• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New RIOT Trainer

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
FLYTPAY is right - if you really want to improve in the T-34/T-6, spend your time flying the actual sims vice a computer game. while the RIOT trainer was somewhat helpful to me when starting out in BIs/RIs, the time i spent learning in the sims was a major part of my progression in primary. IMHO, the sims (while not the same as real flying) translate a lot more to the aircraft than do video games.

Agree with that. The sims at base are a big help for both the airplane and your practice sims.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FLYTPAY is right - if you really want to improve in the T-34/T-6, spend your time flying the actual sims vice a computer game. while the RIOT trainer was somewhat helpful to me when starting out in BIs/RIs, the time i spent learning in the sims was a major part of my progression in primary. IMHO, the sims (while not the same as real flying) translate a lot more to the aircraft than do video games.

Maybe. If it worked for you, great, but the RIOT can be a good tool too. After BIs, I flew in the sim exactly once in Primary. No, I don't mean one practice flight, I mean once, period. But playing around at home w/ the RIOT was more helpful because it made me comfortable with procedures and making the needles do what you want. Of course, when I went back to the sims in Intermediate, my procedures were fine, but I couldn't fly the thing to save my life.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Maybe. If it worked for you, great, but the RIOT can be a good tool too. After BIs, I flew in the sim exactly once in Primary. No, I don't mean one practice flight, I mean once, period. But playing around at home w/ the RIOT was more helpful because it made me comfortable with procedures and making the needles do what you want. Of course, when I went back to the sims in Intermediate, my procedures were fine, but I couldn't fly the thing to save my life.

Have you done a loop in the sims?

This guy has. I don't remember if it was intentional or not. :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
Have you done a loop in the sims?

I think there's a rule that says you have to try every stupid thing you can think of in the sim. can you barrel roll or loop a 60? sure as shit ain't gonna try it in real life, but might as well give it a go in the sim (the sim kills you). Can you make that auto from 100'/150 kts? You did? Now lets go lower! Short of putting your fist through the flight display, you're not gonna break the sim and it's not going to kill you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think there's a rule that says you have to try every stupid thing you can think of in the sim. can you barrel roll or loop a 60? sure as shit ain't gonna try it in real life, but might as well give it a go in the sim (the sim kills you).

I guess the Bravo is that much better an airframe. I've looped around the Coronado bridge and didn't die. Clearly, it's more robust (and has nothing to do with 30 year old technology behind the sim). If you want to prove me wrong, I'll be happy to hold your wings for you.

Italian Pilot

Help for Riot Trainer

Hello,
I'm an italian student at TW5 ed i need to know how i can get the riot trainer 6 (if i'm not wrong).
I've found the link on you web-site but tells me that i need a certificate to go in there. So please tell me where i can find it, because i realy need that for my RIs.

Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say that i work with vista so, i need something that can work with vista.
The IP this morning told me about a web-site:
www.cfs.cnet.navy.mil/microsimptt/download.cfm
but I can't open that.
He told me that there is a versione for Vista...

Thank a lot

Try talking to your TIMS help desk @ TW5.....take a thumb drive and they will give you a copy of the RIOT program. The RIOT program is available on all TIMS machines.

-ea6bflyr ;)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, sorry for thread resurrection, but anyone else in T-6 land have issues with the v.6 beta of the RIOT trainer? I got it downloaded and set up and everything, the only problem is it is showing no EFIS panel, which makes it slightly impossible to fly a route since you can't select a VOR needle. I tried downloading the v.5 but since I have Vista my computer did not like that option and I really don't feel like going to Griffith every time I want to use it. Anyone else have any luck here?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I had to resize the window to get v6 to show everything. Can't remember how exactly, but play with the window size.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Another training aid: Microsoft FSX. If you have a computer that can run it its pretty darn good. You wont have a T-34 to fly but you can get online in a private session with a buddy share or fly a separate aircraft and fly almost any approach in the U.S. with your pubs. You obviously wont be able to do aircraft specific stuff like specific power changes and exact T-34 airspeeds, but it will help with the big picture and show you where you are most likely to get task saturated and screw up. Also if you can fly forms in FSX with a friend you'll definitely be able to do it in the plane with a trim wheel no problem. The only downside is you need a decent computer and a decent joystick. If you have the money I recommend it.

You can buy the T34C off the web for about 25 dollars. Google alphasim. Great tool with only very minor inaccuracies. The power settings are alittle off and you only have VOR/DME, but it beats the shit out of 2100 prof sits IMHO. Not sure if whiting is tacan only, but it works great for any approach you will shoot in the corpus area.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You know, I never used that RIOT trainer...not saying it isn't good shit for some people; but I never got wrapped around the axle about "flying" at home. Most of my chairflying involved checklists, EP's and the pattern...instruments never seemed to require that much work...