• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO retreads VS. SNAs

Malice 1

pilot
I know I am belaboring the whole NSS and selection topic to death, but this one really has me curious.

If a Jet NFO retreads and comes through primary as an SNA, does he compete with the other unexperienced noob SNAs at selection time? It seems like he would have an unfair advantage.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
When the Commodore gave us our in-brief, he said that historically NFOs rock SNA Primary. Not suprising.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup. Don't worry, I think both guys are ahead of you, not to mention they're allotment comes from a different pool of jet slots.

Malice 1

pilot
Yup. Don't worry, I think both guys are ahead of you, not to mention they're allotment comes from a different pool of jet slots.

Sadly you read my mind. I was trying to be sly about finding that information.

I guess I won't have to plan a super short cross country in order to extend my stay in primary.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I've spoken with several Instructors and thoughts are split. While obviously more knowledgeable about everything academic about aviation, they "thought" retreads had surprisingly low SA. Sure it's not the community as a whole, but?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Generally, the NFO retreads are Navy. I happen to know Malice isn't.

Heloanjin

pilot
If a Jet NFO retreads and comes through primary as an SNA, does he compete with the other unexperienced noob SNAs at selection time? It seems like he would have an unfair advantage.

I'm not sure what you think would be fair if you think going through the exact same syllabus and being graded based on the exact same criteria is not fair.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Life is unfair, get over it........:eek:

Why worry about this particular thing in flight school anyways? You have a lot more important things to worry about than something as little and inane as this. Do you know for certain that he is going to graduate with you anyways? This is not the USAF you know.......

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I've spoken with several Instructors and thoughts are split. While obviously more knowledgeable about everything academic about aviation, they "thought" retreads had surprisingly low SA. Sure it's not the community as a whole, but?

that is surprising. i'd always figured that would be their strong point. Perhaps the expectations higher.

As far as 'unfair' advantages go...who cares. What's the alternative? Stick them with a handicap to even things out? Hopefully that experience saves someones butt some day. If they're a better stick, they're a better stick.

Besides, i agree with Retread. Your not the one that had to be a FO for all those years...:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Really? I think in the Navy they select like the other studs unless they changed the rules......

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They do, but the needs of the Marine Corps are not the same as the needs of the Navy. However, what I was getting at was that the "competition" was ahead of him, completion date-wise.