• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO as a FAC

ftrooper

pilot
F/A 18D= All weather, ALL THREAT Day/ Night FAC (A) with as much load out as a section of a Harriers. WSO app, lets put some threats in the tgt area and see how that single seat FAC(A) works out, especially as a single. WSO appreciation is watching 4 sections of FW, plus skids, and arty being directed by a single aircraft, with a very high tempo on the attacks. Single Seat FAC(A) is a nice force multiplier for low threat and not very fluid situations. If you want FAC (A) in any other environment, it's gonna take a WSO. My .02c on bashing WSOs, they can make one jet do more than 2 single seat jets can for FAC(A) in any platform. I prefer flying by myself, but once you've seen true FAC(A), you know it can't be done single seat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK. I get what you mean now. That wasn't bravado. That was me correcting somebody who essentially said that Marines don't/can't do single seat FAC(A). I also said that while we can work as singles, we almost never do in practice. Two separate issues.

BTW we steal bicycles both as singles and in large roving mobs.

That's OK. I extracted my revenge this Summer at RJOI. :D

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a GBU-16 and a Litening II targeting pod. Look up the Pk of that versus many other larger loadouts. If they weren't on the boat, they would have likely had the gun on as well.

The two tanks give it a 2+hour unrefueled flight time. Take them off and get two more stores with a 1+ flight. Situationally dependant.

If those two additional stores (or the LGB from the original picture) were GBU-32/38s, then you have JDAM with relative targeting. No other USMC or USN platform can do that.

That's what we bring to the party.

Three guided 1000lb or 500lb bombs is more than any other Marine or Navy aircraft can bring to the fight?! It appears that the Litening II would be the only unique thing that a Harrier would bring to the fight, and it seems to me that you could hang that thing off any fighter/attack aircraft.

I have read articles praising the Harrier-Litening II combo and I have to scratch my head in a little bit of wonder. Why would Marines praise it so much when all it is is a really nice targeting pod? Then the lightbulb went off, at least I think it was a lightbulb......The reason I believe that the Litening is so praised is that the Marines are sorely lacking in high fidelity full motion video (FMV) assets that can provide to them what the Shadow, Warrior and Predators provide for the Army and USAF.

When the Marines retired the OV-10 after the Gulf War, what became the main real-time Recce/observation aircraft for the USMC? Enter the very used, very old and Navy discarded RQ-2 Pioneer UAV's. While they have done amazing things with them in Iraq, they still come with all of the limitations of a 25 year old UAV.

So in reality, you could throw a Litening II on a AT-6 (it has hardpoints) and a few bombs as well, a couple of GBU-39's and a GBU-38 or 2, and you got yourself an excellent FAC(A) platform to use in Iraq. Or if you don't want to make the investment in a new aircraft, just throw a Litening II on a Super Hornet or even a D model. Couple that with some new UAV's that provide capabilities comparable or better than the Litening II, and you got yourself a party!!!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
So in reality, you could throw a Litening II on a AT-6 (it has hardpoints) and a few bombs as well, a couple of GBU-39's and a GBU-38 or 2, and you got yourself an excellent FAC(A) platform to use in Iraq. Or if you don't want to make the investment in a new aircraft, just throw a Litening II on a Super Hornet or even a D model.
Send the LANTIRN equipped S-3B in! :D Plus you don't have the gas problem that Hornets have. Disclaimer, just bring the plane back after I select out of Advanced!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Send the LANTIRN equipped S-3B in! :D Plus you don't have the gas problem that Hornets have. Disclaimer, just bring the plane back after I select out of Advanced!

Better hurry, supplies are running out!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's true, they do hang the LITENING off of F/A-18's. The difference (DISCLAIMER: I could be talking out my ass here) is the software that the Harrier has. I know that with the upgraded software, the Harrier can essentially produce it's own mensurated coordinates using the LITNENING. I don't know if the platforms can...

So it is a software upgrade that the Harrier has over the D's? Maybe the VMFA(AW) squadrons need to call Geek Squad.......

geeksquad.png

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I know that with the upgraded software, the Harrier can essentially produce it's own mensurated coordinates using the LITNENING. I don't know if the platforms can...

Might be a nomenclature (or is it terminology...?) thing here, but the term "mensurated coordinate" means a very specific thing to the targeting community. I'm assuming you (and HarrierDude) mean "targeting quality" coordinates - given what you have to do hardware- and software-wise on the ground to produce actual mensurated coordinates, I'd be very surprised if mensurated coordinates were getting produced in the air by a single seater with 11 other tasks ongoing....

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Might be a nomenclature (or is it terminology...?) thing here, but the term "mensurated coordinate" means a very specific thing to the targeting community. I'm assuming you (and HarrierDude) mean "targeting quality" coordinates - given what you have to do hardware- and software-wise on the ground to produce actual mensurated coordinates, I'd be very surprised if mensurated coordinates were getting produced in the air by a single seater with 11 other tasks ongoing....

I don't know if Harriers can do it or not, but I too was surprised to hear that they could produce mensurated coordinates.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Can someone explain what's special about mensurated coordinates? Are they specific to JDAMs? I mean in idiot speak; google is rough at best.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Can someone explain what's special about mensurated coordinates? Are they specific to JDAMs? I mean in idiot speak; google is rough at best.

Mensurated Coordinates = Real Time Relative GPS Coordinates IIRC, but I'm not 100% on that...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"mensurated" officially means really, really accurate (down to certain number of decimal points), but what it's coming to mean is not only really, really accurate, but it's been double-checked by the CAOC or targeting cel and signed off by targeteers. IOW, don't need to refine it or check it further, punch that sucker into the JDAM.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
^^And that's as much as we need to discuss regarding mensurated coordinates.

This post isn't so much for the guys with the info, but rather the guys with the questions.