• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newly Commissioned: A few questions

phrogpilot73

Steve Wilkins said:
with the CAC ID's, there's no way to distinguish b/t active duty and reserves.
Yes there is. On the right, under the branch of service logo it says "Active Duty" or "Reserves". But that's it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Umm... Green is active duty (with the old ID cards), Pink is reserves, and Orange is dependent.

I believe they like to call it red not pink. :D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Yes there is. On the right, under the branch of service logo it says "Active Duty" or "Reserves". But that's it.
Yea, that's what I used to think too. However, the policy of putting that there must have changed. After I got out last year and then joined the reserves, my ID had nothing with the word 'Reserves' printed anywhere on it. So I figured THAT was the way ID cards are different. Active duty cards have 'Active Duty' printed on them and reserve cards have nothing. Then I came back on active duty, processed out of NAS Jax PSD, and the ID card people there said I didn't need a new ID since they are identical.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
it just dawned on me....but is this why they have you guys report in suits vice Alphas? Because you're technically not on active duty until you report in (again, minus the mustangs who are already on active duty at time of commissioning)?

The lt.'s that report directly after the ten week program report in Alpha's. Th e ones that did PLC usually haven't been issued (BOUGHT) any uniforms yet.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
tony7500 said:
I'm more worried about moving all our stuff 3,000 miles, including the wife. I'm not even sure if it'll all fit in a U-Haul trailer, including the wife. I also have a motorcycle and I know that normally the Marines will pay to ship the motorcycle, so I need to figure out if this will get reimbursed as well if I have to ship it myself. If I do a DITY I'll have to confirm that all our expenses will get reimbursed.

I was in your shoes for Alpha Co. last year. I got commissioned in May and reported in November. Luckily my OSO was very cool and let me go PTAD and "work" with him for the last 60 days leading up to my report date. It allowed me to start getting paid and get my wife and daughter in DEERS and tricare.

See if you can do PTAD with your OSO while you wait to report. It also might make a difference in a PCS move.

tony7500

0+ hours...
Steve Wilkins said:
Beagle? She's no Beagle. She's a pure bred mutt. Better than any Beagle any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That totally looks like a beagle...I think you got scammed. :D

tony7500

0+ hours...
freshy said:
I was in your shoes for Alpha Co. last year. I got commissioned in May and reported in November. Luckily my OSO was very cool and let me go PTAD and "work" with him for the last 60 days leading up to my report date. It allowed me to start getting paid and get my wife and daughter in DEERS and tricare.

See if you can do PTAD with your OSO while you wait to report. It also might make a difference in a PCS move.

I thought about that too. It would allow me to get a lot of stuff done before heading out to Virginia. I'll have to talk to the OSO and see what she says. I was hoping I would do IFS (used to be called FIP, I think) before Quantico so I could go on active duty, but from what I hear I'll do IFS after TBS.

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
This is interesting to me too because I'm hoping to get dragged along to TBS with my SO next fall, While he's there awaiting, I don't know what you'd call it "pick up" maybe? But waiting for his class to start, are we even able to get on a wait list for housing, or should be just not bother? I've heard its tight at Quantico

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No housing until he puts a ring on your finger and signs on the dotted line.

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
Yeah we knew about the marriage thing, its supposedly part of the plan. If it doesn't work out that way, then I'll find another road to travel down. We were just wondering, if he gets assigned to a class that starts in Nov or Dec, but he gets comissioned in August, can he/we get in line for housing, or does he have to wait until he starts TBS?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can't do anything until you are married. In order to apply for housing, you'll need a copy of his Page 2 (navy terms here, don't know what "page" it is for MC) listing you as a dependent. That can't happen until he is able to show the personnel office a copy of your marriage certificate. That can't happen until....well, you know.

Raptor2216

tony7500 said:
So I finally graduated college and accepted my commission on July 1st. The papers that came with my Warrant set a tentative TBS date of 27 NOV with Alpha Co. My OSO isn't very helpful about answering my questions so I thought you guys might know some answers. So here goes.

1. When will I be able to get my ID? I've gone to the JRC here at Camp Pendleton 3 times and called them at least once a week since I got commissioned and I'm not even in the system yet as an O-1. I am able to access MOL and it shows me as an O-1 on there but to get an ID it still shows me as an E-5 from OCS.

2. I just got married on August 7. How do I notify the Marines that I'm married? Do I just tell them when I get to TBS. If I could get an ID I'd be able to get her an ID and them I'd assume she would be in the system.

3. How far in advance will they send the official orders to report to TBS?

4. Will I be able to have a PCS move to TBS or will it be my responsibility to move out there on my own? Being married now and having tons of furniture, it would seem that I could have a PCS move but my OSO didn't know.

5. When will I be able to access benefits like dental and health insurance?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey what's up tony? This is par from UCSD...with the black FZ1. You might want to talk to xxx about the I.D. issue b/c I think he already has his. If you know xxx, you may want to ask him as well b/c he's had his I.D. for a while now. I'm going to be commissioned here next month and I need to start looking into some of this. I swear to god that no one has any clue about their job at the office. I've had to make 5 trips to mirimar medical for the same damn thing because it they seem to need a different signature every 5 mins. I hope its all settled now but I guess I'll know for sure when the big day comes. Anyway, congrats on the marriage and commission and goodluck with the moving and all.

tony7500

0+ hours...
P_ubhi18 said:
Hey what's up tony? This is par from UCSD...with the black FZ1. You might want to talk to xxx about the I.D. issue b/c I think he already has his. If you know xxx, you may want to ask him as well b/c he's had his I.D. for a while now. I'm going to be commissioned here next month and I need to start looking into some of this. I swear to god that no one has any clue about their job at the office. I've had to make 5 trips to mirimar medical for the same damn thing because it they seem to need a different signature every 5 mins. I hope its all settled now but I guess I'll know for sure when the big day comes. Anyway, congrats on the marriage and commission and goodluck with the moving and all.

Hey Par, good to hear from you. Check your PM's. I sent you a couple questions...