• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO as a FAC

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could have sworn we had some single seat Hornet FAC(A)'s in my airwing.

They've been screwing around with section FAC(A), but talk about a complete waste of assets... two airplanes to do something one crewed F (or D) can do. Were they FAC(A) in another life (F guys)?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
No, they weren't, Thupers hadn't hit the fleet yet.

Hmm come to think about it.... Is the FAC(A) qual required to be an RMC?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, they weren't, Thupers hadn't hit the fleet yet.

Hmm come to think about it.... Is the FAC(A) qual required to be an RMC?

Nope, we have a RMC qual'd guy who is not a FAC(A). Which is funny, since from what I've seen, CSAR is like CAS on crack.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That's it then, we had single seat/section RMC's. Obviously, we (and everyone else) preferred Tomcats. The Tomcat RMC crews had to be FAC(A) qual'd, I think.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Normally section (almost always). We do nearly everything as a section at a minimum.

That's my arguement... 2 assets vs 1 asset. You can "cue NFO justification"... but the fact is one crew is a better use of money and frees up other fighters for a striker role. That's just an opinion though... I've never worked with Marine FAC(A)'s and you've obviously been doing this business longer than I.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I may be jumping in where I'm not wanted, but as a FAC on the ground - I'd rather have a section of aircraft check-in than a single FAC(A). Why? More eyes, more brains, and more ordnance. Just my $.02.

*cough* Same amount of eyes, same amount of brains *cough*

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry accidentally deleted it - what I meant was I'd rather have (2) aircraft (assuming same T/M/S) than (1) aircraft show up. So in this example, I'd rather have (2) AV-8B's vice (1) FAC(A) capable one. Just like I'd rather have (2) F/A-18 choose type vice (1) FAC(A) capable one.

Well, we're talking the feasibility of section FAC(A) vs crewed FAC(A)... not strikers checking for tasking.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How so?

I mean, it may not be as cool as drilling holes in the sky at max endurance with three dudes to do all the mission stuff for me, but it's a living.

Only insofar as you come out of the gate with:
Harrier Dude said:
Marine single seats can be FAC(A)s

But you follow up with:
Harrier Dude said:
Normally section (almost always).

Not knocking your mission because I don't do it - just your bravado. ;)

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How so?

I mean, it may not be as cool as drilling holes in the sky at max endurance with three dudes to do all the mission stuff for me, but it's a living.

I don't know, how much does a Harrier bring to the party if all it carries is this?

Harrier.av8b.750pix.jpg