• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newly Commissioned: A few questions

tony7500

0+ hours...
So I finally graduated college and accepted my commission on July 1st. The papers that came with my Warrant set a tentative TBS date of 27 NOV with Alpha Co. My OSO isn't very helpful about answering my questions so I thought you guys might know some answers. So here goes.

1. When will I be able to get my ID? I've gone to the JRC here at Camp Pendleton 3 times and called them at least once a week since I got commissioned and I'm not even in the system yet as an O-1. I am able to access MOL and it shows me as an O-1 on there but to get an ID it still shows me as an E-5 from OCS.

2. I just got married on August 7. How do I notify the Marines that I'm married? Do I just tell them when I get to TBS. If I could get an ID I'd be able to get her an ID and them I'd assume she would be in the system.

3. How far in advance will they send the official orders to report to TBS?

4. Will I be able to have a PCS move to TBS or will it be my responsibility to move out there on my own? Being married now and having tons of furniture, it would seem that I could have a PCS move but my OSO didn't know.

5. When will I be able to access benefits like dental and health insurance?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Reactions: E5B

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
While vsoj's post was dead on, there were a few people who'd worked the system a bit to get their IDs before TBS. I did Fox 2003, and one of the biggest issues we had as student company staff during zero week was getting everyone their IDs. Granted, it was during the last days before the mandatory possession date for the new smart cards, and the DEERS office was swamped. A state-issued photo ID and a copy of your orders (when you receive them) will serve as your interim ID card until you get a real one.

tony7500

0+ hours...
Thanks for the great reply vsoJ. It all sounds pretty good except for the not being able to do a PCS move to TBS. We'll just have to do a DITY move and see if they will re-imburse use once we get there. Also, 1 wk prior for my orders ain't gonna be pretty. I sure hope they give me 30 days notice to get out of my housing lease and move my crap 3000 miles. Again, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. This board sure is helpful. :icon_mi_6

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
That's odd- I had very little difficulty getting a reserve ID issued from the Henderson Hall ID office last winter after my OSO recommended that I get one. I brought my civilian ID and the most recent copy of my orders. The person in the ID office seemed a little bit skeptical when I was explaining why I was getting an ID for the first time, but she still gave it to me. It seems like there's no real consistent policy on when newly commissioned LTs get their IDs. You might try another ID office somewhere and see if you get different results.

BTW, what difference is there between the green reserve ID and an active duty ID card?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call the admin folks out at TBS. There are some things I'm reading here that don't sound right. And before anyone responds with "that how it happened to me"....that doesn't make it right. So I'll reiterate, check with the TBS folks who handle this stuff all the time.

As for the medical/dental...well, if you're not active duty now, then medical/dental coverage should begin the day you begin your official travel for getting out to TBS. As for your wife, that's a different story altogether. At the very least, you'll need a copy (certified?) of your marriage certificate to get her into DEERS (which is needed for TRICARE).

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was talking more of when getting orders and being/not being able to do a PCS move. If you're not on active duty (or even the reserves no less) until the day you check into TBS (minus the mustangs), then not being able to get an ID card makes sense. In essence, you're still a civilian.

tony7500

0+ hours...
Steve Wilkins said:
If you're not on active duty (or even the reserves no less) until the day you check into TBS (minus the mustangs), then not being able to get an ID card makes sense. In essence, you're still a civilian.

That's definitely a gray area in the system that I don't agree with. It seems that since I accepted my commission, signed my paperwork, and am in the MOL system, I should be able to get an ID card at the least. I find it funny that the Marines won't "claim" me yet as a Marine. So should I be addressed as Sir? Should I be allowed to wear cammies with butter bars? Should enlisted even salute me even though I don't even rate an ID card?

I'm probably worrying too much about this but I'm just really frustrated about the whole "can't do a PCS" move thing. ( I just hope we get reimbursed for the DITY move) We just got married 2 weeks ago and in a couple months we'll have to be separated for 6 months while I'm at TBS? Doesn't seem right, but I guess that's just the military for ya. Thanks again for everyone's input.

*By the way Steve, that's one cool Beagle you got there. I've always loved Beagles*

tony7500

0+ hours...
vsoJ said:
Your wife can move down to the Quantico area and you will be able to see her just about every night and every weekend.

I'm more worried about moving all our stuff 3,000 miles, including the wife. I'm not even sure if it'll all fit in a U-Haul trailer, including the wife. I also have a motorcycle and I know that normally the Marines will pay to ship the motorcycle, so I need to figure out if this will get reimbursed as well if I have to ship it myself. If I do a DITY I'll have to confirm that all our expenses will get reimbursed.

usmcecho4

pilot
It might suck balls but you could become a Geo Bachelor and live in the BOQ, keep your wife in CA, and collect BAH for CA. Then you could worry about the moving and all that crap later. A couple of guys in my platoon did that.

s/f,
usmcecho4

tony7500

0+ hours...
usmcecho4 said:
It might suck balls but you could become a Geo Bachelor and live in the BOQ, keep your wife in CA, and collect BAH for CA. Then you could worry about the moving and all that crap later. A couple of guys in my platoon did that.

s/f,
usmcecho4

It's definitely an option, but I don't think the wife would like it too much....

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
it just dawned on me....but is this why they have you guys report in suits vice Alphas? Because you're technically not on active duty until you report in (again, minus the mustangs who are already on active duty at time of commissioning)?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
tony7500 said:
*By the way Steve, that's one cool Beagle you got there. I've always loved Beagles*
Beagle? She's no Beagle. She's a pure bred mutt. Better than any Beagle any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

phrogpilot73

vsoJ said:
No prob bud, as for the DITY stuff, just make sure you get EMPTY and FULL weight tickets for the moving van or whatever you use and SAVE ALL your receipts and more than likely you will actually make a profit off the move.
Quick tip - EMPTY weight, make sure you're on fumes/about to head to the gas station, no spare tire, etc... EMPTY! Full, make sure it's a full tank of gas, spare tire, etc...

esday1 said:
BTW, what difference is there between the green reserve ID and an active duty ID card?
Umm... Green is active duty (with the old ID cards), Pink is reserves, and Orange is dependent.

Reactions: E5B

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
with the CAC ID's, there's no way to distinguish b/t active duty and reserves.