• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS No transgender personnel will serve . . .

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How many AW members here have had to deal with this? Mando training suggested the numbers were very small, curious if that's been the case.

Say what you will of the policy, there's a few things here that are amusing, and at this point typical:

DoD referring all press questions to WH.

Things going poorly for WH on several fronts, let's throw red meat to the base.

His use of the term "my generals" is bothersome, maybe it's me though.

If "tremendous medical costs" are the reason, how far of a reach is it to claim women, the wounded, and your EFM kid cost too much? All dwarf the RAND estimate for trans medical costs.

If you don't like it/don't get it, I totally understand that - but you (royal you) ought to just say that.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

How many AW members here have had to deal with this? Mando training suggested the numbers were very small, curious if that's been the case.

Say what you will of the policy, there's a few things here that are amusing, and at this point typical:

DoD referring all press questions to WH.

Things going poorly for WH on several fronts, let's throw red meat to the base.

His use of the term "my generals" is bothersome, maybe it's me though.

If "tremendous medical costs" are the reason, how far of a reach is it to claim women, the wounded, and your EFM kid cost too much? All dwarf the RAND estimate for trans medical costs.

If you don't like it/don't get it, I totally understand that - but you (royal you) ought to just say that.

It used to be that in order to be worldwide deploy-able that you had to be able to get by without any prescription medications you were on, my understanding is that a person who does the surgery needs to be on medications constantly, if that is the case then that right there should halt this.

hscs

pilot
Fortune article from 2015 quoted a study that estimated ~$6.5M or ~$30k per person spread out over a few years. That study was also modeled after Australia's MOD's costs.

Cost doesn't seem large when you consider some other long term medical costs that we don't bat an eye at (e.g. Type 1 diabetes EFM kid).

What hasn't been mentioned: what is the deployable status of that individual as they undergo treatment? I don't know. If the member is non-deployable during treatment, then that could have been the nail in the coffin.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It used to be that in order to be worldwide deploy-able that you had to be able to get by without any prescription medications you were on
This is not the case. Some are allowed; some aren't. Not a doc; don't know the details. If they are allowed, they'll send you to medical to pick up a whopping big supply of whatever you need and bring it with you all at once.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I dunno... we use phrases like, "My chief/my first class/my _____" and "take care of your people" all the time.
"We" is a broad term. Prob just a personal pet peeve of mine - I get it. But I also abhor hearing junior personnel referred to as "kids."

It used to be that in order to be worldwide deploy-able that you had to be able to get by without any prescription medications you were on.
Birth control? Blood pressure? All prescriptions...?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have no issues with a transgender folks serving, it is the associated medical costs for actually transitioning that gives me pause and a little heartburn even if they are minor in the grand scheme of things.
Exactly. If they are born wanting to change sex, then it is a preexisting medical condition. We make everyone else with preexisting conditions fix them at their own expense prior to joining.

Do it on your own dime then join once you show your condition is "fixed" and stable.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What Hal is saying makes a lot of sense. There are many weird medical conditions out there. Want equality? Knock off the political B.S. and treat potential cases like every other medical condition- professionally and thoroughly (as I'm sure the majority of doctors do). Transgenderism isn't anything new, it was just the latest social justice crusade foisted by an administration which was obsessed with them.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I'm glad to see it gone. The transgender GMT was an administrative nightmare that was going to be yet another annual requirement. It was only a matter of time before people started joining the mlitary just to get their surgeries paid for.

P3 F0

None
What Hal is saying makes a lot of sense. There are many weird medical conditions out there. Want equality? Knock off the political B.S. and treat potential cases like every other medical condition- professionally and thoroughly (as I'm sure the majority of doctors do). Transgenderism isn't anything new, it was just the latest social justice crusade foisted by an administration which was obsessed with them.
And the beauty of it is that you can't whine and pull out the "anti" or "phobia" card. Although this line of reasoning may change if (completed) transgender require long-term hormone therapy. That may take them out of the running. Not sure if the current Manmed says anything about pre-existing conditions requiring hormone therapy.