• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"No Chance, Paddles!"....EA-6B lands on S-3B

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Nimitz '78 with CAG 8 routinely sent an A-7 down first as the deck was almost always foul for the first one, and sometimes even the second.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my day, when A-7s started going away...the Tomcat was the sacrificial lamb. I always kept the fuel ladder padded just a bit for the wife and kids...sucked being first down and always waved off and sent to the back of the bus behind 12 other aircraft.

But in time it was almost expected and the handler planned for the first tomcat down the chute to land last in his deck parking plan.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I would not allow ANY laughin' and scratchin' from the peanut gallery while I was running the platform.

And this (IMHO) was the difference between your clear record and their not so clear... The were having a good time and joking and etc... NOT REMOTELY PROFESSIONAL and (again IMHO) that is why 4 people are dead! And what I mean by believe [in that LSO shit] is that some believe it happens like it says in the books but that is not always the case...

I had just Hot-Switch out prior to that and after leaving FDC went down and YES, saw it on the PLAT.. That could have been ME in the LA so this was a very personal event.. It is not like other things (mostly minor) have occurred for tower, etc of which I never saw the individuals responsible.. This was DAY 1 of cruise and 2 of the jack-asses on the platform were in my 8 man! :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I had just Hot-Switch out prior to that and after leaving FDC went down and YES, .. That could have been ME...
I understand. I've felt that way before, too. But you still sound bitter -- and that's not good.

Just don't throw all the LSOs overboard because of a few fools. LSOs (the good ones) will save your life.

Believe it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Not to rehash old dirt and bitter feelings but one of those Jack-asses on the platform that night just screened for Operational Command ahead of his year group by a year... The Navy... Don't hate the game; hate the player... In this situation, is it safe to hate both?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
This is a really interesting thread and a good read, sure makes you realize the other aspects of tailhook aviation. I don't know anything about the incident in question except from what I read here, but I'm curious about something. Are the pilots still allowed to wave off on their own and could they have seen the other aircraft on the deck, or was the weather/speed/distance too much?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not to rehash old dirt and bitter feelings but one of those Jack-asses on the platform that night just screened for Operational Command ahead of his year group by a year... The Navy... Don't hate the game; hate the player... In this situation, is it safe to hate both?
In sooooo-o-o-o many ways, but especially here -- it's ALWAYS been who you know and/or who you blow ... at least there is some constant. I see nothing has changed. :)

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
God damnit, I was following this thread. Then I go out to the bars, well bar (it's Kingsville) and by the time I get back the Mods have already used their mod fu to hide whatever incredibly inappropriate (and thereby entertaining) comment that was made. I always miss the good stuff. Oh well.

MasterBates

There are 3 bars here!

O-club (Which Niptastic Voyage was rockin til 2300)
Spur (closes at 2359)
Luau (closes at 0200, smells bad forever)