• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO retreads VS. SNAs

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Time management

I got off of cruise in Dec 04. Started Webster U January 05. Did WTI April-May 05. Started JPME Aug 05. Finished Webster U March 06. Got married June 17, th 2006. Did an IA from Sep 06- Jan 07. Primary at Whiting as a geobachelor traveling back to Jax Beach every weekend from Feb 05 -May 17, 07. Finished JPME May 17, 07. No kids. I pretty much studied like a fiend. When I was on my IA, I wrote all my JPME papers and had a deal with the profs to not hold missing class against me. My Citadel time-management skills got me through it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I got off of cruise in Dec 04. Started Webster U January 05. Did WTI April-May 05. Started JPME Aug 05. Finished Webster U March 06. Got married June 17, th 2006. Did an IA from Sep 06- Jan 07. Primary at Whiting as a geobachelor traveling back to Jax Beach every weekend from Feb 05 -May 17, 07. Finished JPME May 17, 07. No kids. I pretty much studied like a fiend. When I was on my IA, I wrote all my JPME papers and had a deal with the profs to not hold missing class against me. My Citadel time-management skills got me through it.

I've only got one kid and that had to help (having none) but regardless.......ladies and gents......thats how you get it done. Impressive no doubt. You've obviously got to want it, bad to do what you did. Hard work equals pay off baby :D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Timing helps also

Timing is key although you cannot control that as much. I am glad that I NAMI Whammied the first time around because there is no way I would have gotten the education so quickly. I think it will propel me further had I gone through pilot training in the beginning. And had I gone through pilot training in the beginning, I can't say that I would have the SA to do as well as I am doing now to choose where/what I want to fly. Everything happens for a reason.

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
RetreadRand said:
You better be joking JD
Unless being a top performer and getting qualified early for everything and getting good fitereps etc etc etc is your definition of a dummie

Yes Rand...He is referring to you! Don't forget to breathe...breathe!

After reading FLYTPAY, I know feel like the laziest shit in the world!

As far as the career...I'm on the 2nd year back after the wing lobotomy and things have changed from INTRUDER DRIVER's time. I personally know 4 of us retreads that missed 0-4 on the first shot. (Aka...the kiss of death.) With the DH screen happening, I've been told in one way shape or form that even if 0-4 happens on look 1, its a snowballs shot in hell that you'll screen DH. And, it ain't snowing by the way! Too many guys have better things in their records than we do...Disassociated, IA, JPME, breakout shore w/ no NOB's. So where does one go from here? Still searching for that answer?

BTW its been a while since I posted on here, but its good to be back. I see the old salts are still here spilling their wisdom, and thats all good.

MasterBates

Pitt, you need wings above your name.. PM a mod to make it happen.

As a retread of a different flavor (HSL pilot to VRC/VAW pilot) be interesting to see how this all pans out.. Helps that I was only a LT for year when selected. But, I'm going to have about 18-24 months worth of NOBs.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Pittflyer, where are you

Pittflyer, what community did you go back to? Everyone I know who went back to Hornets made O-4

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
RetreadRand said:
I know 2 NFO to Pilots that would have been successful by the Navy's defintion had they stayed NFOs (help me out here PITT)...but may not have enjoyed what they did

Kind of reminds me of a retread patch that Vince used to wear (before his exodus to SW). I think it said "Turning stellar NFOs into average pilots" or something like that. Funny stuff.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Career Schmeer (O-4's do not read this)

Just give it 100% and as long as the autopilot is latched up you should look just fine. I have seen a lot of idiots make O-4 and I am sure every other JO has to. The question I have is this. What comes first, the idiot or the O-4. :icon_tong (All O-4's reading this should not be) I keep telling myself that I am not going to get the lobotomy that comes with O-4.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Kind of reminds me of a retread patch that Vince used to wear (before his exodus to SW). I think it said "Turning stellar NFOs into average pilots" or something like that. Funny stuff.

In the early '80's, there was some tangible amount of truth to that. We had several deep selected O-4's among the retreads and many top 1 or 2 RAG instructors going through as retreads. In fact, I can't think of any retreads who were considered average NFO's. The reality was, and I'm sure still is, that the skills that make a great NFO don't always translate directly to stick and throttle skills, or to the ability to think and maintain situational awareness at the level one did as an NFO when a stick and throttle is added to the equation.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I keep telling myself that I am not going to get the lobotomy that comes with O-4.
You don't have a choice. We'll come in the middle of the night while you're sleeping, immobilize you and just do it. You've got to sleep sometime. There's no hiding either, eventually we'll find you. We're patient. We will gladly watch and wait for our opportunity.....:D

lobotomyre5.gif

MasterBates

It's like invasion of the body snatcher, but its invasion of the brain snatchers...

Maybe we should start refering to the Hinges as Pod People

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nothing wrong with O-4 ... I was one ... for 1 1/2 years ... seriously. :)

Then I moved on to O-5. I liked that better .... ;)