• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO retreads VS. SNAs

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"No power calls as the pilot settles into a taxi one" ....???

Don't think it's just one guy sir. It's the typical COD treatment.

Paddles: "Hey the COD is coming in, I'm gonna go take a piss."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't think it's just one guy sir. It's the typical COD treatment.

Paddles: "Hey the COD is coming in, I'm gonna go take a piss."

Persian Gulf, 99, a wave day. I'm timing and here comes Chris Duffy flying seemingly another 4.0 pass. Crossing the ramp, theres a wing rock and he just drops right into a taxi one wire. Like all lift was done, just done and down they came. It happens.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Just a little historical background for the OP.

NFO retreads use to return to the community they came from. Then there was a certain F-14 RIO who went back to the Tomcat community. After shelling out of one jet on cruise, he killed himself, his RIO and three people on the ground in Memphis circa 1996 (may have been 1995). Turns out he was a great RIO but not a great pilot. At that point, the Navy stopped the NFO to Pilot transition program. One of the things they did when they reinstituted the program was to put all the retreads into the selection pool so that unqualified people were not going to hard to fly aircraft.

So, do your best and worry about the other guy later.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Stop worrying about who your competeing agains and their performance and stick to your own. If you're the only person selecting in a week with shitty grades, or 1 of 20 with an 80 NSS, it matters not if there arn't slots available. You have no control over it, just enjoy being a responsible free SNA. You'll enjoy primary more.

FLY_USMC

pilot
BTW, the exact circumstances of my story weren't exact, I was actually speaking in generalities, meaning the story I heard from the Sim guy was something similar to that in tone, but not in specifics.

As for not worrying, I concur, but will caveat that with if you get an 80 NSS, they will find what you want available.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just a little historical background for the OP.

NFO retreads use to return to the community they came from. Then there was a certain F-14 RIO who went back to the Tomcat community. After shelling out of one jet on cruise, he killed himself, his RIO and three people on the ground in Memphis circa 1996 (may have been 1995). Turns out he was a great RIO but not a great pilot. At that point, the Navy stopped the NFO to Pilot transition program. One of the things they did when they reinstituted the program was to put all the retreads into the selection pool so that unqualified people were not going to hard to fly aircraft.

So, do your best and worry about the other guy later.

My boss was one of those original 7 F-14 RIO's that went F-14 pilot. He said 3 of the 7 were killed, like the guy mentioned above. I guess D-Day was a decent pilot, still around about to retire.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I am one of the NFO to Pilot Retreads

Hey Guys, I was one of those NFO to pilot retreads, I selected Meridian yesterday with an NSS of 79. It is a little unfair as far as the advantage we have coming back through but at the same time, that edge is pennance for my time at 200 feet, 350 knots in the back of an S-3 for barely busting my eye exam in 2000. TIMS is not effecting NSS adversely to put down any rumors of that. To gauge what you wil get, a 1.19 and some change will get you up there.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Anyone know how hard it is for Marine NFO's to switch? What the process is like?

(tried searching and couldn't find)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Marines switching to Pilot

The WSO in my class is a Hornet guy and has a Bronze Star from a FAC tour and he got picked up. It is not easy but put in a package none-the-less

TuxFlier

What is the effect of being a retread have on a career? Does the fact that a person is going from perhaps being an awesome NFO to brand new pilot hurt someone's chances for promotion down the road?

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

As a former retread who had a CO tour, I disagree.

COMNAVAIRLANT AND NAVAIRSYSCOM are both retreads. RADM Starling, CNAL, went through pilot training as a junior O-4 after only one fleet tour and a RAG tour. RADM Symonds was a senior LT going through pilot training and ultimately became CO of Reagan.

The majority of retreads I know that stayed in became CO's and promoted just fine.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
My boss was one of those original 7 F-14 RIO's that went F-14 pilot. He said 3 of the 7 were killed, like the guy mentioned above. I guess D-Day was a decent pilot, still around about to retire.

As an early '80's retread, I can give you a little firsthand knowledge of how the communities fared during that period when we probably had over 175 retreads in a 4 year period.

The S-3 retreads either did awesome or washed out. It seemed there was no middle ground. The general logic was that, during the '70's, the S-3 was generally where the bottom of the A6/EA6B/S3 NFO class was placed, so the airmanship was already suspect.

The F-14 retreads generally did fine during pilot training, but the speed bump occurred in the RAG, and especially night CQ, and they had a higher than normal attrition rate compared to other 'winged' retreads.

The A6/EA-6B retreads fared best (and I'm not biased). The sense was that, since the A6 community generally got the top couple SNFO selections from each winging out of VT-86 and the B/N's had the experience of front seat time and a copilot role on every flight, the retread base for airmanship and headwork was probably elevated compared to the overall retread base. We still had a few who didn't make it through pilot training, but they were rare, and our success making it through the RAG was close to 100%.

At the time, I don't recall any E-2 retreads and only one P-3 retread.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
S-3B retread

Coming from the S-3B community, the huge helper for retreads there are the dual controls. I obtained civilian ratings in addition to a jet type rating prior to even applying for the transition. (which I would not have needed had NAMI whammy not gotten me back when 20/30 was the requirement.) As for having adverse effects on the career, it could. You are getting unobserved FITREPS until you make it back to the fleet. The board does not choose dummies however (except for one in 2005 from the E6 community.) They choose guys that are #1 EP's and have additional stuff going for them. Getting the Weapons and Tactics Instructor qual and going to the S-3 Weapons School as a JO OPSO helped immensely. So as to not hurt my career, I got an MBA (Thank you Webster University and Bob Costas), finished JPME phase I last week, and did an IA to Qatar prior to Primary. Education is the easy way to one-up your competition. Most guys are lazy coming off of cruise, that is your time to excel. Now with all the wisdom I have expelled, call me in 13 years to see if I made CO or CAG :icon_tong

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Coming from the S-3B community, the huge helper for retreads there are the dual controls. I obtained civilian ratings in addition to a jet type rating prior to even applying for the transition. (which I would not have needed had NAMI whammy not gotten me back when 20/30 was the requirement.) As for having adverse effects on the career, it could. You are getting unobserved FITREPS until you make it back to the fleet. The board does not choose dummies however (except for one in 2005 from the E6 community.) They choose guys that are #1 EP's and have additional stuff going for them. Getting the Weapons and Tactics Instructor qual and going to the S-3 Weapons School as a JO OPSO helped immensely. So as to not hurt my career, I got an MBA (Thank you Webster University and Bob Costas), finished JPME phase I last week, and did an IA to Qatar prior to Primary. Education is the easy way to one-up your competition. Most guys are lazy coming off of cruise, that is your time to excel. Now with all the wisdom I have expelled, call me in 13 years to see if I made CO or CAG :icon_tong

Holly crap, are you married or have kids? How did you make time for a masters then JPME 1, etc? I think I would have to either stop being lazy or manage my time much better.