• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS No transgender personnel will serve . . .

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It sounds like regardless of what this study shows or doesn't show, the decision has been made.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It sounds like regardless of what this study shows or doesn't show, the decision has been made.

The problem is, what was the decision? Do folks transgender folks who are openly serving right now get kicked out? What if folks come out like that in the future, are they not allowed to serve? The tweet from the President doesn't make it clear what the policy is and that is what Senator McCain is talking about, the devil is in the details and that is why there is a 'regular' process for this sort of thing.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
The problem is, what was the decision? Do folks transgender folks who are openly serving right now get kicked out? What if folks come out like that in the future, are they not allowed to serve? The tweet from the President doesn't make it clear what the policy is and that is what Senator McCain is talking about, the devil is in the details and that is why there is a 'regular' process for this sort of thing.

We won't know the details until a detailed report is released through the media or a NAVADMIN hits the streets, whichever is first. What we do know, is that the military just made a 180 from what it started last year.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
The result: The military just made a 180 from what it started last year. Lol

My understanding is the DoD keeps referring the media to the White House for comment.

Edit: Not arguing semantics, just observing that initially it appeared the DoD was a bit caught off guard.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
My understanding is the DoD keeps referring the media to the White House for comment.

Edit: Not arguing semantics, just observing that initially it appeared the DoD was a bit caught off guard.

That would be consistent with SECDEF Mad Dogs take on the issue. That's not his concern. :D

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
What we do know, is that the military just made a 180 from what it started last year.
We also know, or should know, that abrupt 180s are a pretty bad way to lead/run large organizations. Kinda like getting behind the jet and needing to make a massive correction to address an issue. Better to make lots of small corrections along the way that are based on objective facts and a continuous loop of inputs.

Separately, this is amusing and could serve as some context: http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2...etirees-erections-than-on-transgender-troops/

Make no mistake, I'm not a champion of the policy we were operating under; I'm not a transgender apologist. I'm just intrigued by the timing, motivation, and method of this policy change.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
We also know, or should know, that abrupt 180s are a pretty bad way to lead/run large organizations. Kinda like getting behind the jet and needing to make a massive correction to address an issue. Better to make lots of small corrections along the way that are based on objective facts and a continuous loop of inputs.

Separately, this is amusing and could serve as some context: http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2...etirees-erections-than-on-transgender-troops/

Make no mistake, I'm not a champion of the policy we were operating under; I'm not a transgender apologist. I'm just intrigued by the timing, motivation, and method of this policy change.

A couple things: when this policy change took effect last year and we all sat through excruciatingly painful "Transgender Sensitivity" training, THAT was an abrupt 180 from what we were accustomed to. So this policy change is no different, except that it came via a tweet lol. Next. You are comparing costs, but those figures are a poor representation of what they may become in the future. There was hardly any time for service members to begin the process. Pretty soon you'll have people enlisting just to have he surgery then being admin sep'ed for mental issues shortly there after because all they wanted in for anyway was the surgery bills paid. People will no longer be enlisting for college they'll be enlisting for sex changes. Costs aside, the military won't even get anything out of them in most cases I'd be willing to bet. Between the time it takes for their surgeries, recoveries, and non-deployable time their enlistment will just about be up don't ya think? Lastly, you admit to not being a fan of the current policy and you aren't a fan of repealing it? So wtf are you a fan of?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Effective and consistent leadership, regardless of the issue at hand.

Your reply is one big example of whataboutism. It wasn't a good way to make change before AND it's not a good way make change now.
I was just pointing out that as far as implementation is concerned, it's not going to be any different than the last administration's in case you had forgotten. I'm not really sure how you would implement it any other way, it's either policy or it's not.

Consistent leadership? Did you expect President Trump to be consistent with the last administration's policies?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty soon you'll have people enlisting just to have he surgery then being admin sep'ed for mental issues shortly there after because all they wanted in for anyway was the surgery bills paid. People will no longer be enlisting for college they'll be enlisting for sex changes. Costs aside, the military won't even get anything out of them in most cases I'd be willing to bet. Between the time it takes for their surgeries, recoveries, and non-deployable time their enlistment will just about be up don't ya think?
This was already illegal. The only people authorized to transition under the old policy were people who weren't diagnosed before they joined. Everyone else had to have done so and been stable before they joined.

strawman.jpg