• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO To Pilot Transition Question

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Where in the pipeline do NFOs start their pilot training? Obviously they dont have to do API over again, but I'm not sure after that. Thanks

I don't know the current experience for jet retreads, but mine (1982-1984) was direct to VT-6 then, assuming you got jet grades, direct to a jet training squadron. In the A6 RAG, I was waived from any of the pilot orientation hops that took place in the right seat (fam, weps) and also skipped most of the ground school classes. In the tracom and RAG, retreads didn't stand any type of duty (ASDO, RDO, etc.), which was pretty sweet for three years.

I would stress one important part for any contemplating or involved in the transition. Just because you were a great NFO and rode through a lot of flight time and traps doesn't mean you know how to fly. My kids have sat through a lot of driving time, but they can't drive for shit in those first few weeks and months when they have their permit. Drop tanks have a lot of flight time and traps.

I think this played out in formation flying, weps and CQ. There's a lot of pilot shit that NFO's never experience, even though they are a constant eyewitness to it, so the attitude has to be that of a CAT I, mod-0 student who happens to have had a great opportunity to learn good air sense and comms prior to the TRACOM.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
There was a guy a few months ago that transitioned over to SNA in the middle of NFO primary. I don't know the details behind how he did it but I spoke with him last night and he is almost finished with primary at Whiting now.

He was a special case, I went to school with him. When he ended up applying and selecting BDCP, they had cut off pilot slots for the year, and he ended up taking NFO banking on the fact that he might eventually get the transfer. He had about 400 hours and his CFII coming into the program, and scored extremely high in SNFO training. Extremely rare situation for him to get the transfer while in SNFO training, don't count on this at all.

The top 10% of graduates at API sometimes get the transfer to pilot, I had a bunch of friends that did that, but shortly after we graduated they stopped doing that. This one is all a matter of timing.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I think this played out in formation flying, weps and CQ. There's a lot of pilot shit that NFO's never experience, even though they are a constant eyewitness to it, so the attitude has to be that of a CAT I, mod-0 student who happens to have had a great opportunity to learn good air sense and comms prior to the TRACOM.
You hit the nail on the head! I am in forms right now and while experience seeing the sightpicture helps with SA, you are building basics. The crappy thing about having the newbie attitude and ability is that the expectations are higher....oh well....suck less and stay in position ;)

MasterBates

This all applies to pilot-to-pilot pipeline transitions as well.. I know just enough tabout FW boat ops to thoroughly kill myself. I can talk on the radios, and have a bit more SA, but that's about where it stops.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
NFO to Pilot Applications

So, did anyone apply this year for the board that met this week?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
If you do not get the #1 EP in modern times, you will not get the transition.

Not to disagree with your overall point (which is 100% valid) that you should work hard and strive for a #1 EP, but it's not a prerequisite. I know two guys in the same squadron just recently who got the NFO-to-pilot this year.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Having two anchors and fogging a mirror apparently worked to get the transition circa 2003/4... they had more spots than applicants. TACORD RIO from my second cruise even made it after deckspotting to a Kingsville candy "Q" at the boat (good thing I wasn't his LSO!). I believe the supplementary committment was unpalatable.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Typical Navy. I should have specified and asked about how many get selected each year. Can any retreads shed some light on this and remember how many people got picked up in your year?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typical Navy. I should have specified and asked about how many get selected each year. Can any retreads shed some light on this and remember how many people got picked up in your year?

You will find your some of your answer where board info resides, on the NPC website. The answer to your question for FY09 is 5.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Yup the past few years at least has been around 5 with a pretty equal representation from all communities. Just realize a brand new 8 year commitment and no bonus would be in your future. Small price to pay IMO.

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
FY04 - Retread...10 in my group. Seems to be smaller in years since. What AJTranny says is true, no bonus + 8more. No big deal on the commitment, but that no bonus stings a little no matter who you are or your financial situation. However you do accept that pill early on so its not like its a suprise. One more thing, and my experience only, it may be much harder for you to screen for DH depending on your future community's numbers. (i.e. you skip a possible breakout shore tour to go to training, years of NOB's, then miss a disassciated wicket while you're back for a 'super JO' tour as a pilot.) Reality of the retread I'm afraid.