• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night Vision Pen

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
More importantly, I lose shit like it's my job (isn't everyone glad I have access to classified material?) so how expensive is this pen seeing as how I'll go through many of them.

Leave it tied to your kneeboard and you should be fine. Unless you have a habit of losing your kneeboard and helmet bag.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Not to degrade the great engineering and idea of the NVG pen light, but 1,200 combat hrs flying national mission helicopters, and I haven't found a better writing utensil than my Skilcraft mechanical pencil. There always seems to be more than adequate ambient light from the MFDs in the cockpit to write with. My guess is if you're close enough to the enemy to be worried about light emitting from your pen or lip light, you're most likely shouldn't have your head inside the cockpit writing.

On that note, we don't even have lip lights in the cockpit. The guys in back have a valid use for them because they always have both hands busy on a gun, etc. A lip light emitting at the wrong time is a great way to get small arms in your face.

On a gear note, we all wear Petzel lights around our necks, and I keep a Phantom Light (white light, but NVG compatible) on a laynard on my vest. If I'm not at the controls, I use the Phantom light to read the map/products and as a back up light if I find myself on the ground. If you find yourself on the ground you'll immediately wish you had 2 things: more lights and more water. (The use of a lip light in the cockpit and finding yourself on the ground are a related experience.)

By the way, I use the Soft 9G kneeboard as well. I have page protectors with rings on the top for daily mission products, and another set of rings on the side for common products (freq cards, FOB diagrams, etc)

MR-

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My guess is if you're close enough to the enemy to be worried about light emitting from your pen or lip light, you're most likely shouldn't have your head inside the cockpit writing.......................

If you find yourself on the ground you'll immediately wish you had 2 things: more lights and more water. (The use of a lip light in the cockpit and finding yourself on the ground are a related experience.)
MR-

So the takeaway is not to use a liplight in the objective area, not "don't use one at all."

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
So the takeaway is not to use a liplight in the objective area, not "don't use one at all."

We just don't use lip lights in the front, first because there's no reason to flood the cockpit with light, and because an inadvertent activation caused some severe consequences some years ago. Our back end guys need them because they usually have to flood a small area when they're clearing or loading the guns, working on the maintenance or hoist panels and have to have both hands free. We do however, use the hell out of finger lights, most guys have at least one on each hand. Primarily because you can direct the light (keep the beam narrow) and it's usually below the panel. I wear one on the index finger and thumb of each hand.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
A lot depends on what aircraft and missions you fly. I was never a fan of fingerlights and always heard people complain about them. Many of my friends flying helos felt the same and didn't like lip lights much either. Those were part of the reasons why I created the Night Vision Pen

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I'm not a fan of the lip light. It seems that it only shines where I can't use it when I had the NVDs on. I definitely liked a blue light that was on my vest upside down, the sidewinder it think?

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
A few questions have come in via the Night Vision Pen website. One question was asking about the dimensions of the pen. The pen is six inches long, 0.5 inches wide and weighs 1.8 ounces.

Another question was about the brightness and asked if it would interfere with other members of the cockpit crew. The question also asked if it was deemed too bright, could one of the LEDs be removed or lower voltage batteries be used.

The Night Vision Pen was designed to be similar in brightness to a fingerlight, but have a broader beam pattern to make it easier to use while writing. It is not pumping out the lumens so it will not negatively impact other crew members. Several pens are being used in multi-crew aircraft such as H-60s and EA-6Bs, where side-by-side seating would be more sensitive to distractions by the other crew member, with only positive feedback on the use of the pen. The only batteries that will fit the Night Vision Pen are all 1.5V to our knowledge so it is unlikely that a lower voltage battery can be used instead. The user removal of one LED is doable, but not recommended. There is no empty space inside the pen and the parts are made to tight tolerances to enhance durability. Disassembling a Night Vision Pen to remove an LED might cause some damage and it would void the warranty under "intentional damage" as indicated on our website. The two LEDs are there to ensure proper brightness, provide redundancy, and prevent any shadow effect from the ink tip for up close items.

If you find that it is too bright there is the 30 day money back guarantee. If you simply must have only one LED, please contact us for a return and we will remove one LED for you so that your pen is still under warranty.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Night Vision Pen New Lower Price!

I have been able to make changes to my supply chain which allow me to offer the Night Vision Pen at a new lower price. The new price is now $85 and has been reflected on the website. Night Vision Pen is committed to providing a quality product and customer service. As such, anyone who has already purchased a Night Vision Pen will be receiving a $25 refund.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I have been able to make changes to my supply chain which allow me to offer the Night Vision Pen at a new lower price. The new price is now $85 and has been reflected on the website. Night Vision Pen is committed to providing a quality product and customer service. As such, anyone who has already purchased a Night Vision Pen will be receiving a $25 refund.

That is some impressive customer service right there.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
That is some impressive customer service right there.

I know how upset I would be if an expensive product I bought went on sale shortly after my purchase. I had been working on this streamlined supply chain before launch, but it wasn't working well so I had to go with the more expensive route in order to launch the product. My hope is that the quality product and my commitment to customer service, coupled with the new lower price, will encourage more people to try it out. So far everyone who has purchased one loves it. Here is more feedback that I just received yesterday from Adam, an F/A-18 pilot currently on deployment:

"I've only flown at night 5 times out here, but I really like it. I've gotten
used to the size of it (that's what she said), and the light works well.
I don't have to bring a finger light anymore."

If you are looking for a true NVD compatible light that is superior in quality, construction, and use to a fingerlight then the Night Vision Pen is for you. You can't lose by giving it a try.

phrogpilot73

Fuck it, I pulled the trigger... I've only experienced ONE live fire at G-10 in Camp Lejeune when Sharpies/Space Pens/Grease Pencils failed us. We were fully Gortex'd up, inside a tent - and still soaked to the bone. Increments got wet pretty bad - so there were a LOT of short rounds. I'll give this thing a try, because I envision it being able to keep up day & night. If it's good, I might get one to add to my kneeboard.

Am I the first one from AW to order one? If so - I'm willing to do the full nerdism on it (unboxing, review, etc) here on AW.

Oh, and if if sucks - I'll kick you in the nuts at the next class reunion. If it's good - and I'm helping your bottom line, if our dream comes true and we start a brew pub - you better come eat your ass off, and tip well!! :D

If you are looking for a true NVD compatible light that is superior in quality, construction, and use to a fingerlight then the Night Vision Pen is for you.
Just caught this - is it NVD compatible, or NVD friendly?

D

Deleted member 24525

Whoops, Wrong thread...when you said "Night Vision pen" I thought you meant Steely Dan...and not the band

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Am I the first one from AW to order one? If so - I'm willing to do the full nerdism on it (unboxing, review, etc) here on AW.

No, you aren't, but feel free to do the full nerdism. I don't waste money on fancy packaging that would just get thrown in the trash though.

Oh, and if if sucks - I'll kick you in the nuts at the next class reunion. If it's good - and I'm helping your bottom line, if our dream comes true and we start a brew pub - you better come eat your ass off, and tip well!! :D

I'm cool with that. :eek:

Just caught this - is it NVD compatible, or NVD friendly?

I guess it depends on your definition. It works with NVDs just like a fingerlight. When looking under your goggles to write on your kneeboard you will have no blooming within the goggle field of view. Similarly if your co-pilot were using one and you were to look in his direction, there would be no blooming in your field of view. You can point it right at your eyes through the goggles and it doesn't wash out your vision, but you can see that the light is on. Let me know if that answers your question or not.

phrogpilot73

So I get home from work today, check the mail and there it was. The Night Vision Pen.

I don't waste money on fancy packaging that would just get thrown in the trash though.

He's NOT kidding.

IMGP0842.jpg

First impression? I understand the logic, and the economic concerns - especially with a start up. However, as consumers we're conditioned to expect nice things to come in nice packages. I would suggest that as you grow as a company to reconsider the packaging. Had I just signed an ECR card to pick this up from supply, then this packaging would not be surprising. After paying $85, I was expecting just a little more.

That little bit more would include some instructions. While it's fairly easy to figure out how to open it to put the batteries in, it took me a second or two to figure out that there was a small plastic rod underneath the batteries that had to be removed, and then you can remove the ink cartridge. I like the design (only one opening for the pen), but a small business card set of instructions that say "hey, dumbass - this is how you put the batteries in, and this is how you replace the cartridge" would be nice.

No way I would ever buy that bulky thing.
It's actually a lot less bulky than I thought. It feels about the same (in bulk and in weight) as the laser pointer that I bought as a 2P for briefs (that I still have almost 10 years later). Only better construction. Here it is in my hands:

IMGP0844.jpg

"Well that's a crappy design" my 100 knot brain thought as I held it. The pen clip is in a weird place and won't feel comfortable. Oh, wait a minute - instead of pushing the button with my index finger, I can push it with my thumb. And if I do that, my index finger sits in a more natural position:

IMGP0851.jpg

Sweet.

Lefties, you're screwed - you'll have to use your index finger:

IMGP0845.jpg

The ones who already have the Breitling watch.
Yup, that last picture was for you. And so is this one. I'm THAT guy...

IMGP0846.jpg

So as I pressed the button (in a fully lit room), I was thinking - not to bright. I shined it directly in my eye unaided - and the little diffuser tip made it seem not very bright. Impressive. So, it must suck at night... So, into the guest bathroom (that has no windows) I go.

As you can see, it's definitely bright enough to see what you're writing - as you can clearly pick out (ok, not so clear - but I had to turn the flash off and didn't have a tripod) the USPS logo:

IMGP0848.jpg

Can I replace the chemlight I use to do startup and shutdown checklists? To check gauges when the peanut lights go out? I think so:

IMGP0849.jpg

I can't stop looking at that pen for use in the field, on the hill overlooking G-10 during a TACP shoot. It would be perfect.
In about 3 weeks, I'll be down at Camp Lejeune - and I intend to bring the pen with me. I'll give some more feedback after I get back. But as I see it now, I think it will fit the bill.

So far, I'm impressed. I went to a Mont Blanc shop in Dubai, and this pen feels as well constructed as some of those pens. Only cheaper. And more rugged. Oh, and the ASA pen? I used to own one (way back), and they're not that good...

Here's some more detailed up close photos:

IMGP0852.jpg

IMGP0856.jpg

IMGP0854.jpg