can cost anywhere from 25k-50k for the surgery and that doesn't include hormone therapy. If I wanted a sex change and couldn't afford it, a 4 year enlistment would definitely be a possibility. People do it for college knowing they're getting out after 4 years, why is this any different? Not to mention, there will be a big chunk of time that they are not deployable.

Last edited:

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If I wanted a sex change and couldn't afford it, a 4 year enlistment would definitely be a possibility. People do it for college knowing they're getting out after 4 years, why is this any different?
Good question?

Silly hypotheticals aside, call me naive, but I believe the number of people who would decide to join the military for the express purpose of getting surgery is so small as to be negligible. Plenty of valid criticism of the policy (policies) to go around, but I have difficult time with this one.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Either way, I think letting such a fringe statistical anomaly drive so much dialogue away from the mission and material failures caused by sequestration is just nuts.

Or really good politics, I guess it depends on your motivation and point of view.

exNavyOffRec

This is not the case. Some are allowed; some aren't. Not a doc; don't know the details. If they are allowed, they'll send you to medical to pick up a whopping big supply of whatever you need and bring it with you all at once.

Doesn't always work out that way, not sure what one of the sailors in my department was on but something happened to the meds that they brought on for deployment, medical had to jump through hoops to get some FEDEX'd out, there was discussion if the couldn't get the meds in time to just send the sailor off the ship.

"We" is a broad term. Prob just a personal pet peeve of mine - I get it. But I also abhor hearing junior personnel referred to as "kids."

Birth control? Blood pressure? All prescriptions...?

not a doc, but some meds people can't go without, such as BC meds I hope no one would be having serious medical issues without them (just don't get pregnant), but some yes, we lost sailors due to gluten allergies.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
people join the military is because they can try to scam the system for their benefit?

Just think about that for second. Afterwards go talk to an enlisted recruiter about fraudulent enlistments. People hide medical issues in order to get medical costs covered. Is it often? No, and MEPs catches *most* of this stuff, but basic training and boot camp ain't that hard (they suck, don't get me wrong) and neither are most secondary schools. So yeah, I do think we have people who join to scam the military. Transgender medical costs while rare would be no different - and even harder to catch before joining.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If a person, (long term) can't serve in his or her unit because of a medical issue, then admin separate them or medically separate them if the condition was caused by the military. This social experiment the military has become only does one thing. It detracts from our mission; Killing bad guys and blowing up their shit or deterring bad guys from doing stupid shit. We have lost our collective focus with all of the feel good or excessive admin "trainings" that have been shoved down our throats. Our military has lost its way because senior leaders were to worried about keeping their jobs more so than doing or saying what was right for the combat effectiveness of the military. I've watched the military devolve since I joined in 1988. It started slowly after the "hook" incident and the political correctness agenda has only picked up steam since then and turned into a runaway locomotive the last few years.

I agree 100% with SecDef. I could care less what two consensual adults do in the bedroom. However, if it affects their ability to do their job, then it's time to go.

So, those of you that say doing an abrupt 180 is a bad thing, I disagree. Sometimes it's just what may be needed. If you are bullseye nose low at 3000' and 400 knots, it time to press the paddle switch and pull for all she's got. Or, you can ride her into the ground because your afraid to make a drastic change.

Sonog

pilot
What about the Kristin Beck's of the service? Is this new 'policy' such that if Kristin was still serving right now (prior to any sort of actual hormone or surgery she may or may not have received after she came out), and she was like "yo dudes I've been struggling my entire life with the fact that I want to be a woman" while she was still an active SEAL, do they tell her to shut up or get out? Or is it just "that's fine, but understand that the DoD will not support any gender reassignment training and you still have to use the male head"?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
What about the Kristin Beck's of the service? Is this new 'policy' such that if Kristin was still serving right now (prior to any sort of actual hormone or surgery she may or may not have received after she came out), and she was like "yo dudes I've been struggling my entire life with the fact that I want to be a woman" while she was still an active SEAL, do they tell her to shut up or get out? Or is it just "that's fine, but understand that the DoD will not support any gender reassignment training and you still have to use the male head"

Probably gets diagnosed while on active duty with Gender Dysphoria, gets med-boarded out, the VA service-connects the condition and treatment may be covered by the VA.

Similar to other conditions that manifest or are exacerbated by time spent in the military that render a member NPQ.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe that for a second. All these articles I've read have criticized the move because transgender surgeries are such a small cost to the government comparatively. No way that threatened funding for the wall.

Whether you believe it or not adding specific amendments, often ones that have nothing to do with the bill in question, is common practice in Congress and has stymied bills before even if the amendment is minor and the bill is huge.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"A civil right that, once given, would be difficult to take away." Epic civics FAIL. Governments don't grant or revoke rights. Rights are granted by God, or by existing as a human being if you don't believe in Him. Emphasis obviously mine:
Thomas Jefferson said:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness; that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.