• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more 'Ouija' Board

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth, I spent a VERY little time on CVN-71 this summer (in port in Norfolk) and those guys said they would not be transitioning, and even if they had to, they'd be continuing the use of the "Ouija" Board.

darrylcn

I saw a carrier show years ago where a guy said something like "they tried to computerize this once but it was too slow/awkward." I wonder what they've changed this time around if they're trying another crack at it.

I always wanted one of the F-14 pieces, or any other a/c I guess, but haven't ever seen them around anywhere to buy. Would make for another conversation piece my friends/wife would roll their eyes about when I got explaining it.

Flugelman

Contributor
Well, that's a good idea, because computers don't fail.... do they??? :confused:

Wonder what will be used as a backup? I was never aboard the big grey things, but I can imagine the chaos resulting from this type of casualty during a recovery/re-spot. :eek:

Bolter

pilot
I have a feeling that some fairly intelligent men and women thought about a redundancy/ backup plan for a computerized system. Considering the fact that almost all of our aircraft (hell, the entire battlefield for that matter) are reliant on computers, I'd say that replacing the ouija boards is a safe bet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have a feeling that some fairly intelligent men and women thought about a redundancy/ backup plan for a computerized system. Considering the fact that almost all of our aircraft (hell, the entire battlefield for that matter) are reliant on computers, I'd say that replacing the ouija boards is a safe bet.

You have a "feeling" ... ???

Bullshit.

Ever spent any time in flight deck control ... ??? If you had, you wouldn't have said this ... :)

Flugelman

Contributor

Hence, my question "Wonder what will be used as a backup?" :icon_tong

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Come on! Computers on the ship work flawlessly!

We only buy the best high tech equipment, train our operators to world class standards, and invest in long term maintenance and support for our systems.

Where have you been?

This will be the best idea since NMCI!!

sarcasm_meter.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Come on! Computers on the ship work flawlessly!

We only buy the best high tech equipment, train our operators to world class standards, and invest in long term maintenance and support for our systems.

Where have you been?

This will be the best idea since NMCI!!

Yes, Yes, I know...:D

Do you remember when the whole East Coast phone systems were shut down? That was a result of a 2 line code change in some switch software. The QA folks didn't think it was significant enough to do regression testing on. I spent my post Naval career time making some good scratch finding and fixing those kind of problems.

(And I do appreciate the tongue-in-cheekiness of your post):)

Bolter

pilot
I sense a tad-bit of sarcasm :icon_tong
And yes, NCMI is possibly the worst thing to happen to our network. I am not a huge fan of the "compuerization" of our military, but the change is going to continue as long as there is a geek in DC writing code that will get him a fit-rep bullet and maybe even a Navy Commendation Medal for his efforts. Shit, now I have to digitally sign for a jet, fly for an hour or so, and then spend an equal amount of time doing post-flight computer BS for every different department. I miss NALCOMIS :(

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I sense a tad-bit of sarcasm :icon_tong
And yes, NCMI is possibly the worst thing to happen to our network. I am not a huge fan of the "compuerization" of our military, but the change is going to continue as long as there is a geek in DC writing code that will get him a fit-rep bullet and maybe even a Navy Commendation Medal for his efforts. Shit, now I have to digitally sign for a jet, fly for an hour or so, and then spend an equal amount of time doing post-flight computer BS for every different department. I miss NALCOMIS :(

Where did your NALCOMIS go? We have still have NALCOMIS/OOMA. Of course, then you have to go do the SHARP entry, etc...

Bolter

pilot
NALCOMIS has been replaced my MSHARP and OOMA. Funny thing is, as I was signing for a jet the other day, I overheard the lance corporal underground talking about changes that are already coming down the pipe for our new systems. I really don't mind MSHARP, mainly since I will have an online version of my logbook available. OOMA, however, is a huge pain in the ass.