• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night Vision Pen

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Brett327 the diameter is .58", but I think I have you covered. The clip on the Night Vision Pen is pretty big so it slides right onto the hump on a 9G kneeboard. These pictures aren't as good as the photos on my website, but they get the point across. I prefer putting it in the side pocket, but here are some options for keeping the pen at the ready:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
^ that the super 9g or something? My 9g only has some loops on the side with a pocket along the leg where I keep my pen. Ever put anything in that small pocket? Seems like anything that would go in there would be a fod hazard more than anything else.

phrogpilot73

^ that the super 9g or something? My 9g only has some loops on the side with a pocket along the leg where I keep my pen. Ever put anything in that small pocket? Seems like anything that would go in there would be a fod hazard more than anything else.
That's a Soft-G kneeboard. It's what I fly with. I have never used the pocket before, but the nice thing is that you can swap the rings from one side to the other. The rings also velcro down, so you can have a checklist for your bad-ass MH-60S on one set of rings, and a checklist for the totally sweet 172 you're going to fly on the weekends, and use the same kneeboard. Plus, the pens are vertical rather than horizontal. I think it's a better kneeboard...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Thanks phrogpilot73, yes it is the soft-G. Once upon a day when I used a pencil on my kneeboard I kelt an eraser in there. Now it is empty. The soft-G is similar to the 9-G, but I like it better for the same reasons phrogpilot73 mentioned.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@ NightVision, looking at that kneeboard organization, you wouldn't happen to have been a Meridian guy in your past life? There was one crusty old sim IP who was very adamant about using that layout. Has always worked well for me since then BTW

Sorry, but that's too expensive for my taste. My preference for night flying is a chemlight. Grab a 6-hr from the PR shop and keep it partially wrapped in the bag. Extend it for more light; retract it for less.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
They aren't free for the squadron to buy and I know many guys who had to buy their own fingerlights. Not everyone is going to want a Night Vision Pen, but for those who prefer to have better equipment, I offer that choice. Squadrons can also choose to buy Night Vision Pens as opposed to plastic fingerlights and plastic mechanical pencils.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you have an NSN and a government rate, maybe some will be able to convince their ALSS shops to get some...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Working on getting an NSN, but it is a long and complicated process. However, squadrons are able to make purchases with their own accounts outside the supply system for products without NSN numbers up to a certain dollar amount. There is a 15% discount for quantities of 15 or more which is in place for squadrons outfitting their aviators.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Open purchases are a PITA. It's a lot easier sell to a chain of command that "hey, it's in the system..."

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Fresh feedback from Jonah, a Blackhawk pilot in theater:

I loved your pen, flew quite a few
hrs NG with it, and think its awesome! I am leaving our company
Instructor Pilot with one to try out. The only comments I've got so
far, other than it's awesome, is it won't fit into our flt uniform pen
slots because its too big and one guy said he would like the light to
stay on when he pushes the button, rather than having to keep it
pushed in. I disagree personally because that is right where I put my
fingers anyway and it saves the life of the pen. I will get you more
comments and pics when I get back from leave.