• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO To Pilot Transition Question

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
guys,
thanks. I wanted to feel out how officers would interpret my demands. Yes I know they are such. I understand the officer first idea. But people want to do what suits them best if possible. My first chance at liberty, I'll go and see the optometrist on my own and probably spend a few grand on treatment if the navy won't pay for it. I've got too much potential in the private sector to sacrafice for something I don't love and that, to me isn't fullfilling. Like swo or supply. Not that they are bad, but I love my civi job with the navy at nawcwd china lake, which is where I'm headed back to should i not get sna or a chance to get a second opinion from the eye doc.

I really appreciate your thoughts and will take them into account when making this tremendous career decision.

And the Docs have told you being a pilot doesn't suit you. Your eyes are questionable and they aren't willing to bank a few million on an airplane and the lives of everyone on board on them.

Just DOR. Go back to your civvie job. Maybe you haven't presented yourself as a doucher enough that the guys from China Lake around here won't recognize you. But then again...

81montedriver

pilot
Let's just say hypothetically that all of this stuff you propose magically works and you get in. It definately won't work, but for this little scenario let's say it does. When you get to primary, although it's mostly an individual effort, group study and helping out your buds is highly encouraged. Since you obviously have a ME FIRST attitude, you will instantly be hated. It will trickle up through your peers and then up to the instructors and soon enough you have developed a shitty rep for yourself. At which point, when your eyes start causing you problems on your flights and you go up for a review board you get washed out for sucking in the air and being a piece of shit on the ground.

Everyone else was right, just save yourself and the taxpayers some trouble and DOR right now, we don't want you.

leehigh80

I beleive that, currently, physical and mental apptitude are above par for NFO. Which is why I have posted here. To make that decision, knowing full well NFO is the MOST REALISTIC and FANTASTIC opportunity available to me to be able to serve my country. the country my little brother is being shipped to afganistan for. He is already a hero to me and I hope to compare to him as a warrior. Instead of some absolute negativity, readers may want CRITICAL advice that will help them as well. All you saw by the post is a person trying to acheive his goal with your support. I could have gone into dialogue about why I want NFO/pilot or a civie job, but that wasn't the intention of the earlier post. Send me a personal message if you have advice for me that may help others and myself make decisions.

MEPS never caught my eye issue, nor did any optometrist I ever saw over my entire life, so it was untreated and made school a constant struggle that I beat back with initiative and endurance and enthusiasm (remember those for the list of 14?). But now it has been uncovered, so I'm fighting as hard as possible to beat it. I told myself, no regrest, do your best to acheive your dream. If it doesn't work out, so be it. It is in God's hands and I will stand by that.

Also, would you put the next ten years of your life in the hands of one person? I hope you wouldn't. That's the reason for a second opinion. Just as you should do for medical issue. maybe there is a deeper medical problem, you never know...

CL guy, whoever you are, I'll shoot you a personal message soon. No time for you now...gotta study.

Actually didn't know you could't seek out advice on a career decision because it was online. I will stop now. Talk to you all in a month, should I be fortunate enough to receive a commission in the strongest military force ever seen on earth.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

alexis-bledel-sin-city.jpg

Oh dear. You've just gone and done the dumbest thing of your life!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
the country my little brother is being shipped to afganistan for. He is already a hero to me and I hope to compare to him as a warrior. Instead of some absolute negativity, readers may want CRITICAL advice that will help them as well.

I hope to clarify something’s for you quickly. Your brother’s service to our country is admirable. I believe several individuals who commented on your situation are currently your superior. You should probably be more tactful even though we may not know who you are presently. For your information someone on this board could very easily see your post/RANT then call OCS to find out exactly who you are. The point is you don’t know who is on this forum and what authority they have over you. Also, the individuals on this forum with wings below their name have them for a reason. It isn't just decoration. They have achieved what you were selected to do but ultimately are being turned away because of a medical condition. You shouldn't go on the offensive and pick fights with people you don't know. If you presented the topic tactfully I'm sure you would have achieved a much more informative response instead of "Get OUT!" I'm not in the military anymore (still hoping to be seen at a board) so I hope I haven’t over-stepped my boundary but I think you should step back for a second and try to solve the situation instead of making things more difficult on yourself.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I beleive that, currently, physical and mental apptitude are above par for NFO.

I really hope that you don't think you're "overqualified" for NFO. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sensing a bit of entitlement in your posts. Do yourself a favor and stay off AW until you're done OCS. If you are lucky enough to be given an SNA/SNFO slot afterwards, then check your attitude before it comes back to bite you.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I really hope that you don't think you're "overqualified" for NFO. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sensing a bit of entitlement in your posts. Do yourself a favor and stay off AW until you're done OCS. If you are lucky enough to be given an SNA/SNFO slot afterwards, then check your attitude before it comes back to bite you.

I couldn't agree with this more. I know I VISITED AW but didn't post during OCS as that was the instructions and I didn't want to ruin my chances for something stupid that could be considered an INTEGRITY VIOLATION. Yes thats exactly what it is, if you're wondering.....I hate this quote and I hate sounding like a broken record, but Integrity is what you do when nobodys watching. We obviously see how that panned out for you.

I think you would be VERY surprised how many of these guys/girls on here giving you GOOD advice are, just twobecrazy said, are/will be your superiors or instructors in a very short amount of time. Especially those who list their cities as PENSACOLA....thats not by coincidence.

As someone who is going through API and working hard to make it to NFO primary, your most recent post just seems fake to me. Its sounds like you got reactions from people you weren't expecting, so instead of just backing up and taking a break (like cfam suggested), you tried to play damage control and then started sounding like the NFO community would be lucky to have you. Your posts before that really don't mention anything about NFOs or even the possibility of becoming one if you didn't get a pilot slot. I'll tell you my experience really quickly from being down here after OCS not some short 7 months ago. I've watched 200+ people lose their SNA and SNFO spots due to not making the NSS mostly but a whole bunch of other stuff too. It's been said before by a bunch of people and punx said it best....there are SOOOOO many other MIDs who would kill to have your slot, whether that be an SNA or NFO spot. Don't think you're doing the FO community or NA community a favor by going up the COC and "telling them like it is" because you feel you deserve it. Working hard for what you want is one thing, being a douche and doing it arrogantly like you're entitled is completely different.

I really hope you don't read this anymore because you have other things to focus on....like graduating from OCS.....which is also NOT guaranteed for you at this point. If you want stories of guys getting attrited 3 days before graduation, PM me and I'll be glad to give them to you.

Check your attitude and listen to what the others have said to you. They have given some really valuable stuff that WILL keep you out of trouble and make you a better officer, aviator, etc., IF you choose to be humble, listen to them, and change the way you approach people like cfam suggested. Or not and continue to sound like a douche and see how that works for you.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
guys,
thanks. I wanted to feel out how officers would interpret my demands. Yes I know they are such. I understand the officer first idea. But people want to do what suits them best if possible. My first chance at liberty, I'll go and see the optometrist on my own and probably spend a few grand on treatment if the navy won't pay for it. I've got too much potential in the private sector to sacrafice for something I don't love and that, to me isn't fullfilling. Like swo or supply. Not that they are bad, but I love my civi job with the navy at nawcwd china lake, which is where I'm headed back to should i not get sna or a chance to get a second opinion from the eye doc.

I really appreciate your thoughts and will take them into account when making this tremendous career decision.

WTF is that supposed to mean hombre. Sounds like you're saying you're too good for my community just like it sounds like you're saying you're too good for NFO. Please DOR, because if they in fact can you from aviation as I've already seen it happen to many, I don't want your stinkin' trash anywhere near mine. Take your sense of entitlement elsewhere bubba. Tell me you DOR'd tomorrow. That's what I want to hear and I'm sure most of us do. You're toxic and by posting on here while at OCS I'll go ahead and guarantee you've probably screwed yourself into some pain.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
The "NFO is lesser than thou" attitude from SNAs is getting really damn old. REALLY DAMN OLD. Unless you're a WINGED NAVAL AVIATOR, don't say nothin about how much better off pilots are than FOs and how much you'd rather go back to flying your sweet desk at China Lake. I'll take the T-6A over a friggin desk anyday of the week, sir. Everybody knows that the pilots get all the glory, and sure, I'd rather be in the front seat, controlling the aircraft. But here's how I explain it to people that ask, "Why'd you take NFO, didn't you want to be a pilot?" You've always wanted to get a Ferrari for your 16th birthday, but instead your old man gave you a Porsche 911GT. Guess what? Both beat the HELL out of most (in fact, every one I can think of) civilian jobs. There were guys in my API class that flat out refused an NFO slot when they didn't make the pilot NSS. "I ain't gonna be a frickin NFO!" Good deal, do what you want, but think through your options. You know what happens when the attitude indicator goes out in the plane? It says "ATTITUDE FAIL". Best of luck.

MidWestEwo

None
The "NFO is lesser than thou" attitude from SNAs is getting really damn old. REALLY DAMN OLD. Unless you're a WINGED NAVAL AVIATOR, don't say nothin about how much better off pilots are than FOs and how much you'd rather go back to flying your sweet desk at China Lake. I'll take the T-6A over a friggin desk anyday of the week, sir. Everybody knows that the pilots get all the glory, and sure, I'd rather be in the front seat, controlling the aircraft. But here's how I explain it to people that ask, "Why'd you take NFO, didn't you want to be a pilot?" You've always wanted to get a Ferrari for your 16th birthday, but instead your old man gave you a Porsche 911GT. Guess what? Both beat the HELL out of most (in fact, every one I can think of) civilian jobs. There were guys in my API class that flat out refused an NFO slot when they didn't make the pilot NSS. "I ain't gonna be a frickin NFO!" Good deal, do what you want, but think through your options. You know what happens when the attitude indicator goes out in the plane? It says "ATTITUDE FAIL". Best of luck.

Easyyyy. Shouldn't you be studying EPs right now? :icon_smil

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Just wanted to jump in here and say that I found out I was DQed for Pilot tonight. I got over it in all of one hour. It's a fvcking honor to have the opportunity to train as an NFO and I'm ashamed that for even one second I thought otherwise.

leehigh80, I'm no Navy guy but I know we've got the same core values. Maybe you should reexamine those values and seriously consider whether you're cut out for this line of work.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Matt, sorry you got DQ'ed, but congrats on NFO! It'll be a good time.