• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO To Pilot Transition Question

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I may be redesignating NFO soon due to not making the NSS. Had my heart set on flying, but that's the way it goes I guess.

I know there have been flags and COs that did the transition, but generally speaking will a transition kill your chances at screening for DH and such later on?

Seems hard to make up for another 2-4 years of non-fleet time.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I personally know 3 transition guys that are skippers now and plenty more dept heads. It will be tough but it has been done before. Timing and luck helps though, so I hear.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Yeah. I think it was 29 at my board but I'm not sure. The personnel website at npc.mil has some info. If not, the message traffic for the nfo-pilot program comes out in early spring which has more details. Also, I had to have 18 months in my fleet squadron. Oh, and you have to be physically qualified for pilot.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Yeah. I think it was 29 at my board but I'm not sure. The personnel website at npc.mil has some info. If not, the message traffic for the nfo-pilot program comes out in early spring which has more details. Also, I had to have 18 months in my fleet squadron. Oh, and you have to be physically qualified for pilot.

Excellent. I will check the personnel website. I can't get message traffic as I am no longer in the Navy but will try to find as much info as possible. Thanks.

leehigh80

I got an sna slot. I'm in week 8 at OCS. On day two the doc said my left eye was too dominant. He gave me exercises but no suggestion to see a vision therapist! I want the sna slot and asked for a vision therapist along with a second opinion from the vision therapist (which is just an optometrist who also does neat eye exercises). He retested me a month before the agreed date and said I failed again and have to redes. I talked to my class officer who said: no, I wont let you see the vision therapist.
I'm going to see the class officer again and ask for (in writing in my commissioning contract):

1. I want to see the vision therapist (for three reason, no trust in flight doc and want to see if the vision therapy will fix my problem and have a general second opinion on my eyes)
2. Should the therapy work, I want to be guaranteed the redes to sna (I know that may not happen)
3. Should something be found about me physically once at API which doesnt allow me to be nfo, I will be able to separate from the Navy.

Should the above not be agreed to, I’m probably going to separate before I commission (exept for possibly the thrid). But I will go all the way to the captain before making that decision of course. What do you guys think?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
@Leehigh80

I don't know how long it would take for the therapy to work should they allow you to go through with it at OCS, but if you're not found qualified by graduation they may just redesignate you since at that time you would not be found to be physically qualified. It's all about timing. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it seems to work that way.

Guarantees don't generally fly in the military. Very few people can "guarantee" anything for you. It's the nature of the business.

Some food for thought though should you end up in API:

I can't speak to all the situations you mentioned but I do know that if you are found to be NPQ (Not Physically Qualified) for aviation in API, you will be allowed an opportunity to redesignate, you don't need to separate if you decide you want to stay in for whatever reason.

I have a friend who got NPQ'd and he's going up for a board to see if he can pick up Supply. I can't speak to your chances at getting whatever designator you want should you decide not to separate, since things change rather quickly, but that is an option for you as well. Just letting you know.

And we all know how the economy is these days.

As always, someone more experienced than I can will be able to give you more specific info on your issue.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
....Should the above not be agreed to, I’m probably going to separate before I commission (exept for possibly the thrid). But I will go all the way to the captain before making that decision of course. What do you guys think?
What do I think? Start preparing your resume to find a civilian job.

The Navy doesn't want or need you that bad to be given ultimatums. It's up to the Doc to decide if he's going to refer you to vision therapy or not. And they sure aren't going to guarantee you redesignation later.

They can tell you now if you are physically qualified for NFO. If you subsequently NPQ after commissioning, chances are they will let you out of the Navy. If not, it's 2 years - so what? Probably less by the time you get NPQ, appeal and are redesignated.

Get packing. The sooner you start, the sooner you might find something in this shitty civilian job market.

punx_clever

Lee, look at it this way:

There is a metric shit ton of MIDN in ROTC and the Academy right now that would kill for any slot in aviation, whether it's NFO or NA, and they aren't going to walk up to their CO's and start throwing around demands. On top of that, most of them don't have any vision issues. Be damn happy that the powers that be are even looking at you for that back seat slot or give it up to someone who will be.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^+1, and Lee, keep in mind that the Navy doesn't owe you an SNA slot. I realize that you're in a shitty situation, but be aware that you will be a naval officer first, and an aviator second. If you have a real problem with that, I suggest you find a different career field. If you truly are interested in being an officer, then explore different career options within the Navy that you are PQ'ed for, should the therapy not work out.

leehigh80

guys,
thanks. I wanted to feel out how officers would interpret my demands. Yes I know they are such. I understand the officer first idea. But people want to do what suits them best if possible. My first chance at liberty, I'll go and see the optometrist on my own and probably spend a few grand on treatment if the navy won't pay for it. I've got too much potential in the private sector to sacrafice for something I don't love and that, to me isn't fullfilling. Like swo or supply. Not that they are bad, but I love my civi job with the navy at nawcwd china lake, which is where I'm headed back to should i not get sna or a chance to get a second opinion from the eye doc.

I really appreciate your thoughts and will take them into account when making this tremendous career decision.

I'm in week 8 at OCS.
My first chance at liberty, I'll go and see the optometrist on my own and probably spend a few grand on treatment if the navy won't pay for it..
Why are you posting on here when your class officer/chief/CO/XO explicitly forbade you from doing so, like they do for every class, while at OCS? You haven't even been granted liberty yet, so this would be a great way to ruin it for everybody else.

It's pretty easy to identify somebody who provides a bunch of extremely specific medical information.

phrogpilot73

...in writing in my commissioning contract...

Should the above not be agreed to, I’m probably going to separate before I commission (exept for possibly the thrid). But I will go all the way to the captain before making that decision of course.
That ain't going to happen, and if you "go all the way to the captain" with your demands - it still won't happen. Just DOR now. What the Navy DOESN'T need is another whiny, entitled Ens.